Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 4, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #661 of 3,701
No and... No!? :)

To my ears, they don't sound overly warm (with either set of pads). Compared to what I consider warm cans such as: Senn HD600, Master and Dynamics MH40, Shure SRH1540, JVC HP-DX700, AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru (super dark), Sennheiser Momentum, most T50RP-modded headphones (including Mad Dogs, Alpha Dogs, ZMF Vibro), etc. they are definitely NOT as warm. They do seem to have a bit of mid-bass presence as most of these mentioned but a definite different "vibe".

Also, they are NOT bright either. I consider bright headphones: Shure SRH940, KRK KNS series, HiFiMan HE560, Beyer T5p, most of the Ultrasones I've tried (with the exception of the Signature Pro), Grados SR60, etc. But they seem to have an emphasis on the upper mids as I mentioned before.

The tonal characteristic is basically "in-between"... it's as if Beyer decided to try and make it neutral but I don't think they achieved that either. All in all, I find the signature fun for them being marketed as a "Studio" headphone. They remind me more of a "tamed" Beyer T5p actually. More bass presence than the T5p, less high-end bite, good expansive sound, good mid-detail but not as in your face as with the T5p.

Since I'm cheap, I wouldn't buy them at full price (lol), but bearing in mind the "happy medium" signature, good performance, extra pads and cable, cool looking box, and excellent looks (and well built it seems), I don't feel I "lost" anything buying them at full price.

This is great feedback.....and exactly what I wanted to hear....the T5p was way to bright and lacking bass presence...so this is great news and even more so as it sounds like they are closer to the AK voiced T5p which are big improvement on standard but they are twice the price!

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #662 of 3,701
  Do you guys think these would be good for gaming as well as music? Overkill perhaps, but would it be a good choice?

I have a set of HD 598 which are generally amazing for competitive gaming in a quiet environment. Begin a low-bass open headphone however, they aren't as well suited for a more theatrical experience in a noisy environment. I can hear every footstep in a game along with every word on the TV show that my family is watching, and when Two Steps From Hell or other similar "epic" music starts playing with all its drum rumbling glory, I can hear all the details and quality but there isn't any feeling to it. Outside of games I listen to almost all music genres, but electronic or rock are high on my list so handling that well is important.

I had been looking for a closed headphone and had the DT 770 (likely 80ohm) or Oppo PM-3 on my short list of candidates and then I saw these and was thinking that they might be a significantly more expensive best-of-all-worlds for me. Would it be? At home I have a Soundblaster Z which is amplified but with a pair of DT 1770 I'd also probably pick up a Schiit Uber Stack (and make full use of 3D positional audio over optical). If I ever brought them to work I'd either drive it straight from the Macbook Pro they gave me or perhaps get something portable like an Oppo HA-2.

What do you guys think? Would this be a good match for me? Anywhere to hear them in person in the Chicago area? Are you guys ordering direct from Beyer or from other stores? No-name fulfilled by Amazon seller?

If you're looking in to portable amps, then I'd have to say that one of CEntrace's line of portable amps would be the best: DACport, DACport HD, and possible the DACport Slim (Slim is a Massdrop exclusive) if you can get it. The Beyerdynamic A200p or Astell&Kern AK10 is also a really good option.

You can buy the DT 1770 off of either the Beyerdynamic website, or from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0142FEWD4

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #664 of 3,701
IF you do not mind the size it has great isolation when using the leather like pads, more so than my T70

I listen to the Beyerdynamic dt1770 at the RMAF with the velour and the leather ear pads which made quite a bit of difference. It is one of the best examples of a monitoring headphone I ever heard. It does not have quite the soundstage of the Ether headphones as a example but it is well balanced, great isolation and a strong performer on bass attacks like kick drums and Timpani.

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #665 of 3,701
  IF you do not mind the size it has great isolation when using the leather like pads, more so than my T70

I listen to the Beyerdynamic dt1770 at the RMAF with the velour and the leather ear pads which made quite a bit of difference. It is one of the best examples of a monitoring headphone I ever heard. It does not have quite the soundstage of the Ether headphones as a example but it is well balanced, great isolation and a strong performer on bass attacks like kick drums and Timpani. I waited a long time for a headphone that is neutral and natural including the treble and does Timpani correctly. The thought of buying the DT1770 right at the show did cross my mind.

Thank you , i have no doubt now buying this can , will receive next week .   Regards

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #667 of 3,701
I  also wanted to say that I was using my IFI micro iDSD with my Sony Walkman player when I was auditioning the DT1770 250ohms impedance. It does have a bit higher clamping pressure than my T70 but far from the worst I have tried. Today I am listening to my HiFiman planners and I still thinking about the presentation I heard on the DT1770 yesterday.   I listen to mostly on location recordings of classical music which involves unampfied acoustical instruments.  I may just have to pick them up and see if my impressions at the show will hold up at home.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #668 of 3,701
Well, thanks a lot guys, you just cost me a tad over $930. I hope this and a Schiit Uber 2 stack is worth it. I'm pretty sure my wife is going to ban me from any further audio purchases, and probably forums, forever. It was nice knowing you all.

Seriously though, it's way more than I can justify, but it also sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll know in a few days I guess. Don't have a lot to compare to but I'll try my best and hopefully be able to help somebody else out.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #669 of 3,701
I heard the  DT1770 on a Feliks Audio Expressivo at Can Jam London and it was godly-One of the best combos there. I think tubes may be the way to go for this headphone.

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #670 of 3,701
After my own impression and all the comments in this thread, I think this headphone is a homerun for BEYERDYNAMIC.
Kudos to the DT1770 project team at BEYER!

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #671 of 3,701
After my own impression and all the comments in this thread, I think this headphone is a homerun for BEYERDYNAMIC.
Kudos to the DT1770 project team at BEYER!

And if they're watching this thread, I have to say that I will definitely purchase open back version of the headphone, DT1990PRO!! 

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #672 of 3,701
  And if they're watching this thread, I have to say that I will definitely purchase open back version of the headphone, DT1990PRO!! 

They do watch it as I asked them at IFA :wink:
But I don't know about an DT1990... what would the difference from the T90 be? OK, the old generation had Pro vs. Edition models... lets see. For the time being I'm quite happy with the DT1770. Yes, its really good.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #673 of 3,701
I heard the  DT1770 on a Feliks Audio Expressivo at Can Jam London and it was godly-One of the best combos there. I think tubes may be the way to go for this headphone.

I was at London and totally walked past it....darn! I was taken with the AK T5p on the AK380....and was amazed by it's detail and body....especially as I thought the standard T5p was anemic and lifeless in the bass and body....so how does the 1770 fit into this spectrum?

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #675 of 3,701
I had the chance to talk to two engineers from Beyerdynamic at the IFA. I have the feeling that they both represent the next generation in the company. Both were around 40 years old. One of them was the guy from Beyer that is active in this thread. They told me that they carefully redesigned and amended the Beyer house sound without sacrificing the Beyer heritage. They worked on a lot of different small details, such as the fabric that sits in front of the driver to get more consistency, the ear pads and on the drivers themselves to eliminate weaknesses. They also seem to have some advanced new measuring tools to better control the headphones behavior after implementing the changes. Overall it seems to me that we have a design team that has listened to the feedback from customers and testers here on Headfi and other places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back