Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #346 of 706
  yeah you haven't seen what these things could do.  That x3 won't have enough juice of these girls either.  Get an amp you won't regret it 
wink.gif

oh yeah, it'll take a couple of months of constant wearing for these things to loosen up.  or you can just stretch them out by hand.

Really? I mean the X3 has a pretty OK amp built into it. I can't imagine these would need more power than that.. I can't run most of my headphones higher than 50% volume with it. We'll see how that goes today.

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #347 of 706
  SAC, or did you mean DAC?  If you talking about a DAC the one built into a the ipod is pretty good compared to these budget DACs.  I had a fiio e18 before and couldn't tell the difference when it was plugged and unplugged into my phone, ipod, or comp.  That was the only DAC that i've tried on a mobile device.  If you have a lot of lossless files maybe you should look into a good DAP.  Something like the fiio x5 or ibasso dx90.  I haven't tried any but I've heard that the x5 is great.

Oops, DAC.  Typo.  Stupid iphone.

Anyways, just got the Fiio e12 like 10 minutes ago in the mail.  I thought these 770's sounded good before they were amped.  With this little amp, WOW.  I've got the Wall in Flac and Pearl Jam's newest in Flac fired up.  They sound SO good.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #348 of 706
Oh yeah, a decent amp gets more out of them, a desktop amp is even better.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #349 of 706
  Oh yeah, a decent amp gets more out of them, a desktop amp is even better.

I concur. My Fiio E11 just came in today and everything about my DT770 is better. The sound stage opened up, the bass is louder and tightened up even more, everything went from sounding distant to how they're supposed to (metal is in your face, orchestras actually sound like orchestras), the mids came forward and the treble is louder. It really shows the V shaped signature that it's said to have. It's a more accurate and better sounding headphone now. After running it unamped since I got it in January I finally hear what I've been missing out on.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #350 of 706
Long time lurker, infrequent poster.

Have had my DT770 80 Ohms for more than 6 years... love them to death. I know I haven't gotten all I can out of them as they are running mostly via a Sennheiser USB DAC through my Mac Pro. I tried the analog out, but that was just not good. 

I FINALLY found out that Beyerdynamic.com, the US site sells the plastic replacement piece that holds the metal slider. I was getting close to looking to either buying a new set or maybe getting a different set of cans. Having had these headphones for probably 8 years (that's how long I've had the Mac Pro) and my kids were younger then, these cans have seen TONS of abuse and survived it all. They need a new headband (no rips, just padding isn't padding anymore... these have been worn a TON) and new earpads...but doggone, they just keep sounding better and better. 

Which leads me on my CandyLand-esque journey to my question.

I'm FINALLY gonna figure out how to get a headphone amp. So... which headphone amp/DAC do I go with to mate with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 Ohm cans and my Mac Pro?

As a bonus, if it could also work with my newly acquired iPhone 6plus, that would be double awesome.

Like, are the O2/ODAC combo worth it? And what about the Beyerdynamic A 200 P? That *looks* to be exactly what I'm looking for in just the right form factor. Is it worth the money? Will it power the 770 80ohms?

I would have asked this in the headphone amp section, but those threads seemed to derail quickly into religious discussions about amps. To quote a phrase my kids use... "ain't nobody got time for that"

Anyway, I love reading the hundreds if not thousands of threads on all things audio here. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #352 of 706
  I'm FINALLY gonna figure out how to get a headphone amp. So... which headphone amp/DAC do I go with to mate with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 Ohm cans and my Mac Pro?

As a bonus, if it could also work with my newly acquired iPhone 6plus, that would be double awesome.

Like, are the O2/ODAC combo worth it? And what about the Beyerdynamic A 200 P? That *looks* to be exactly what I'm looking for in just the right form factor. Is it worth the money? Will it power the 770 80ohms?

I would have asked this in the headphone amp section, but those threads seemed to derail quickly into religious discussions about amps. To quote a phrase my kids use... "ain't nobody got time for that"

Anyway, I love reading the hundreds if not thousands of threads on all things audio here. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

You guys are really starting to make me miss having my DT770 Pros. I'll probably end up with another pair sooner or later - they're just a very convenient headphone thanks to their isolation and durability, not to mention their great sound.

Anyways, to you question - if you're looking for a small desktop amp I really like the Schiit Magni/Modi stack. Haven't heard the O2/ODAC combo, but that should work great as well. However, neither of these will work with your iPhone 6 Plus. 

If you're looking for an amp that works with your phone as well, then you're generally going to be looking at portable amp/dacs (there are quite a few now, just do a quick search) but they're a lot more expensive than either of the desktop setups mentioned above, and probably won't sound much better until you spend significantly more money.
Good luck with your search 
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #354 of 706

I'm interested in this as well - except I play mostly from a Fiio X5.  Are these still upgrades to the Amp/DAC in the X5? What about compared to Fiio E12?

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #355 of 706
After using my DT770 80 ohm for half a year without an amp I've decided to get one now. However, I am not sure which one should I get.. I know for sure that I need/want a portable one since I move a lot. So... Fiio E11, Fiio E12 or something else? Any ideas?

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #356 of 706
After using my DT770 80 ohm for half a year without an amp I've decided to get one now. However, I am not sure which one should I get.. I know for sure that I need/want a portable one since I move a lot. So... Fiio E11, Fiio E12 or something else? Any ideas?

What's your budget?

Depending on that i would recomment the Cayin C5 - amazing amp. Or if you also need a mobile dac/amp combo, the JDSLabs C5D. I own both of these and they rock with the DT770 (though I have the 32Ohm ltd edition).

Sure you dont want to jump and buy a high quality dap right away that you can also use as DAC/amp on the desktop?

Ibasso DX50 is only $249 at the momernt and the new Fiio X3 II is around the corner for $199... Both can be used as DAC/amp too.

Cheers,
K
Edit: wrong spellchecker - cleaned up all typos

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #357 of 706

Fiio e07k, FiiO e17k or C5D.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #358 of 706

I'm interested in this as well - except I play mostly from a Fiio X5.  Are these still upgrades to the Amp/DAC in the X5? What about compared to Fiio E12?

+1 for the O2&ODAC; in order to beat it for quality, some serious dollars need to be spent (unless an amp for more niche/specific applications is needed, like driving inefficient planars or something. It will perform marvellously for the 770). Schiit Modi & Magni combo is also very good at the price point. Both of those dac/amp combos are desk setups and take a USB input. For the A200p, you're paying a premium for a) the brand and b) portability, but it'll definitely do the job and look fantastic whilst doing it.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #359 of 706
Well, since it's going to be my first AMP, I don't think I'm inclined to pay very much :) I'd say my budget is up to 90-100 pounds (135-150 usd). After checking out the prices, I've spotted FiiO Andes E07K having a discount from 120 pounds to 70 (180 to 105 in usd). I believe it's a steal, what do you think?

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #360 of 706
I love my 80 ohms. They're so comfortable and sound amazing (noticeably better at high volumes, my ears won't thank me for that). I've found two ways to make them sound  better. One is an itunes plugin for your computer (which can be torrented) called srs iwow. It really gives the headphones the extra bass that I think they miss. Also when using spotify (320kb music is great) changing the equalizer to make the high end and low end a little bit raised (sort of like the default acoustic eq but more pronounced) really improves the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back