Beyerdynamic Dt250 vs shure srh840 a brief comparison
Sep 15, 2011 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bookaboo

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to do a brief comparison between the dt250 80ohm and the srh840. I have had both side by side for the last week and have just returned the srh 840s which gives away the verdict of the comparison a little but I stress this is IMHO.

I will break the comparison into three parts looking at bass, mids and highs and tested them with an iPod classic and through a benchmark dac 1

Bass - both have great bass, the srh 840 has a little more mid bass bloat which gives the impression that you have a bass boost on. The dt250 is tighter and cleaner

Mids - both are nice and smooth with the dt 250 sounding a little cleaner due to the lack of mid bass bloat from the srh840 although the srh 840 is a little warmer due to this.

Highs - both have nice treble, the dt250 is smooth and non fatiguing. The srh840 is not not fatiguing either but is a little brighter and shows off a touch of sibilance on hot recordings.

I was in love with the srh840 when I first heard it and would have been happy to stay with it if I hadn't put it head to head with the dt250 but as this addiction grows in you. Yu just have to try the next best thing and I am glad I did because I find the dt 250 to be more to my liking thus I have returned the srh840. A much cleaner and more accurate representation of the music. As others have said they just get out of the way of the music and let it flow through.

Both are great all rounders that sound great out of the iPod and scale up with better amplification.
As I said if I had never heard the dt250 I would say that the srh840 was the best closed cans around - but now I say it comes in a close second.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 19
I just wanted to add a review of the comfort factor between the 2 models, the: dt250 is much lighter and smaller than the srh840, not to say that the srh840 is uncomfortable, just that it is quite heavy and cumbersome and the Pleather feels a little claustrophobic to my ears compared to the velour of the beyerdynamics. So there you go, I think I'll be hanging onto these dt250s for a long time - ialthough its got me wondering what the 250 ohm version sounds like............(oh no it's happening again)

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
I just wanted to add a review of the comfort factor between the 2 models, the: dt250 is much lighter and smaller than the srh840, not to say that the srh840 is uncomfortable, just that it is quite heavy and cumbersome and the Pleather feels a little claustrophobic to my ears compared to the velour of the beyerdynamics. So there you go, I think I'll be hanging onto these dt250s for a long time - ialthough its got me wondering what the 250 ohm version sounds like............(oh no it's happening again)

I found this:

Not sure there's really a difference though, my dt250 sounds like the first one, seems like the one you got is more like the second. There's probably just some variation in how they put these things together.

Glad you like them. Next to my srh840s mine are bassy and cold. brrr...

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 19
Interesting comparison. I had the dt250 and only sold it so I could get a set of open phones. it was very enjoyable for a closed phone....'neutral', not hyped in any way.. It had none of the 'issues' I was having with the sony v6.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 19
I just got this email from beyerdynamic in Germany re the differences between the 80 ohms and 250 ohm dt250s.

thank you for your mail! The 80 ohms and 250 ohms transducers differ both in mechanics and sound: the 80 ohms model has a quite long overhang voicecoil which offers a very high power handling (for full throttle use in recording studios for example). For this, we need a lot of copper for the voice coil making the moving mass (diaphragm and voice coil weight) higher than in a 250 ohms transducer. The higher impedance model has a lighter and shorter underhang voice coil and therefore sounds more detailed, more controlled. Both will work with an Ipod, the 80 ohms version will propably play slightly louder than the 250 ohms version, but as you plan to use them with the Benchmark headphone amp, i personally would prefer the 250 ohms phones for sound reasons and accept a slightly lower maximum volume from the Ipod. Or you take both :wink:
Hope, this helps!

Damn, I really want to try the 250 ohm model now. Anyone want to sell theirs?

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 19
As luck would have it I found a seller here in Australia who is doing a clearance on dt250/250 @ $199. they also have the dt770/250 @ $249. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but thought I would share the good fortune with my felllow headfiers. The website is pccasegear.com. I have already had a brief listen and can already hear the differences between the 2 models. Too early to post impressions but I have a few weeks of good listening ahead as I audition these vs my 80 ohm model.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 19
some early impressions.

both are great - a similar thing to the hd600 and hd650. the 250ohm is more detailed and less warm than the 80ohm. i like both of them equally at this stage. the 250ohm is yet to burn in so the highs are a little sharp but that should settle down at about the 50hrs mark judging by what happened when i bought the 80ohm model.

will post some more detailed impressions later

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 19

I had the 80ohm version but didn't find it to be 'warm'. I'm curious how the 250ohm model would sound out of an iPod or Clip. I originally went with the 80ohm one so I could use it as an upgrade to the v6 as a portable...kind of sorry I sold it since it WAS a definite upgrade over the v6, I kept the v6 because it folds up and the beyer doesn't.
Quote:
some early impressions.

both are great - a similar thing to the hd600 and hd650. the 250ohm is more detailed and less warm than the 80ohm. i like both of them equally at this stage. the 250ohm is yet to burn in so the highs are a little sharp but that should settle down at about the 50hrs mark judging by what happened when i bought the 80ohm model.

will post some more detailed impressions later

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #10 of 19
The 250 ohm can be used out of an iPod but it lacks bass slam - gives great detail though. The 80 ohm is much lusher and has a bigger mid bass sound which works well when the iPod is driving them but can almost sound too big with an amp and muddy things a little. That being said I really can't decide which one to return cause I like them both for different reasons.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 19
Good information...thanks! Should I ever have some extra money to spend on a good portable it will be tough to decide. There's also the shure 440 for a lot less money....lots of good write ups on them, though they are probably not in the same league as the Beyers

Quote:
The 250 ohm can be used out of an iPod but it lacks bass slam - gives great detail though. The 80 ohm is much lusher and has a bigger mid bass sound which works well when the iPod is driving them but can almost sound too big with an amp and muddy things a little. That being said I really can't decide which one to return cause I like them both for different reasons.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 19
just an update to this thread, i am liking the dt250/80 more and more and it is leaving the dt250/250 in its wake. i think if i had to choose between the 2 i would keep only the dt250/80 as i am in love with its approach to music - just makes you want to listen to the music and get lost in it instead of listening for technicalities. the dt250/250 are more nuetral and very hd600 sounding - as i have recently picked up a pair of hd600s i think i might be moving the dt250/250s on as tnhe hd600 has the same sound signature but just gives me more technicalities and is more the reference headphone that i wanted it to be. so i think that will complete my setup for the moment

HD600 - reference
RS2 - rock, jazz, live exciting feeling
DT250/80 - closed, good for everything

Source - Benchmark DAC 1 USB

time to give my wallet a break
L3000.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 19
Has anyone else tried the DT250-250 at this point? Looking at the doctorhead graph above as well as this one from headroom they seem outstanding in how they don't dip off until past 4kHz:

Compare to German Meastro GMP 8.300 D(300Ohm):

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 19
For DT250-80 users

I've made a preset for foo_dsp_xgeq that simulates the responce of the of the DT250-250 on the DT250-80 model. It's based the graphs from doctohead.ru, posted by 200poundsofamp. The graph curves were made into discrete values 1/3rd octave apart by hand, then subracted and rounded to the nearest .5dB.

http://www.box.com/s/76n1uzaaxh5nsmhs89of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back