Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Sep 8, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #316 of 706
  I guess I'll have to check out Guitar Center or something... otherwise its ebay I suppose. Would any other cans in do the job similarly for the same price range?

depending on what your gonna use it for. Not a lot are even in the same league for what you get for your money.  out of all the cans that i've tried.  nothing can come close to its comfort, build, soundstage, bass and isolation.  the only ones that come close with sq is probably audio technica's m50.  Don't get me wrong, the dt770's has its flaws but the pros out weighs the cons heavily.  If you are patient and don't mind second hand.  theres ones that come on the fs/ft forum periodically and people usually keep their equipment in good shape around here. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #317 of 706
  depending on what your gonna use it for. Not a lot are even in the same league for what you get for your money.  out of all the cans that i've tried.  nothing can come close to its comfort, build, soundstage, bass and isolation.  the only ones that come close with sq is probably audio technica's m50.  Don't get me wrong, the dt770's has its flaws but the pros out weighs the cons heavily.  If you are patient and don't mind second hand.  theres ones that come on the fs/ft forum periodically and people usually keep their equipment in good shape around here. 

Just a mix of everything gaming/music. Just seems hard to find some brand news ones... Not really looking for used ones and I have a very low patience level lol. So the hunt between Guitar Center wants $229.99 and Ebay, Amazon's pricing is super jacked up. Also considering some Audio Technica A900X's from buydig.com or Beach Camera.

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #322 of 706
Wanted to buy some black earpads for these from Amazon since mine are turning green.

Are the black Velour pads thicker and softer than the ones on the 770-Pro-80? Someone told me the ones on the Pro 80 are a bit thinner and firmer than the other DT's

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #323 of 706
990 pads are the softest, the 880s might be the same but I remember my pair being more firm than the 990s pads I have now, and yes the 770s are the most firm (dense). Someone told me to get T70 pads for my 770s at one point for added comfort and an all black appearance. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #324 of 706
Does anyone here use the Fiio e07k along with their DT770? I have the DT770 Pro 80 (of course, why else would I be here?) and I'm looking at getting that for a budget amp/DAC solution.

I want to know how much the DT770 Pro 80 benefits from an amp and a DAC. Right now I'm using my laptop's onboard sound. They sound great, but from what I've read they have more potential. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #325 of 706
  Does anyone here use the Fiio e07k along with their DT770? I have the DT770 Pro 80 (of course, why else would I be here?) and I'm looking at getting that for a budget amp/DAC solution.

I want to know how much the DT770 Pro 80 benefits from an amp and a DAC. Right now I'm using my laptop's onboard sound. They sound great, but from what I've read they have more potential. 

I use the Fiio E17 with the DT's. Not exactly the same, but they definitely benefit from the amp. The E17/E07k also gives you the option to use bass and treble gain, which I use quite a bit, depending on the music I'm listening to and the mood I'm in!

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #327 of 706

I generally don't encourage buying amps you don't need, but bottomline the e7 is a great solution for the 80 ohm 770. Both dac and amp measure extremely well, and it features a seriously low output impedance, meaning the signal for the 770 will be extremely clean. Which is quite a big deal, because you don't want to bloat the 770's bass.

I have to say my realtek 892 does just as good a job as an E7 though, at least for as far as I can hear.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #328 of 706

The 880 pads are not the suitable for the 770. This is important, I owned both the 880 and 770 at one point, and putting the 880 pads on the 770 pretty much killed their sound. I think it's because the 880 pads don't isolate.

I never said you should swap the pads, I was posting that because the person posting before me was talking about the density of the pads.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #329 of 706
After a rather extensive burn in with pink noise, my pair of 770/80 are doing "alright". 

Right now they are powered by a Parasound ZPre2, that is fed analog (RCA) from a Behringer uca-202(it also feeds my HT with the optical output), from the usb out on my networked laptop.  External Esata 2TB drive...not a fan of .mp3 compression....and keep every audio file in .wav.   
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or opinions of the headphone output stage of the ZPre2?....I feel like I might be able to get just a little bit more out of the 770's with an outboard amp, run right from the zpre analog main out....  Unfortunately, price is a concern, but I am fairly handy with a soldering iron.  I have been looking at some of the tube amp kits available on FleaBay and think that the right tube combo would naturally roll off some of the bass, and brighten up the mids. 

I do not have much experience with headphones, but have been in Hi-Fi speaker design and construction for decades...ugh...(moment I realized it really has been decades since I started doing this...explitive....lol). 

Anyway, minor mental breakdown aside, has anyone run these cans with those tube amp kits?  If there is a thread already, and my search skills are commensurate with my age, please direct the semi-elderly man to where I can find the info I seek.....:wink:...  Thanks...Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back