Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Feb 10, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,717 of 3,701
I knew somebody would ask that question, and the truth is, that even though I've had the DT1770s connected to the Mojo, I haven't really listened to them in any kind of critical form in that configuration.

I'm not what you would call a typical headfier in that I don't spend much time at all plugging different HPs into different sources to find out what they sound like. I tend to have a purpose in mind for any equipment that I buy, and if that equipment works well in my intended configuration then that's how it stays.

However I can tell you that the DT1990 and Mojo combination sounds absolutely fantastic with classical music.

You need to consider output, the Black has 1V and Red 2V but the Mojo is nearly 5V, consequently I would tend to think either AQ unit will need a TT headphone amp to be even remotely competitive.  And while AQ purportedly will offer MQA support, please also remember that both top out at 96kHz and neither offers DSD -- there's just no comparison

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #2,718 of 3,701
  You need to consider output, the Black has 1V and Red 2V but the Mojo is nearly 5V, consequently I would tend to think either AQ unit will need a TT headphone amp to be even remotely competitive.  And while AQ purportedly will offer MQA support, please also remember that both top out at 96kHz and neither offers DSD -- there's just no comparison

Thanks for your input. I had the Mojo before and have compared it with the DFR with Nighthawks. You'll be surprised that DFR does a decent job of powering the NH. Now DT1770 has a much higher impedance hence I am interested if DFR is able to also drive 1770 decently. I am convinced that the Mojo is worth its price but you got to remember for the price difference between a DFR and Mojo, you can get a used 1770.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,719 of 3,701
Thanks for your input. I had the Mojo before and have compared it with the DFR with Nighthawks. You'll be surprised that DFR does a decent job of powering the NH. Now DT1770 has a much higher impedance hence I am interested if DFR is able to also drive 1770 decently. I am convinced that the Mojo is worth its price but you got to remember for the price difference between a DFR and Mojo, you can get a used 1770.

Yes the Dragonfly Red will drive the DT1770s very well - no problem at all. Despite the 250Ω the DT1770s are sensitive enough to be driven reasonably well direct from an iToy although they'll sound somewhat less dynamic in their presentation compared to the Dragonfly.

It's how I used the D1770s the vast majority of the time. If I was to have one complaint about the DFR it would be the slight treble glare it has, otherwise it's an excellent match for the DT1770 IMO.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,720 of 3,701
Yes the Dragonfly Red will drive the DT1770s very well - no problem at all. Despite the 250Ω the DT1770s are sensitive enough to be driven reasonably well direct from an iToy although they'll sound somewhat less dynamic in their presentation compared to the Dragonfly.

It's how I used the D1770s the vast majority of the time. If I was to have one complaint about the DFR it would be the slight treble glare it has, otherwise it's an excellent match for the DT1770 IMO.

How serious is the treble glare? Would you say it is brighter than the iphone output? I find big headphone to be a bit bright coming out from my iphone as it is underpowered.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,722 of 3,701
new owner of DT1770, got them for a great price from the BST section. My previous Beyers were DT770 and DT990, was a little hesitant first as I didn't quite like those two. But this one is a completely different beast! So far quite liking what I hear, the treble isn't fatiguing at all to me. There is a very slight V shape which I actually like for a closed pair of cans. Compared to my Lawton TH600 the treble extension is definitely better. 

I am running them from my Sony UDA-1 which introduces slight hiss when music is not playing. Quite surprised how sensitive these are. A Chord Mojo is incoming that will replace the UDA-1, let's see how that fares, never owned a Chord product before. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,723 of 3,701
They are really great EDM cans (or really any music) and the sub bass is awesome for movies. One of my favorite sealed cans.

And treble is something I really like too. They are detailed and crispy but not fatiguing. You can really crank them up and they still sound great. Soundstage and imaging is also really impressive for a closed, fully sealed headphone.

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #2,724 of 3,701
  new owner of DT1770, got them for a great price from the BST section. My previous Beyers were DT770 and DT990, was a little hesitant first as I didn't quite like those two. But this one is a completely different beast! So far quite liking what I hear, the treble isn't fatiguing at all to me. There is a very slight V shape which I actually like for a closed pair of cans. Compared to my Lawton TH600 the treble extension is definitely better. 

I am running them from my Sony UDA-1 which introduces slight hiss when music is not playing. Quite surprised how sensitive these are. A Chord Mojo is incoming that will replace the UDA-1, let's see how that fares, never owned a Chord product before. 

I have a Sony UDA-1 myself. My DT 1770 have a slight hiss from it. My first DT 1990 did as well. But my second DT 1990 is dead silent on the UDA-1 as is my Amiron. Curious how the Chord Mojo compares. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,725 of 3,701
Guys can you help me find a DAC and AMP that runs well paired with my dt 1770? I asked this before but I wasn't able to find a good one yet. I honestly don't want to spend more than 100€ for a dac and another 100 for a amp +/- 25€. While there are a lot of great options on the american market, here in Germany it's hard to find something good. The schiit Jotunheim for example is 550€ here in Germany. 400$ in the USA, but here it's freaking 550€, we get screwed were hard here in Germany.

The modi II is 125€ and so is the magni II. If I buy both of them I am at 250€. If I go to amazon and search for 50-150€ DACs I find mostly plastic trash or small portable devices. There is for example this one called FiiO E10K Olympus 2. Is it good? I don't know, but it sure as hell looks ugly and more importantly it's tiny. I think it would look stupid in the middle of my desk. Then there is this thing called ifi nano iDSD LE, it at least looks somewhat better than the other options.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,726 of 3,701
  Guys can you help me find a DAC and AMP that runs well paired with my dt 1770? I asked this before but I wasn't able to find a good one yet. I honestly don't want to spend more than 100€ for a dac and another 100 for a amp +/- 25€. While there are a lot of great options on the american market, here in Germany it's hard to find something good. The schiit Jotunheim for example is 550€ here in Germany. 400$ in the USA, but here it's freaking 550€, we get screwed were hard here in Germany.

The modi II is 125€ and so is the magni II. If I buy both of them I am at 250€. If I go to amazon and search for 50-150€ DACs I find mostly plastic trash or small portable devices. There is for example this one called FiiO E10K Olympus 2. Is it good? I don't know, but it sure as hell looks ugly and more importantly it's tiny. I think it would look stupid in the middle of my desk. Then there is this thing called ifi nano iDSD LE, it at least looks somewhat better than the other options.

For that price range I would consider the following based on availability in your area: schiit fulla 2, emotiva little ego, or maybe the hifime sabre 9018 for transportability. When available, I would also look into the  Centrance DACport Slim on Massdrop. For mostly mobile use I would look into the audioquest dragonfly black v1.5.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,728 of 3,701

- Why are the prices lower on Schiit.com ?
Simply our prices are not higher, in fact in some cases our prices are lower than Schiit.com. The prices on Schiit.com are for countries where there is no distributor. A customer from such a country needs transportation to their country of origin and customs clearance rights and pay their own taxes. In countries where there is a Schiit distributor, these costs are already covered. Just see the calculation for one of the products as example below.

http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/frequently-asked-questions.html

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #2,729 of 3,701
I just bought this headphone. Im a Audiophile Basshead and this HP sounds very nice. Bought it for < $300 brand new.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #2,730 of 3,701
I consider them to be great cans for an audiophile bass head. They are one of my favorite closed back headphones. The bass is really fun and punchy. Congrats on the purchase, that is a great deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back