Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Feb 7, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #3,257 of 3,701
Trying to swap the pads on these has ruined my night. Honestly cannot figure out how to do it. About to drop a cinder block on these headphones and be done with it.
Try this video. It's frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly easy.

Feb 7, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #3,258 of 3,701
That's actually the first video I watched....two hours ago.

Edit: Got the first one on! Let's hope 2.5 hours won't elapse before the second is seated.

Edit 2: About 20 mins for the second one. Aided by a hair dryer and spudger pick -- without them no way I would have got these pleather pads on.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #3,259 of 3,701
Happy to report that my cinder block has been stowed away for another day. These sound great with the leatherettes. No longer feel the high peaks need to be eq'd down. On the whole a more forgiving signature now, albeit one without the aggressive spine-tingling energy that comes with the velours. Listening to Titanic Rising gave me shivers last night; the pleather experience is calmer and thus less euphoric as I listen to said album now (btw, this is an immaculate record and one that is great, specifically, for headphoning; check it out if you haven't already). But the added isolation and minimal fatigue (comparatively, this is still a Beyer headphone and doesn't convey the feeling of a comfy lie on an old couch after 3 beers like eg, a 6XX) is enough incentive to stick with the pleather.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #3,260 of 3,701
Happy to report that my cinder block has been stowed away for another day. These sound great with the leatherettes. No longer feel the high peaks need to be eq'd down. On the whole a more forgiving signature now, albeit one without the aggressive spine-tingling energy that comes with the velours. Listening to Titanic Rising gave me shivers last night; the pleather experience is calmer and thus less euphoric as I listen to said album now (btw, this is an immaculate record and one that is great, specifically, for headphoning; check it out if you haven't already). But the added isolation and minimal fatigue (comparatively, this is still a Beyer headphone and doesn't convey the feeling of a comfy lie on an old couch after 3 beers like eg, a 6XX) is enough incentive to stick with the pleather.
I also find the PU earpads fit my preferences better than the velour pads. Kicking around the idea of trying some sheepskin pads (Brainwavz or Dekoni), which are easier to install since you'd just place them over the cups themselves.

These look interesting, but not really a fan of the green.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WW3YKF9/

Feb 8, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #3,262 of 3,701
Oof, that green would be a killer for me. I would love to find an equivalent of the ZMF proteins that would fit this headphone: plush comfort, more isolation, grander soundstage w/o sacrificing all that's good about the sound sig.
Well, I took the plunge and ordered them. I only use them at home and even if I decided to wear them out, you can't see the green when worn. Only I'll know it's neon green (which still hurts)!

I decided to go for those because they seem to be one of the few that have a smaller lip, which may even fit into the grooves, if not, I don't mind just placing them over the cups, so in that case, there won't be as much tacky overlap. The Deokni also have a smaller lip than the Brainwavz, but those are a complete rip at $69. The normal round Brainwavz for $34 will work, but there is more overlap AND the inner ring of the earpad I believe is PU, not sheepskin (it's like that on the sheepskin oval version).

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #3,263 of 3,701
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,264 of 3,701
I bought a 2nd hand DT1770 a few weeks back and noticed the left cup didn't seal as well as the right cup. Silly me tried to bend the headband a bit but it only got worse.
I ordered a new steelspring headframe from beyerdynamic but does anyone know how to actually replace these? I know I need to remove the screws but then what? If anyone is interessed I can make a guide once I figured it out.

Edit: found this which makes it quite obvious :)

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #3,265 of 3,701
So...these earpads are great. Aside from the neon green, 100% awesome sauce. Except for the attachment lip, the entire earpad is sheepskin with high grade memory foam. The openings are also larger than the stock PU earpads and improve the soundstage. Overall, initial impressions are the sound is just more "solid" with better overall spaciousness.

Fit is perfect. Due to the shorter lip, they don't look tacky on.

IMG_2427.jpg
IMG_2426.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #3,266 of 3,701
So...these earpads are great. Aside from the neon green, 100% awesome sauce. Except for the attachment lip, the entire earpad is sheepskin with high grade memory foam. The openings are also larger than the stock PU earpads and improve the soundstage. Overall, initial impressions are the sound is just more "solid" with better overall spaciousness.

Fit is perfect. Due to the shorter lip, they don't look tacky on.

Looks great, ordered a pair myself!

From the pictures, it looks as you had to mount them over the cups rather than placing the lip inside the groove, is that correct?

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #3,267 of 3,701
Looks great, ordered a pair myself!

From the pictures, it looks as you had to mount them over the cups rather than placing the lip inside the groove, is that correct?
Yep, I had to place them over the cups. The lip is not that big, so it still looks fairly seamless.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #3,268 of 3,701
Has Beyer changed/reduced the 8kHz peak like they did with the 1990 as mentioned in the DT1990 topic? Only curious tho.

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #3,269 of 3,701
Has Beyer changed/reduced the 8kHz peak like they did with the 1990 as mentioned in the DT1990 topic? Only curious tho.
I don't have any measurements personally for it, but being somewhat treble sensitive, the highs are not bothersome at all.

For what it's worth, rtings.com has some measurements you can take a look at. Compared to the DT1990, they measured lower in that region.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-3-1/graph#714/3161/628

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #3,270 of 3,701
Someone could compare the DT1770 vs the T1 2nd gen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back