Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 ohm or 250 ohm?
Oct 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #31 of 41
If you believe that high impedance headphones degrade the quality in some magical and unmeasurable way, even if they are loud enough without any clipping, you may want to join the discussion here or here. It is important to note that volume greatly affects how sound is perceived (including bass, dynamics, and more), is difficult to match by ear (thus making many/most subjective amplifier comparisons suspect), and the level of "enough power" varies by person.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #32 of 41
Recently I did testing with my 3DS. With the aid of the E17, I used both the DT990 32 and DT990 250ohm. The DT990 250 sounded absolutely choked, even when it sounded as loud as I'd usually want from any headphone. The 32ohm had considerably more body, and energy. The E17 wasn't up to the task of driving the 250ohm nin this situation. I can only imagine how bad the E5/6/7 would have done.

On another source, the differences were negligible, and were mostly between the better refinement, and warmer body of the 250ohm sound over the 32ohm.

But hey, go ahead. Spend $300 on a headphone and drive them with the bare necessities if it helps you sleep better at night.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #37 of 41
I recommend DT990 Pro. It's 250 Ohms, which is a nice middle ground between sound quality and driveability, sounds almost identical to the Premium edition and costs a good chuck less money - it can be bought for well under $200 new. DT990 premium looks a bit cooler perhaps and may be a bit more comfortable due to weaker clamping force and a straight cable (Pro version cable is coiled), but other than that it's not worth the extra money IMO.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #39 of 41
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Heya,

The different ohms are grossly over exaggerated here. I would suggest you get what you will be able to run. Sonically, the differences are minimal and probably not even discernable of the headphone itself, but more the amplifiers being used for them. The 250ohm and 600ohm are the same headphone with a different impedance rating, nothing more. The point is simply to match the right impedance with an appropriate amp. If you don't have something capable of running the 600ohm now, I wouldn't spend $200+ on a headphone and wait a few months to get something to power it later, you'll just have a headphone that you can't fully appreciate for a while and it will not be very useful or fun. I would get the 250ohm version now and get by with it. It still won't be fully powered, but a 600ohm headphone on something that can't power it will be very difficult to hear much of anything in the bassy regions from. You'll hear some treble and mids, but it will be soft and not dynamic at all. The 250ohm would be more appropriate, as it can at least power in some regard from most sources.

You could get a Fiio E10 ($60) now with a 250ohm DT990 and skip the STX all together.

Very best,

Hello Head-Fi, 
  I have been a long time lurker, 2 years now. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is endless, I would like to thank all that have helped me over the years.

During the past two years I have collected quite a few headphones, Beyer's, Ultrasones, AKG's, and even Turtle Beach PX5 Gaming headphones. I also have access to most main stream headphones which has provided me with the opportunity to test quite a few headphones.

My man go to headphone is the Beyer-dynamic DT990. I purchased both the 250ohm and 600ohm verisons (started off with the 250ohm loved sound decided to compare to 600ohm) the sound signature on these two is the same, but quality of that sound signature is were these two headphones defer. 

I tested both headphones using Fiio E17 docked to E09k, source mainly loss-less music files and blu ray movies, using a Sony Vaio S Laptop. When I performed each test i would listen to the same track with each headphone note what I liked and what I disliked, same with movies, during each movie I would switch headphones back and forth. Volume and equalizer were untouched when switching between headphones. 

DT990 250 were fatiguing, bass was muddy on bass heavy music, sound stage was smaller on the 250s, explosions and dialog were just as good on both headphones. DT990 600's were comfortable, bass was more clear, treble was under control and the over sound stage was larger. 

Anyone interested in these headphones I recommend going with the 600 ohm version the difference in price is minimal, the 250ohm and 600ohm ARE the same headphones with different impedance rating, but what the difference in impedance does for the overall quality of sound is were they defer.

Also when anyone gets into this region 200+ for a pair of headphones headphone amp is important, invest in a good one, their are many affordable options out there. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:
beerchug.gif

Hello Head-Fi, 
  I have been a long time lurker, 2 years now. The wealth of knowledge on this forum is endless, I would like to thank all that have helped me over the years.

During the past two years I have collected quite a few headphones, Beyer's, Ultrasones, AKG's, and even Turtle Beach PX5 Gaming headphones. I also have access to most main stream headphones which has provided me with the opportunity to test quite a few headphones.

My man go to headphone is the Beyer-dynamic DT990. I purchased both the 250ohm and 600ohm verisons (started off with the 250ohm loved sound decided to compare to 600ohm) the sound signature on these two is the same, but quality of that sound signature is were these two headphones defer. 

I tested both headphones using Fiio E17 docked to E09k, source mainly loss-less music files and blu ray movies, using a Sony Vaio S Laptop. When I performed each test i would listen to the same track with each headphone note what I liked and what I disliked, same with movies, during each movie I would switch headphones back and forth. Volume and equalizer were untouched when switching between headphones. 

DT990 250 were fatiguing, bass was muddy on bass heavy music, sound stage was smaller on the 250s, explosions and dialog were just as good on both headphones. DT990 600's were comfortable, bass was more clear, treble was under control and the over sound stage was larger. 

Anyone interested in these headphones I recommend going with the 600 ohm version the difference in price is minimal, the 250ohm and 600ohm ARE the same headphones with different impedance rating, but what the difference in impedance does for the overall quality of sound is were they defer.

Also when anyone gets into this region 200+ for a pair of headphones headphone amp is important, invest in a good one, their are many affordable options out there. 

Great post and intresting topic. I am considering to buying 990s 250 or 600ohm. My main use is MOVIES.  I have nice homecinema with 7sp+1sub but lately i have been using my senns 598 (tried 650 also), maybe selling the speakers.
beyersmile.png
 They sound amazing with movies, but with action films i need more bass and dynamics. I think beyer 990 will be the answer. Hell i could buy T1:s but i only watch movies, i dont know if it makes such difference? They cost 2,5x more here where i live.

Watching blueray movies from my htpc.
My setup is: Theatron Aggrippa 7.1 soundcard http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/theatron-agrippa-dts-71.html

Connected with Audioquest high quality expensive coaxial cable to my av-receiver as pass thru, so my receiver does all the work (Harmann Kardon 7.1 ~800€). Harman has Dolby Headphone modes for movies, which is kick ass and makes really the difference. That is why i am not going to buy any headphone amp. I think harman has decent quality dac.  

So the answer is, should i buy 250ohm or 600ohm if you looked my system? Referring to this post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/500965/beyerdynamic-dt990-good-for-movies/15  these cans are way to go for movies and many speaks for the 600ohm version. Remember i am not going to buy hp amp.

Guys what are you thoughts on this? First post on forum, great site!

Edit. I find it strange, that there isnt any tests between headphones in movie use at any hifi magazine or internet. People should really try dolby hp mode with good cans. No going back to speakers.. Sure there are wireless can test with movies, but i dont think sound quality is par with 598/650/990 etc..

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #41 of 41
thanks for your post Velourears

I have a Asus Xonar Essence One computer amp for driving these so I'm thinking of getting the 600 Ohm versions and your review was great help.  What do you think of the new Tesla models? T90   being only 250 ohms....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back