Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Sep 4, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #3,137 of 3,701
Lastly, I am using them now, with my Lyr 3 and they are perfect. Imaging, seperation, soundstage width, dynamics, bass impact and quality, and finally the treble all improved each time I went up. . .
I’m ploughing through the thread slowly and saw your post. When you use the Lyr3, do you use it as amp only or also the dac? The other Schiit units you mentioned are amp only. Did you use the modi Multibit as DAC for those amps?
I also saw you questioned the xDSD. Did you end up comparing that against the Lyr3?

I’m contemplating the Lyr3 as a desktop solution, using an iPhone as source. I’m aware the iPhone isn’t great for line out or BT, hence I was going to use it as raw source with an app like vox for higher quality music.
But I’m curious how the xDSD performs in comparison.
I’ve heard the qp1r a long time ago (albeit via different phones) and fell in love with the sound characteristics, but UI sucks too much for me.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #3,139 of 3,701
Just got 1770 on my hand. I bought it for my vocal recording monitor can, but man this is the bass monster :0
I am pretty used to heavy bass (ier z1r, th900 etc), but this thing is another lvl lol the bass that vibrates my jaw lol wow. It's like subwoofer on my head.
Agree.
I think the 1770 is the 'underappreciated orphan' of the Beyerdynamic Tesla range. Yes, the 1990 is more transparent, and the T1.2 is more 'characteristic', but IMO you can't beat the 1770 when you need a bit 'o bass, and you want to just rock out!

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #3,141 of 3,701
I dis that too using kit from custom cans, got a silver plated cable for it and threw Dekoni pads, plus a little sticker that makes tjr bass port smaller. It resuced the boominess and made it tighter.

Mine are actually dor sale if anyone wants. $350 shipped in US. Includes 2 extra cable (one ahort to run with BT adapter), slappa case, XL pads and dekoni pads. Pm me.

Sep 16, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #3,142 of 3,701
So my right side driver is dead. I tried different cable and source but dead silent. I am out of warranty, how the **** can 500e headphones break like this after 2.5 years :D. My dissapointment is immeasurable.

Sep 18, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #3,143 of 3,701
Hey guys, I'm selling my Beyer DT 1770 Pro with Dekoni Sheepskin Pads right now for only $390. Only 1 year old and all is STILL in excellent condition! Click here if interested! I paid almost $600 brand new for all of that, so this is a pretty good deal. The headphones were kept zipped in their custom case at all times when not being used (FYI).

As you may know from this thread, the Dekoni sheepskin pads not only offer greater comfort than the stock pads do, but they also noticeably improve both the bass AND sub-bass quality as well!

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #3,144 of 3,701
So my right side driver is dead. I tried different cable and source but dead silent. I am out of warranty, how the **** can 500e headphones break like this after 2.5 years :D. My dissapointment is immeasurable.

It's most likely the headband cable that failed, especially since it's the right driver and it's dead silent. I always found that was a weak point on the DT 1770/1990 as their headband cables are rather fragile.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #3,145 of 3,701
Hey guys,
I want to get a different cable. Mainly for 2 reasons:
1) too long. I used it at my desk and simply don’t need 3m.
2) microphonic. Tapping the cable gets amplified and I can hear it fairly clearly
Any suggestions for alternative cables I can purchase in the U.K.? I’ve spotted two candidates on amazon:
1) Oyaide HPC X35 @ £60
2) furutech iHP 35X @ £100
The latter looks like it may be the same cable but is 3m.

Also, any idea where in the U.K. I can source brainwavz sheepskin pass for the dt1770’s? (I understood the brainwavz version was the preference. Correct me if I’m wrong with that)

Sep 30, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #3,148 of 3,701
Oct 1, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #3,149 of 3,701
The 1770? No comparison. 1770 is a major upgrade
I agree completely.
I used to own 770’s, and although they were good, the 1770’s trounce them in every way possible.
A great upgrade!

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,150 of 3,701
hi apologies for interrupting the discussion. I am making a replacement cable for my DT1770 pros, Mini xlr to 6.35mm stereo connector. I have searched through the thread and couldnt find mention of wiring diagram so i've followed the one below and i am only getting signal out of the left side. All connections are tested and correct between jack and xlr, so i was hoping someone might either be able to give the the correct wiring diagram if this wrong and or offer any suggestions to what i might have missed. Thanks in advance :)

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 13.19.24.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back