Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jan 27, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #3,241 of 3,701
A 'V' shaped sound-signature means that the mids are slightly recessed, compared to the bass and treble registers. A lot of cans are tuned this way. But with the 1770's it's subtle. It has nothing to do with sibilance.
And yes, I use my 1770's on-the-move. I've bought a shorter mini-XLR cable to connect to the 1770's, and also the Beyer hard portable case, which makes transporting them and handling them on the move so much easier. Also, because they're closed-backs, they're ideal for trains, buses etc.
Which cable did you buy? Looking to pick up a shorter one.

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,242 of 3,701
The DT 1770 Pro is going for $392 on Amazon, while the DT 177X GO is at $470. You do get the sheepskin earpads, but you can buy those separately if you want for a bit cheaper. Lack of case hurts a bit, unless you already have one you can use. Also, the main draw for GO is that it's really easy to drive and, well, can be used on the "go" (pun absolutely intended) with almost any phone.

After being a little disappointed with the Custom One Pro Plus, I decided to take it up a notch (or two) to the 1770.
The 177X Go is out of stock currently, but after a month of retailing for $450, they brought the price back down to $380 in November and never went back. I can see why. They weren’t selling as well went the price went up, and the 1770 was competing at a lower price. I probably wouldn’t be too thrilled if I paid $450 for them, but for the $380 I paid I’m happy with them.

Jan 27, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #3,243 of 3,701
Anyone here with both the discontinued T90 (or T70) and DT 1770/1990 who can comment on whether the way the headband cushion is attached to the metal band is at all similar?
The cushion on my T90 has started flaking so I'm looking for a replacement and considering the model has been out of production for years, spare parts aren't so easily available so I've started looking at possible alternatives and the DT 1770/1990 headband looks to be of good quality. From what I can tell, it looks like the cushion flips in to place on the underside of the band as opposed to the top of the band, but I'm unsure of how it clips into the plastic pieces that keep the ear cups attached to the headband.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #3,244 of 3,701
Which cable did you buy? Looking to pick up a shorter one.
I went for the Cardas Cross. It’s available in a variety of lengths, and is a very high quality cable.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #3,246 of 3,701
I tried the dt1770 and ended up returning as i didnt like the sound signature. I loved the aesthetics and comfort though. There is no way i would pay $450 for the drop version. I ended up paying a bit more and went with the ultrasone signature dj. Absolutely love them and they are now my portable and office headphones.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #3,247 of 3,701
I tried the dt1770 and ended up returning as i didnt like the sound signature. I loved the aesthetics and comfort though. There is no way i would pay $450 for the drop version. I ended up paying a bit more and went with the ultrasone signature dj. Absolutely love them and they are now my portable and office headphones.
I wouldn’t pay $450 for the Drop version either but it only sold at that price for a month after it started shipping and it went back to $380, and at that price when I pre-ordered I like it. And they fixed the tuning so maybe the sound signature would be more agreeable with that version. I don’t think I’d like the tuning of the 1770 either.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #3,248 of 3,701
Can you tell more about it why you didn't like the sound signature? Harsh? Painfull or muddy? Just of curiousity as I wanted to get one and then changed my mind and went for the other Beyer.

Feb 5, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #3,249 of 3,701
Can you tell more about it why you didn't like the sound signature? Harsh? Painfull or muddy? Just of curiousity as I wanted to get one and then changed my mind and went for the other Beyer.
I have the DT 1770 Pro (not Drop) version. While I'm a bit treble sensitive, I don't find these too aggressive in the highs, which allows me to wear them for hours. The bass is great and it's not bass-head territory, so again, no fatigue in that department either (which seems to be the feedback; aggressive highs and lows). They are definitely a clear set of cans with present and full mids, with perhaps a slight emphasis in the lower mids to give vocals a little more power/depth.

That being said, it's also going to depend on how you drive these. For me, I use them semi-portable in the office, hooked up to a FiiO BTR5. Everything sounds silky smooth and never too aggressive (40% volume).

If you are along the lines of a traditional audiophile seeking out a dead flat response and use manly open back cans, then the change to these closed back headphones may sound aggressive. Me, I love 'em.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #3,250 of 3,701
I have the DT 1770 Pro (not Drop) version. While I'm a bit treble sensitive, I don't find these too aggressive in the highs, which allows me to wear them for hours. The bass is great and it's not bass-head territory, so again, no fatigue in that department either (which seems to be the feedback; aggressive highs and lows). They are definitely a clear set of cans with present and full mids, with perhaps a slight emphasis in the lower mids to give vocals a little more power/depth.

That being said, it's also going to depend on how you drive these. For me, I use them semi-portable in the office, hooked up to a FiiO BTR5. Everything sounds silky smooth and never too aggressive (40% volume).

If you are along the lines of a traditional audiophile seeking out a dead flat response and use manly open back cans, then the change to these closed back headphones may sound aggressive. Me, I love 'em.
Yeah, I am treble sensitive and haven't used the DT880, I don't even like this one at all as it was way too much when flying in helicopter in GTAV for example. I had to literally turn off the sound :/ Don't get me wrong, I do like to listen to all the details on micro-detail level but not that aggressive that will sounds like knives through the ears.

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #3,251 of 3,701
Got my pair today and listening now. I am definitely treble sensitive but this one isn't as spike-to-brain bright as the 770, 880, or 990. May eq down the peak just a bit. Isolates better than expected. Better than the 770 which I thought was fantastic as a passive isolating can with velour pads. Imaging is fantastic. Danny Brown's "Theme Song" really shines on these. Strings and whispers and background sounds now have a platform to stand on. Mids need an eq boost I think. Bass is just a bit muddy, but nowhere near the muddiness of the 770. Punchy and fun. Does not sound excessive to these ears. Forgiving of some poor recordings, others not so much. I listen to a lot of garage, punk, delta blues, mid century gospel, etc, so it's important to me that a headphone is not too transparent with crummy recordings.

The 6XX has been my main can for about 18 months so this is quite a change of pace. I think I dig it. I bought them bc I work from home and need to mute out the neighbors, so we'll see how I feel rocking these 6+ hours a day. For $390 it's a pretty tremendous value if you don't hate the sound signature. German made, very attractive in a minimal kind of way, two cables, two sets of pads, nice case. Does a ton of things really well. I like the Beyer sound when it's held in check just a bit, and I think these can be described that way.

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #3,252 of 3,701
Got my pair today and listening now. I am definitely treble sensitive but this one isn't as spike-to-brain bright as the 770, 880, or 990. May eq down the peak just a bit. Isolates better than expected. Better than the 770 which I thought was fantastic as a passive isolating can with velour pads. Imaging is fantastic. Danny Brown's "Theme Song" really shines on these. Strings and whispers and background sounds now have a platform to stand on. Mids need an eq boost I think. Bass is just a bit muddy, but nowhere near the muddiness of the 770. Punchy and fun. Does not sound excessive to these ears. Forgiving of some poor recordings, others not so much. I listen to a lot of garage, punk, delta blues, mid century gospel, etc, so it's important to me that a headphone is not too transparent with crummy recordings.

The 6XX has been my main can for about 18 months so this is quite a change of pace. I think I dig it. I bought them bc I work from home and need to mute out the neighbors, so we'll see how I feel rocking these 6+ hours a day. For $390 it's a pretty tremendous value if you don't hate the sound signature. German made, very attractive in a minimal kind of way, two cables, two sets of pads, nice case. Does a ton of things really well. I like the Beyer sound when it's held in check just a bit, and I think these can be described that way.
Now you got me veering towards these again! Great review. Was skewing towards the 1990 recently, but i need to find out just how much leakage they produce, as I'll have my better half sat next to me when im listening often. Saw the 1770's for £339 on Amazon recently. That is an excellent price tbh.

Feb 6, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #3,253 of 3,701

Hmm, it depends on the person? My DT770 is much more tolerable than my 880 when it comes to treble. I'd like to get the 1770 too but atm it's €427, not sure if that's a lot.

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #3,254 of 3,701
I wouldn’t pay $450 for the Drop version either but it only sold at that price for a month after it started shipping and it went back to $380, and at that price when I pre-ordered I like it. And they fixed the tuning so maybe the sound signature would be more agreeable with that version. I don’t think I’d like the tuning of the 1770 either.

The treble was tolerable and is not why I returned it. The bass (high bass prominent) did not reach deep. Also I wasn't thrilled about the separation and imaging. It sounded a bit congested with complex passages.The Ultrasone signature dj/dxp are a bit more expensive but they just did so much right and frankly blew the DT1770 out of the water. They image better, have a better soundstage and the bass reaches deeper, has impact and much more satisfying. They are also more portable. But I did love the aesthetics of the DT1770 and it looks sexy, just wish it sounded better. I'd like to try the drop version sometime but they must be a LOT better to displace my ultrasone signature.

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #3,255 of 3,701
The treble was tolerable and is not why I returned it. The bass (high bass prominent) did not reach deep. Also I wasn't thrilled about the separation and imaging. It sounded a bit congested with complex passages.The Ultrasone signature dj/dxp are a bit more expensive but they just did so much right and frankly blew the DT1770 out of the water. They image better, have a better soundstage and the bass reaches deeper, has impact and much more satisfying. They are also more portable. But I did love the aesthetics of the DT1770 and it looks sexy, just wish it sounded better. I'd like to try the drop version sometime but they must be a LOT better to displace my ultrasone signature.
If that’s how you felt about the 1770 then you probably won’t like the 177X. It has the ability to reach deep but it isn’t very strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back