Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Jan 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #138 of 679
I put mine up for sale with a couple of trade options just to see what would happen, but I have decided to keep them. They are the best sounding headphones I've owned to date, they sound better than the 80 ohm Pro version IMO. There is some microdetail missing in the midrange but it's a very clear presentation, biggest by far of any closed phone I've heard, and IMO comparable in size to some open headphones, almost as big as K240 mkII, though obviously there isn't quite the same natural air.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #139 of 679
I don't think they are flavor of the month. I just think people are surprised and excited that Beyer made a somewhat neutral pair of phones with actual midrange presence and not recessed like the majority of their products. That's why I bought my pair, but they are on their way back to the store.

Quote:
Are these considered to be FOTM? I saw some posts where people are selling or returning them.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #140 of 679
Quote:
I don't think they are flavor of the month. I just think people are surprised and excited that Beyer made a somewhat neutral pair of phones with actual midrange presence and not recessed like the majority of their products. That's why I bought my pair, but they are on their way back to the store.

What did you not like about it that made you return them?

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #141 of 679
I bought them to see if I could replace my HD580 because I ideally need closed phones. The 770 LE couldn't even come close to matching texture and details of the 580 vocals. The bass was loose and had this unnatural hump in the mid bass region. Highs were nice but a little bright with some cymbals. High quality recordings sounded pretty nice overall. Hip hop and rock were pretty good as well. Modern rock and pop that are not well recorded sounded bad due to the revealing nature of the upper mids and highs. They are not bad phones but not not worth $250 IMO.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #142 of 679
Hmmm kinda sounds like apples to oranges, a closed, neutral professional monitoring tool designed for portable use, vs. a colored, open-back consumer listening device designed for amped home use. I think you simply bought the wrong phones, my friend! 
wink.gif

I agree the LE lacks a bit of midrange detail, some of the instruments can be distant, the treble is a bit overstated, and their lower mids do feel a bit recessed. I've done my research though, and I feel pretty confident saying it's about as good as they come for a closed can with healthy bass response and large soundstage. They are pretty awesome phones for mixing, good isolation and very neutral tonality.

Quote:
I bought them to see if I could replace my HD580 because I ideally need closed phones. The 770 LE couldn't even come close to matching texture and details of the 580 vocals. The bass was loose and had this unnatural hump in the mid bass region. Highs were nice but a little bright with some cymbals. High quality recordings sounded pretty nice overall. Hip hop and rock were pretty good as well. Modern rock and pop that are not well recorded sounded bad due to the revealing nature of the upper mids and highs. They are not bad phones but not not worth $250 IMO.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #143 of 679
How is the bass on these?
I'm looking for tight, deep, thumping bass. Pairing this with a Magni.
I'm looking for bass similar to my Turbine Pro Coppers or better. Can anyone compare?

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #144 of 679
I haven't had the coppers, but I have the Turbines, and other similarly bassy dynamic IEMs, and I have to tell you, headphone bass is very different from earphone bass, and the DT770 exemplifies this despite having emphasized bass. It is less direct, less tactile, more atmospheric. I would guess the DT770 will sound thin and dry compared to your Coppers, and much more distant. It is a very different overall presentation of sound. They are very technically proficient and tonally neutral, with a large soundstage. If you want something more like a headphone version of your coppers, I'd take a look at the M100, or perhaps the Ultrasones 580/780/900, which I haven't heard personally but are well-liked among bass lovers.
How is the bass on these?
I'm looking for tight, deep, thumping bass. Pairing this with a Magni.
I'm looking for bass similar to my Turbine Pro Coppers or better. Can anyone compare?

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #145 of 679
I always tend to harass people when they try to rank in ears against headphones, because the type of sound they provide is just so different. It's like the difference between a motorcycle and a bus.

I just don't think you can really compare the two. You'll have to try out a headphone for yourself to really know what we mean.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #146 of 679
Gilly87, it wasn't suppose to be an apples to apples comparison. I am looking for closed phones to replace my HD580. The 770 is inferior to my ears and not a suitable replacement, but I had to try them to know that. I only trust my own ears and not reviews.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #147 of 679
Sorry lol
Just bought the DT 770 LE's + Magni without ever hearing either of them.
These are also my first headphones so I don't have anything to compare to other then my turbines
The DT 770 80 Ohm was recommended to me, but stumbled upon the LEs for a killer price and read that the 32 and 80 were really similar

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #148 of 679
Quote:
Sorry lol
Just bought the DT 770 LE's + Magni without ever hearing either of them.
These are also my first headphones so I don't have anything to compare to other then my turbines
The DT 770 80 Ohm was recommended to me, but stumbled upon the LEs for a killer price and read that the 32 and 80 were really similar

I'm pretty sure you'll like them.

Don't worry, even if you hate both you can just turn around and resell them on the For Sale forum, and maybe take a $30 loss combined. That's the beauty of Head-Fi.

Jan 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #150 of 679
I love my DT770s 80s. Are these that much better? I read the headphonia review and it seemed, at least a little, that maybe the changes had to do with the different pads. Could a pad swap on the 80s make a huge difference. There isn't all the much I'm unsatisfied with on the 80s, they only compliant I have is the mids tend to get a bit muddled at times and high and mids can be recessed 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back