Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jan 11, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #3,436 of 3,701
I'm curious about a sundara/dt 1770 side by side. As a closed back, I haven't found a better sounding option, but they are big and heavy. Sundays sound really good but have a narrower stage and less subbass compared to Phantoms. My gripe with the 1770s was always that the bass was unrosolving. Present, but not well defined. In direct comparison, the dekoni blue sound better. Those have fantastic bass. Best I've heard I think. But man are they ugly. I'd love to throw those drivers in my m100s shell. That would be a legit closed back.
my 2 cents (actually 3 :) )

I had Sundara and still have DT1770pro (and 1990 as well). As you may have understood, my preference went to Beyers :)
These are different headphones, closed vs opened, planar vs tesla. I found Sundara lifeless compared to Beyer, so I decided to sell it (and I did). In terms of comfort, I have no issues with the 1770, I don't find them uncomfortable compared to the Sundara.
Bass is more present on the 1770 and it tends to be less defined (also because of the presence), mids are more scooped and highs are...beyer highs, love them or hate them but I think they are awesome if the recording is good. DT1770 is more energetic and fun.
Maybe 1990 would be a more logic comparison given they are both open headphones and to me these beyers outclass the Sundara on every aspect, sonic and build wise.
I am referring to analytic pads for both the beyers. All was tested through Lake People G100W and Monolith THX amps.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #3,437 of 3,701
my 2 cents (actually 3 :) )

I had Sundara and still have DT1770pro (and 1990 as well). As you may have understood, my preference went to Beyers :)
These are different headphones, closed vs opened, planar vs tesla. I found Sundara lifeless compared to Beyer, so I decided to sell it (and I did). In terms of comfort, I have no issues with the 1770, I don't find them uncomfortable compared to the Sundara.
Bass is more present on the 1770 and it tends to be less defined (also because of the presence), mids are more scooped and highs are...beyer highs, love them or hate them but I think they are awesome if the recording is good. DT1770 is more energetic and fun.
Maybe 1990 would be a more logic comparison given they are both open headphones and to me these beyers outclass the Sundara on every aspect, sonic and build wise.
I am referring to analytic pads for both the beyers. All was tested through Lake People G100W and Monolith THX amps.
They certainly could. As mentioned, I didn't do the 2 side by side. I liked the Sundaras, but preferred the phantoms, and once I got the Beyers again... well, I have just gotten used to good iems I guess and the bulky headphones just felt cumbersome by comparison. I rarely used my Phantoms either. My Clairvoyance are my go to. Easy to drive and sound great, but I do miss that wide open beyer staging. I did do a direct comparison of Sundara to Amiron Home. Sundara wins hands down. The Amiron Home sound muddled by comparison. The overall lack of resolution was pretty shocking, actually, as I had remembered them being a solid set, but once I compared them, it wasn't even close. The 1770 are still my favorite closed can though. Dekoni blue have been my favorite semi open, and Thieaudio Phantom for open. To each their own.

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #3,439 of 3,701
That's hard to say. They are definitely better. The thing that always stuck out to me was stage for the 770. 1770 is just as good, but improves in clarity. Top can get hot, and bass can get a bit loose, but when EQ'd right, it's a nice headphone.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #3,440 of 3,701
That's hard to say. They are definitely better. The thing that always stuck out to me was stage for the 770. 1770 is just as good, but improves in clarity. Top can get hot, and bass can get a bit loose, but when EQ'd right, it's a nice headphone.
I have owned the DT1770 pro for just over a year and have found great synergy between the 1770, Lavricable silver hp cable, and the Violectric V280. Bass is firm & deep, midrange is “there”, treble is clear & airy: plus the soundstage is very good for a closed-back hp.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,441 of 3,701
I have owned the DT1770 pro for just over a year and have found great synergy between the 1770, Lavricable silver hp cable, and the Violectric V280. Bass is firm & deep, midrange is “there”, treble is clear & airy: plus the soundstage is very good for a closed-back hp.
Same here, I own the DT1770 pro for a year now, great synergy with Lake People G100w (Violectric’s mini me) but also with thx amps. Actually THX deliver really clean bass response with 1770pro and my impression is that mids are more forward too, which is a good thing.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #3,445 of 3,701
I had the same question myself... 1770 or 770 80Ohm... Metal 571 told me 770 sounds better, and cost less. 1770 a bit treeble piercing...

Still not sure what is worth it to purchase... A decent bassy planar is over 1000€. Maybe worth to order both and compare I guess. Then again, 770, not only is chepaer, can be 80Ohm which works with ipods and phones... almost same sound if not better, you can customize the cable entrance, pads... Closed back is good for outdoors, needs to be med impedance minimum, no?

I could order both and compare, and keep only one. 770 just seems cooler to me really, my only worry is that maybe it's not detailed enough to be combined with a HD6XX... If it's harsh at times or just not detailed enough, then I will not use it I guess...

Feb 15, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #3,446 of 3,701
I don't think the 770 sounds better at all. Maybe a little larger soundstage, but otherwise the 1770 is a clear upgrade.

To me, the 1770 comes off as having smoother treble. The 770 has slightly spikier treble, whereas the 1770 has a broad treble emphasis with smaller spikes. Neither are smooth, of course, but the 1770's feels more even-handed.

In terms of bass, the 1770 has more, quicker, and more balanced bass. The 770 goes low, but it's missing a little bit of impact in the mid-bass region, while the 1770 carries most of its power all the way through the bass.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #3,447 of 3,701
Is this 1770 only or have we kinda wrapped the 177x in as well? I can't seem to find a 177x thread that's active.

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,448 of 3,701
Bought the 1770 about a week ago and read every single page in this thread. Amazing source of information here and probably what made me buy these in the end.

Now, I got these connected to a nad c316bee, which in turn is connected to PC, through the analog output. It's a realtec s1220a.
It sounds horrible, no dynamic, no separation, muddy bass. I have been able to improve it slightly through the eq settings, but while I can make one track sound better, it skews everything else, so I have to revert.
Hooked up a cd player to the nad also, and wow. Huge difference. Been comparing a pile of cd's with spotify, and everything sounds better from the cd. Airy, tight and punchy bass. Night and day.

So, trying to figure out my next step. While I understand that the quality from the CD is obviously better than Spotify, it cant be this huge amount of difference.

Should I get a seperate dac and probably amp while im at it? Im not sure how well the NAD's headphone output can handle the 1770.

Been looking it a magni and modi stack, could this be an improvement to my setup? Anything better in the 500$ range?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #3,449 of 3,701
I would start from a DAC, that will provide a massive improvement.
You are lucky, there are plenty of options these days in the DAC arena for your price range , schiit, topping, SMSL, Soncoz...
I owned the Soncoz LA QXD.1 for a while and it was a very nice device. I heard positive opinions on the Khadas Tone Board 2 as well.
Both should be in the 200 to 250 USD price range. You can evaluate the dedicate amp after that.
Probably another step up would be to upgrade spotify to a HD streaming service (Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon etc) , or wait Spotify to launch its own.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #3,450 of 3,701
those two are great dacs for the price, really great. Soncoz a bit on the shouty side, like khadas 1. Perfect dac's, don't get me wrong, but if you can get something like a topping e30 with AKM dac chip, it sounds smoother overall, still giving perfect detail. Still shouty, but a tiny bit less than ess dac's.

So hard to buy headphones without been able to test them. I want to buy something but can't decide between 770, 1770, sundara, lcd 2c, lcd X... I want something bassy, and apparently it has to be planar or closed cans with dynamic driver. 2nd option much cheaper...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back