Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 6, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #676 of 3,701
If anyone in here is dissatisfied with their purchase. I'd be willing to trade my EL-8 Closed Back with 15 hours of playtime. Just send me a PM. :)

They're in the same price range right? 
Here in Sweden, the EL-8 is almost twice as expensive. Crazy. :p

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #677 of 3,701
Hey guys,
I'm considering getting me a set of these, but I'm kinda curious about something.
I will use these at work, so I will use my iPhone to listen. Considering the impedance if 250 ohms, I'm considering getting a portable DAC/amp for them. However, I read in this discussion that that might not be necessary, is that true? Can I drive them with my iPhone or should I use a dac/amp?
I considered the Sony PHA-2/3 units and the pioneer xpa-700 as potential DAC/amp. However, all the shops in HK say those units are not powerful enough to drive 250 ohm headsets. They all recommend a portable music player, even though Sony has spec'ed their amps for up to 600 ohm headsets.
I'm a bit confused about what to believe. Especially since in other threads about beyerdynamics headsets, those amps are being used.
Any advice?

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #678 of 3,701
Hey guys,
I'm considering getting me a set of these, but I'm kinda curious about something.
I will use these at work, so I will use my iPhone to listen. Considering the impedance if 250 ohms, I'm considering getting a portable DAC/amp for them. However, I read in this discussion that that might not be necessary, is that true? Can I drive them with my iPhone or should I use a dac/amp?
I considered the Sony PHA-2/3 units and the pioneer xpa-700 as potential DAC/amp. However, all the shops in HK say those units are not powerful enough to drive 250 ohm headsets. They all recommend a portable music player, even though Sony has spec'ed their amps for up to 600 ohm headsets.
I'm a bit confused about what to believe. Especially since in other threads about beyerdynamics headsets, those amps are being used.
Any advice?

I've got a 250ohm dt880 which should, because of the efficiency of the tesla 2 driver, be harder to drive than the dt1770.
And i can run my 880 on my galaxy s4 aswell as shield tablet just fine.
I have to run it at 100% but it's loud enough then. Not sure about your iPhone though.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #680 of 3,701
My very limited in store experience was that they are quite bright on the highs, and very controlled on the lows. I think others mentioned the high bias of beyerdynamics in general before. N my case probably a matter of running in, as it didn't disturb me too much. But it was quite evidently there.

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #681 of 3,701
Hey guys,
Any advice?

I can run them from my Moto Maxx, my Sony NWZ-A17 and my laptop just fine with no amp, but do note, they will be "soft" sounding and you might have to max the volume to get an enjoyable sound out of them. I do recommend an amp, but that's just me.

Anybody got noticed nasty 5-8khz sound forwardenss in these headphones? (DT1770)

Yes. I don't find it nasty but there is... it might even start earlier...

Oct 6, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #682 of 3,701
Hey guys,
Any advice?

I can run them from my IPad Air easily on medium volume.

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #683 of 3,701
  I had the chance to talk to two engineers from Beyerdynamic at the IFA. I have the feeling that they both represent the next generation in the company. Both were around 40 years old. One of them was the guy from Beyer that is active in this thread. They told me that they carefully redesigned and amended the Beyer house sound without sacrificing the Beyer heritage. They worked on a lot of different small details, such as the fabric that sits in front of the driver to get more consistency, the ear pads and on the drivers themselves to eliminate weaknesses. They also seem to have some advanced new measuring tools to better control the headphones behavior after implementing the changes. Overall it seems to me that we have a design team that has listened to the feedback from customers and testers here on Headfi and other places.

That's great to hear, I have to admit I've yet to try another Beyer Can after getting my HE 4 an modding that thing. [Even got the beyer pads on that bad boi]

An I'm curious as to how the DT 1770 would compare to my LAD5k an ATH MW1000X duo, each excelling at what the other fails at

But I'll have to wait a while before I can get my hands on these ^^ 

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #684 of 3,701

I'll let you know soon...............getting the DT1770 for the weekend to audition and will compare to my Denon's. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #685 of 3,701

I'll let you know soon...............getting the DT1770 for the weekend to audition and will compare to my Denon's. 

oooh looking forward to hearing that comparison! I know you had a chance to hear the Closed back Sony put out as well, interested in your impressions 

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #686 of 3,701
Hey guys,
Any advice?

The PHA-3 has no problems driving them, even at normal gain. My iPhone 6S+ reaches adequate listening level for the quiet environment around me now, but I can imagine it would be stressed in a loud surrounding. So an amp may be advisable... you may also want to take a look at the ifi iDSD Micro btw.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #690 of 3,701
I am looking for a good sounding closed headphone for traveling with  my AK120 and from all what I am reading here the DT1770 would be a good choice for me sound wise.  But with 250 ohm (but higher sensitivity) It may be a problem with out an extra amp which I want to avoid.  
I do not need extreme levels and the AK120 has a better amp-section than any i-product but If it works only marginally it would be also not good soundwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back