Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Jan 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #151 of 679
The highs are not recessed on the LE for sure, but I think most people say the 80 ohm has pronounced highs as well. Are you sure its not the upper mids you are hearing as recessed? Because I would agree with that on the LEs, but treble is definitely not recessed on the LEs, and I don't remember it being that way on the 80s Ive heard either. What's your source? The 80s tend to sound a little hollow without amping IMO, maybe you should pick up a cheap amp like the E6 or E11 to see if that helps. Seems easier than selling your 80s and/or buying the LEs.
I love my DT770s 80s. Are these that much better? I read the headphonia review and it seemed, at least a little, that maybe the changes had to do with the different pads. Could a pad swap on the 80s make a huge difference. There isn't all the much I'm unsatisfied with on the 80s, they only compliant I have is the mids tend to get a bit muddled at times and high and mids can be recessed 

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #152 of 679
Quote:
The highs are not recessed on the LE for sure, but I think most people say the 80 ohm has pronounced highs as well. Are you sure its not the upper mids you are hearing as recessed? Because I would agree with that on the LEs, but treble is definitely not recessed on the LEs, and I don't remember it being that way on the 80s Ive heard either. What's your source? The 80s tend to sound a little hollow without amping IMO, maybe you should pick up a cheap amp like the E6 or E11 to see if that helps. Seems easier than selling your 80s and/or buying the LEs.

Yeah. Selling the 80s was never an option, I love those phones. I was considering getting the LEs also as I do like the Beyer sound it seems and everyone seems to be talking them up. That's why I was curious if the difference was significant and/or something I could do to my 80s. It could be the mids I'm hearing, I'm really not sure. My source is just my computer or laptop and I have never amped the 80s until just last night. I finally got an amp for the as I had been wanting one for a while, I knew I was never driving them to thier potential. I got a fiio e10 and it cleaned them up quite a bit. The highs definitely pop now and are very clear and forward. It also cleaned up the bass a ton, it still hits good but its tighter and clean now. If I want the bloat back I just flip the bass boost switch and its there lol. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #153 of 679
:) Glad you got what you were looking for. I don't think the LEs are a significant enough departure from the 80 ohm sound to merit owning both, unless you are collecting Beyers or just have lots of cash to throw around on finding the PERFECT one.
Quote:
Yeah. Selling the 80s was never an option, I love those phones. I was considering getting the LEs also as I do like the Beyer sound it seems and everyone seems to be talking them up. That's why I was curious if the difference was significant and/or something I could do to my 80s. It could be the mids I'm hearing, I'm really not sure. My source is just my computer or laptop and I have never amped the 80s until just last night. I finally got an amp for the as I had been wanting one for a while, I knew I was never driving them to thier potential. I got a fiio e10 and it cleaned them up quite a bit. The highs definitely pop now and are very clear and forward. It also cleaned up the bass a ton, it still hits good but its tighter and clean now. If I want the bloat back I just flip the bass boost switch and its there lol. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #154 of 679
Quote:
:) Glad you got what you were looking for. I don't think the LEs are a significant enough departure from the 80 ohm sound to merit owning both, unless you are collecting Beyers or just have lots of cash to throw around on finding the PERFECT one.

lol yeah definitely don't have money to throw around that's for sure. Ill just go back to chasing Sextetts and now I'm just starting to look at orthos. I think its better to get something that's totally different then something that sounds similar unless I'm actually upgrading or a huge improvement. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #157 of 679
Quote:
How will they ever get rid of 11 shirts!

I'm sure there are more than 11 AE's in circulation
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #165 of 679
Quote:
Absolutely not. I think they're incredible. I might sell my Q701.

eek.gif

Well at least you really like your DT-770 Pro LE 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back