Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 26, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,291 of 3,701
Another thing is build quality.

The 1770's are beautifully build, set aside for my weird crackle sound when putting on the headphones. They feel premium. Very sturdy. I personally like the design a lot. The extenders are tight. Headband could be a tad bit softer. After some time, the top of my head starts hurting a bit where the headband touches my head. Clamping force is high, which is necessary for a good seal and optimal sound with closed headphones. The velour is very comfortable and again, it feels premium. Both cables feel very good, seems to be of a very high quality. I won't go into the whole SQ portion of cables, as I don't believe in it (and I do not want the discussion!). 

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,293 of 3,701
  Thanks. Based on your review for my taste I shall pick T90 rather than DT1770. I hope Beyer would come up with 1880 this year...

I was actually thinking the same about the 1880. Wouldn't this be pretty close to a T1 though? Disclaimer: I've never heard a 880.

I've never heard a T90, so I can't compare those two. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #1,294 of 3,701
Well, I have more issues now. The right driver has started rattling. I noticed something was off the day after I received them, but didn't think too much of it. Last night I started to hear actual rattling in the right driver. At first I thought something was wrong with my amp or maybe the connection, but there's isn't, and it's getting worse and worse. It is most definitely the driver. I have written an email to Beyerdynamic, waiting for a reply now.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,295 of 3,701
Well, I have more issues now. The right driver has started rattling. I noticed something was off the day after I received them, but didn't think too much of it. Last night I started to hear actual rattling in the right driver. At first I thought something was wrong with my amp or maybe the connection, but there's isn't, and it's getting worse and worse. It is most definitely the driver. I have written an email to Beyerdynamic, waiting for a reply now.

Check for hairs or something of that nature as well especially if you changed pads. But this seems to be an issue others have had as well... Good luck!

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,296 of 3,701
Check for hairs or something of that nature as well especially if you changed pads. But this seems to be an issue others have had as well... Good luck!

No hairs or anything, they like pristine. Haven't changed pads. Just hope Beyerdynamic will replace them without me going through Amazon, as I don't live in the US and that would be quite troublesome. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,297 of 3,701
I was actually thinking the same about the 1880. Wouldn't this be pretty close to a T1 though? Disclaimer: I've never heard a 880.

I've never heard a T90, so I can't compare those two. 
It would probably only have a single sided cable though, and the driver wouldn't be angled or nearly as powerful as the T1 in terms of tesla. Oh and it'd also be quite a bit cheaper.

Dec 27, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,298 of 3,701

Looks like I'll be playing headphone lottery with both my Fidello X2 & 1770 exchanges.

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,300 of 3,701

Return process started, will let you know if the next pair do the same.....

Exactly the same issue. Must be a 'feature'!

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #1,301 of 3,701

Just got a pair, I just had to go back and buy it after hearing it. It's so much better than the Custom One Pro, not even in the same league. COP is like a fart-canon version of the DT770 with rolled off highs and no soundstage for me.  Custom Studio is very spacious sounding, very open, nice imaging, nice frontal projection, and on the 2nd setting on the bass port, it's very neutral sounding. I don't find the highs harsh at all, it's actually quite smooth and dark sounding compared to DT880's and T1's. In the store the 2nd setting on the bass port made them sound very similar to DT1770's, but again, that was out of a non-ideal source, so it's hard to judge. What I like the most about Custom Studio is how clean they sound and how good they sound on low volumes. Most headphones require high volume to sound dynamic and punchy, these sound punchy and exciting at low volumes, the bass has that "in your chest" tight thump to it, especially with all ports opened.

The driver looks weird, it seems like the membrane is blue? And the back of the driver has some sort of metal dampening glued to it, like a penny sized piece. Also the driver seems big, the white part measures almost 50 mm in diameter, and in the specs it says it's a 45mm membrane. I don't know what the size of the DT770 driver is, never opened them and it doesn't say in the specs, but I assume it's 40 mm.

I've ordered a set out of curiosity, be here 8th Jan.

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,304 of 3,701
Complete noob here looking for a pair of audiophile cans to supplement my 2 channel listening. Just picked up a Channel Islands VHP-1 to pair with my Chord 2Qute for listening.

No preference with open or closed just strictly looking for cleanest presentation and articulate bass. Thinking about the DT-1770 or Senn HD650, any comments?? I like the price of slightly used pair of 650's ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back