Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #3,121 of 3,701
I dunno about the 770, but to be honest man, I find my DT 1770 to be VERY comfortable. One thing I did though was upgrade to the Dekoni sheepskin ear pads, which DEFINITELY contributed to the extra comfort, and also improved the sound, especially bass, as well. Previous posts in this thread confirm the same results by others. I STRONGLY recommend you buy them and the DT 1770 and never look back. I've gone through MANY headphones, and to me these finally gave me what I was looking for. I honestly have to FIGHT myself to take these off my head after a few hours.

P.S. If you want the truly BEST sound, and have an Android phone, I can send you the custom EQ I use to listen to the 1770 via the Poweramp app, courtesy of a sound expert friend of mine. Let me know if interested. It made them sound perfect.

Somehow the Dekoni sheepskin ear pads were a disappointment for me, I just placed back the original pads. The Dekoni made the sound muffled and cut off the highs. Also had to find the best position on my ears because the sounding changed by every mm movement. However, I use Dekoni on my Sony XM2 and XM3 where it brought improvements big time.

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #3,122 of 3,701
Somehow the Dekoni sheepskin ear pads were a disappointment for me, I just placed back the original pads. The Dekoni made the sound muffled and cut off the highs. Also had to find the best position on my ears because the sounding changed by every mm movement. However, I use Dekoni on my Sony XM2 and XM3 where it brought improvements big time.

Really? For me it improved the bass quality and depth, and it seemed to widen the soundstage too I believe. Plus of course the extra comfort.

Do you EQ your 1770s?

Well at least you notice improvement on OTHER headphones. lol

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #3,123 of 3,701
I got this second DT1770 from a friend. He bought it 2 sears ago. The velour pads where done already, the leather ones unused. Today I got new velour pads from Beyer. They make a big difference in sound and comfort. So instead of trying 3rd party pads, you might want to try new original pads.

Jun 4, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #3,124 of 3,701
I highly rec the XL pads from Brainwavz. Improved sound a lot.

Jul 19, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #3,126 of 3,701
Sorry, man, but I'll sell you mine still if you want them. I just don't use them enough these days, though they are my best sounding pair.

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #3,127 of 3,701
I got this second DT1770 from a friend. He bought it 2 sears ago. The velour pads where done already, the leather ones unused. Today I got new velour pads from Beyer. They make a big difference in sound and comfort. So instead of trying 3rd party pads, you might want to try new original pads.
+1 for the velours. Plus I ease off a little on the HF sibilance a bit with HibyMusic mseb, and it's awesome. Good quality driver.

Jul 20, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #3,128 of 3,701
Guys, I'm telling you, XL round pads and take the foam off. crap is life changing... Well, it's not, but it does increase detail separation. I couldn't A/B the dampening and mass loading, but it's a $12 kit from customcansuk.com. plus 1 for HiBy Music app. I converted from Power Amp. The UI isn't great, but the sound is.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #3,129 of 3,701
Hey guys,

I’ve had the dt1770 pros for a while now. I stopped using them as they don’t sound great using via phono plug on my iPhone.
So now I’m looking for a dac/amp that makes these come out well.
I did some research, and read that the Oppo HA-2 seems to be a decent match overall, but that one is no longer for sale. I also read that tube amps/DACs may muffle mids and boom bass. Mind you, I noticed some positive reports as well.
Another match I read about was the FiiO E12A, which also is no longer available.

I should add, my budget is up to about 200£, and I do want a DAC amp as I understood straight from an iPhone the sound is very limited, but with VOX via a DAC it can play pretty decent music. Note, I’m using it at my desk mostly, but I prefer a portable solution in case I travel. Because of EHS requirements I think they don’t allow tube amps at work (heat source), so that’d be secondary, but since tube amps tend to not be portable I think they quickly get eliminated.
I’m also open to players. My favourite is the qp1r, which I tested with my in ear phones (not the dt1770s). I haven’t tried the qp2r yet. Mind you, I hate the GUI of that player more than I love the sound. So something with similar characteristics up to around 400£ with a better interface would be great. Note, I tried the Sony nw-wm1a but found it sounding no better than my iPhone directly from the jack.

I’d love to hear some short descriptions of what other users prefer, with a description of the perceived sound character.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #3,131 of 3,701
Here is the specs for it as well.

DAC: SABRE ESS9018MK2 + XMOS U8
USB Support: DoP64, DoP128, Native DSD64/128/256, PCM 16-32bit, 32-384KHz
Coaxial And Toslink Support: PCM 16-24bit,44.1-384KHz
S/N Ratio: -128dB
Dynamic range: 120dB
Distortion: 0.0004%
Frequency response: 20-30KHz -0.15dB
Crosstalk:-120dB
Headphone output Power: 100mW @ 600 Ohm, 200mW @ 300 Ohm, 400mW @ 150Ohm, 1000mW @ 32 Ohm

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #3,132 of 3,701
@DW75 I owned and very much enjoyed the Yulong A18 and was very impressed with the price to performance of the unit. The Canary does sound intriguing, any idea what the output impedance is? I suspect it is under 2 ohms, but that is a specification worth knowing as it does help with matching up to a headphone..

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #3,133 of 3,701
Hi,

Could anyone tell me if there are any balanced cables for the dt1770 pro headset? My understanding was that the unit can utilise balanced inputs from devices with a balanced output, but I haven’t been able to find any yet.

Thanks

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #3,134 of 3,701
Hi,

Could anyone tell me if there are any balanced cables for the dt1770 pro headset? My understanding was that the unit can utilise balanced inputs from devices with a balanced output, but I haven’t been able to find any yet.

Thanks
It's not possible to run the DT1770's/DT1990's in a balanced configuration, without drastically modifying the headset inputs with different plugs.

Sep 4, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #3,135 of 3,701
Hi,

Thanks
You'd have to do some butchery of the socket. The connector is a three pin mini-XLR. AIUI you need four pins for balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back