Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 6, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #691 of 3,701
Someone should pair the DT1770 with some leather audeze earpads. It would make the drivers angled, and possibly more comfortable. If anyone is willing to try that then I'm curious to know how well the noise isolation and bleed of the DT1770's included pleather earpads fair against the audeze leather earpads. Here's my thread on an easy (it's easy because you don't have to use anything but adhesive) way of mod audeze earpads to fit properly on beyerdynamic headphones while still having the earpads being removable: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780786

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #692 of 3,701
  I am looking for a good sounding closed headphone for traveling with  my AK120 and from all what I am reading here the DT1770 would be a good choice for me sound wise.  But with 250 ohm (but higher sensitivity) It may be a problem with out an extra amp which I want to avoid.  
I do not need extreme levels and the AK120 has a better amp-section than any i-product but If it works only marginally it would be also not good soundwise.

If you're looking for portable headphones, I would not recommend the 1770 just because it's a full size around the ear 'over ear' can, which, just like all 'cans of this this size means: more sweat, easier to fall off your head, and nearly impossible to quickly put around your neck when you need to talk to somebody at a moments' notice.

You really aught to instead consider an 'on ear' headphone, like the Beyerdynamic DT 1350, Sennheiser Amperior or Aedle VK-1 Valkyrie. These are the top on-ears I've tried out of over a dozen, but the 1350 is still my fav of these - the reason being these are fairly neutral, punchy and non-fatiguing... There's also a B**ts headphone that actually sounds good, but you can PM me instead so I don't get flamed for liking them. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #693 of 3,701
  If you're looking for portable headphones, I would not recommend the 1770 just because it's a full size around the ear 'over ear' can, which, just like all 'cans of this this size means: more sweat, easier to fall off your head, and nearly impossible to quickly put around your neck when you need to talk to somebody at a moments' notice.

Actually not being able to take them off quickly I consider a good thing (would not use them walking on a street etc). But having something small would be nice luggage wise and I really like the design of the Aedle VK-1 (have seen them on silent display) but I expect that full size cans would be much better in isolation and sound quality!

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #694 of 3,701
  Actually not being able to take them off quickly I consider a good thing (would not use them walking on a street etc). But having something small would be nice luggage wise and I really like the design of the Aedle VK-1 (have seen them on silent display) but I expect that full size cans would be much better in isolation and sound quality!

As long you know to expect you are fine. Even Dan Clark, MrSpeakers, wears his full size headphones on planes as he travels a lot to different places around the world to promote his company  line of headphones. A good closed headphone with good isolation is great to have on a airplane. I have the Alpha Prime myself and looking to try the DT-1770 as something of a different sound signature that would add to its distinctness to my collection. I can not use IEM's and need full size headphones and not on the ear type.    

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #695 of 3,701
  As long you know to expect you are fine. Even Dan Clark, MrSpeakers, wears his full size headphones on planes as he travels a lot to different places around the world to promote his company  line of headphones. A good closed headphone with good isolation is great to have on a airplane. I have the Alpha Prime myself and looking to try the DT-1770 as something of a different sound signature that would add to its distinctness to my collection. I can not use IEM's and need full size headphones and not on the ear type.    

I also have problems with IEM and that is the reason I turned my Stax (see avatar) into a custom fit on-ear which are very comfortable and with some eq sound good but are completely open. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #696 of 3,701
There are plenty of full size over ear headphones designed for portable use like the T5P , T70P , i'm buying the DT1770 for a on the go use , There are no reason that this one is not suitable for . :):)

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #699 of 3,701
You mean you believe the DT1770 can be driven by iDevices without any audible impact on sound quality?

My Ipod Classic which is EU capped can drive the DT1770, but I  need to nearly max out the volume to get loud enough sound. When I put an amp between the IPod and the DT1770 not only gets the volume to whatever I might need and more, the sound quality increases clearly. A proper amp has more control over the voice coil and the reproduction gets much more involving. On my IPad the situation is a bit different, the volume is more then enough for me and also the quality is better than from the capped IPod.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #700 of 3,701

You really aught to instead consider an 'on ear' headphone, like the Beyerdynamic DT 1350, Sennheiser Amperior or Aedle VK-1 Valkyrie. These are the top on-ears I've tried out of over a dozen, but the 1350 is still my fav of these - the reason being these are fairly neutral, punchy and non-fatiguing... There's also a B**ts headphone that actually sounds good, but you can PM me instead so I don't get flamed for liking them. 

Had the DT1350 and it was very uncomfortable for me. Also the seal was hard to achieve since I wear glasses. Taking the DT1350 on and off the head is a long path of adjusting the moving parts after every action. And you always need two hands.  The DT 1770 is a clear step up. It sits firm on the head and I can take it down and put it around my neck with one hand easily. You literally throw it in place and it sits and fits....

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #702 of 3,701
But the bullet. Got myself a set.
I actually compared them with the T70/32ohm and T90/250ohm. I tried them on my iPhone 6 (and found a flaw with power output control on the fly as well, more on that later).

The T70 I didn't really like much. It felt empty somehow. I also had to pump up the volume to 50%, which surprised me. Basically my IBasso Operius blew them away.
The T90 sounded ok, but volume levels were between 80-100%. Needed more drive then my iPhone could provide. It sounded thin on the mid and lower tones. But there were some details I didn't hear before. Ambient noise isolation with velour earpads was pretty much non-existent. Very very poor. As if I was not wearing them at all. They're open ear units though, so cannot expect amazing noise isolation.

The DT1770 sounded way better than the other two. Much more space and dynamics. The percussion in "smooth operator" blew me away. Lower tones seemed much more prominent and highs were less peaky than the others. Ambient noise isolation with the velour earpads seemed significantly better too. My iPhone managed to drive them well at about 70%. I do believe they will benefit from amplification though.

As a side note, initially I had to crank up volume on my iPhone each time I changed songs, as if the volume dropped by a significant amount. The volume levels returned to higher levels when I skipped the song forward a bit. And if the song transitioned to the next song, the volume drop did no occur.
I tried this on all three beyerdynamics headsets as well as my Operius IEMs, and all exhibited this behaviour, which I put down to a flaw in the iPhone. Probably a software bug. People trying these with an iDevice should pay attention to this.

As for amplification, I am considering either the pioneer XPA-700 or the Sony PHA-3. However, since I'll be using it at work, I'm open to alternative portable DAC/amps as well as small desktop DAC/amps, maybe even tube driven DAC/amps (as long as they are compact and allow the use of an iPhone as source). So feel free to come with suggestions (budget is up to 600usd or thereabouts).

Oct 7, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #703 of 3,701
I know how to plug the cable with the Mini XLR , it is super easy and accurate . Very first impression with my Ibasso DX100 . WOW! More bass , very good mid's , less treble peaky then the T5P , it blew away the T70P . And all that sound quality just coming out of the box . It is a stunning pairing with the DX100 ( low gain setting ) No regret at all with the purchase.

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #704 of 3,701
I am looking for a good sounding closed headphone for traveling with my AK120 and from all what I am reading here
I'd tried Polk Hinge headphone. Inexpensive, folds, isolates, and comfortable. But way too small for my large (3 X hat) head. If you have a small head go for it.

I was pissed. I had to put them on partially off my head to listen, but they sealed well, nice ear pads. Mainly the sound. Amazing, balanced, warm, yet detailed.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #705 of 3,701
You mean you believe the DT1770 can be driven by iDevices without any audible impact on sound quality?

I'm not entirely sure there is an impact on sound quality when plugging my Beyerdynamic T1 into an old iPhone 4S in comparison to my desktop setup that costs almost 2000 dollars, apart from the obvious volume level limitations. I don't think the DT1770's would suffer either. If there's anything idevices nail, it's sound quality, they're absolutely dead silent and transparent, and measured performance is better than in many far more expensive music players or even desktop amps and dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back