Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Feb 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #558 of 679
  ok so just installed velour pads.

- WAY more comfortable, esp with glasses.
- I thought the bass would decrease. not really, its less boomy but has more impact. i prefer it this way.
- treble a tad brighter.
- improved/bigger soundstage
- isolation has decreased quite a bit
- leakage has increased a LOT

just initial impressions but im satisfied so far. wow.

I had tried the 250 ohm dt 770 and loved the sound but had to return it due to the insane amount of leakage. I planned on using them in the library and they just wouldn't do. I'm hoping the dt 770 with the leather pads will fix that issue, and maybe I can grab velours for home use.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #559 of 679
Yup, just got them in the mail - the 32 ohm versions prevent leakage so much better than the 250 ohm version. I don't know if this is because of the leather pads or a slightly increased clamping force or what, but I am definitely a happy camper.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #561 of 679
I believe it's the pleather pads. This is because I just got my 32ohms (non limited) the day before yesterday.
They have roughly 12hrs of run time so far and...
The pleather makes the bass boomy. The overall sound seems to be governed by the lower spectrum but leakage is little and isolation is very good (not Shure IEM good, but good enough)
The velour pads reduce the boomy-ness, but also increase the treble to the point I need to EQ down because I find it painful. (things like cymbals and very thin sounds are a bit too piercing to my ears)
I am hoping the treble, of the headphones and not my ears, will settle in time.
I love the bass response with the velour pads but the treble is way too high.

I bought this for video/sound editing and metal/electronica listening.
I would choose velour when monitoring and editing but pleather for portable and easier listening.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #563 of 679
Yeah all 770s have peaky treble...its actually grown on me somehow.

This thread has been GREAT.  I listen to mostly rock and metal with some softer stuff mixed in.  I have a FiiO E7.  The 250 ohm version is about $20 cheaper right now than the 32 ohm version.  I will be listening through the E7 on my laptop most of the time with some iPod listening here and there.  Which version of the 770s would you recommend?  Does it really matter?  I was leaning towards the 32 b/c they (might?) have better rock vocals but I keep second guessing.  I'm fairly certain I'll enjoy either one but I want to make sure :)  I've heard the gray pads are more comfortable and the pleather ones get hot after an hour or so.  If that's the case then maybe since I already have an amp I just need an iPod connector and I could get the 80 or 250.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #564 of 679
I haven't heard the 250, only the 32 LE and 80. I think the 32 LE has noticeably more forward mids, so if vocals are big for you, the 32 LE is a good choice. However I dont think the 32 LE and the new 32 sound quite the same, despite what beyer reps have told me; someone opened up their new 32s and the internals were definitely different, as are the FR graphs. The new 32 FR graph actually looks even flatter, though, with more stability through the mids:

LE:

New 32:

The new one actually looks flatter overall, albeit with peakier treble...

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #565 of 679
  I haven't heard the 250, only the 32 LE and 80. I think the 32 LE has noticeably more forward mids, so if vocals are big for you, the 32 LE is a good choice. However I dont think the 32 LE and the new 32 sound quite the same, despite what beyer reps have told me; someone opened up their new 32s and the internals were definitely different, as are the FR graphs. The new 32 FR graph actually looks even flatter, though, with more stability through the mids:  The new one actually looks flatter overall, albeit with peakier treble...

Thanks for the response.  I'll prob just go for the 32 considering those still likely benefit from an amp anyways. I just don't want to be missing out on sound quality by going with a lower impedance.  Nevertheless, I'm excited about the prospect of getting the 770s.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #566 of 679
I've had the 770 32ohm non-limited for about a week or so. Listening to them on daily basis.
I can tell you this. They benefit more from a good DAC chip than from an AMP first and foremost (i.e. from a Dragonfly they sound really good whereas straight from laptop they don't sound like they are worth the cash)
For loudness, you shouldn't worry to begin with. I can't place the volume on my computer (with or without the Dragonfly) beyond 50% or my ears will bleed.
The same goes for my brand new Clip+ rockboxed. The little thing drives them extremely well and the sound is a real step up from what I had before (ipod classic 5th+ AGK 271mkII -Made in Austria version or SE215s and Dragonfly+AKG/SE215)
I don't think you can go wrong with either version of the DT  770 (32, LE, 80 or 250) but its worth noting that my version has ever so slightly piercing highs (not kind to my ears and I need to EQ that down)

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #567 of 679
Hi all,

I sold my old DT770 Pro 80 and bought the 32 ohms Limited Edition.  I found this to be smoother but the bass reverberations left me wanting to mod it.  So here's what I did so far:

- Replaced the stock pads with the pads from T5p.
   I did this to lessen the reverb or shorten the bass decay and add a bit more air to the treble.  And it did effect in those two desired qualities.

- Punched three holes in the middle of the foams that cover the drivers.
   I did this to bring forward the slight-recessed mids of the 770 LE.

The stock pads of the Limited Edition 770:

The new pad:

The mod on the driver covers:

I tried the velours from my T1 but the bass dissipated down to an unsatisfactory level.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #568 of 679
Sp3ll,

Very interesting!

My pads on my non-LE 32ohms have the porous inside like the T5p.
They are still made of pleather, though. Are the T5p pads leather?

I got the velour pads too (from the standard 770s) and I don't think the bass is going too far back.
On the contrary, I found it makes it tighter, less boomy but with enough impact and the highs go further.

I have not tried the holes on the padding though. Since I bought the velour pads, I got another set of padding.
Does it really help with the mids?

Cheers,

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #569 of 679
  Sp3ll,

Very interesting!

My pads on my non-LE 32ohms have the porous inside like the T5p.
They are still made of pleather, though. Are the T5p pads leather?

I got the velour pads too (from the standard 770s) and I don't think the bass is going too far back.
On the contrary, I found it makes it tighter, less boomy but with enough impact and the highs go further.

I have not tried the holes on the padding though. Since I bought the velour pads, I got another set of padding.
Does it really help with the mids?

Cheers,

IT is curious why your DT770 LE has the porous back and mine doesn't.

Yes, the T5p pads have leather coverings.

I used the velour pads from my T1. The seal is severely compromised and the bass though no longer boomy is definitely not on par with the T1 in quantity.

I agree about the punchy sub-bass.  However, it doesn't tighten nor control the mid-bass bloom but simply lost it due to the poor seal that the velours accord.

The three holes on the driver-covers helped in bringing forward the mids.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #570 of 679

IT is curious why your DT770 LE has the porous back and mine doesn't.

Yes, the T5p pads have leather coverings.

I used the velour pads from my T1. The seal is severely compromised and the bass though no longer boomy is definitely not on par with the T1 in quantity.

I agree about the punchy sub-bass.  However, it doesn't tighten nor control the mid-bass bloom but simply lost it due to the poor seal that the velours accord.

The three holes on the driver-covers helped in bringing forward the mids.

Oh no no, my 32ohms are not LEs.
Beyer decided that the praise of the original LEs made it worth launching a regular 32ohm version called "The Studio Legend".
As of now it appears that LE and Studio Legends have two different parts (the pads, and a plastic thing inside the cups which the LEs are missing - see previous posts)
Sound signature appears to be between LEs and SLs according to Golden Ears.
I'll see if I can get the leather T5p pads. Is the fit same? same diameter, etc?
Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back