Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Feb 1, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #2,702 of 3,701
  You might as well keep your SS amp and just use EQ to get DT1770 sound what you like. All the 120-ohm output impedance do is introduce distortion into the signal which changes the overall sound.

I agree. I sometimes find it hard to justify the price I paid for my Bottlehead Crack, when some EQing could probably do just the same effect if not most of the effect.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #2,703 of 3,701
Good day, Everybody!

I'm contemplating buying 1770's cans from amazon with a delivery to another country. This makes possible RMA a pain, should one be needed. Does anybody know whether the Germans fixed this rattling issue which is all over the user reviews in the internet?

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,705 of 3,701
Good day, Everybody!

I'm contemplating buying 1770's cans from amazon with a delivery to another country. This make possible RMA a pain, should one be needed. Does anybody know whether the Germans fixed this rattling issue which is all over the user reviews in the internet?

That only affected a very few units by all accounts. I have a DT1770 with a serial number which is in the range of those supposedly affected, and so far no rattle after almost a year of ownership, and I use them pretty much every day.

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #2,706 of 3,701
That only affected a very few units by all accounts. I have a DT1770 with a serial number which is in the range of those supposedly affected, and so far no rattle after almost a year of ownership, and I use them pretty much every day.

Good day, Everybody!

I'm contemplating buying 1770's cans from amazon with a delivery to another country. This make possible RMA a pain, should one be needed. Does anybody know whether the Germans fixed this rattling issue which is all over the user reviews in the internet?

Yes, it has been fixed.  It was a problem in manufacture in the early production runs (around Sep 2015) and the Beyerdynamic company was very responsive in assisting customers.  My unit with serial number #2020 had the problem but a replacement received direct from Beyerdynamic USA with serial #4040 is perfect.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,708 of 3,701
The debate here about whether the 1770 is sufficiently better than the 770 to warrant upgrading prompted me to get them both out and compare (again).

To my ears, the 1770 is much more refined and provides a lot more detail and air in the treble. However, when paired with a better quality DAC and amp, the differences in quality and scalability truly emerge. This has been touched on here, but let me concur that the 1770 improves much more than the 770 does when fed a better signal.  So, with a lower grade rig, the differences are not as pronounced (although still present) as when played via higher quality DAC-amp.

Only your own ears and wallet can decide.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,709 of 3,701
I agree the upgrade is very significant having used both back to back.

The dt1770 really just addresses the weaknesses of the original. The mids are improved and less recessed, bass is excellent and hits hard, just really solid bass, and treble is smoother with less perkiness than the original. The soundstage is also excellent for a closed can, good imaging, and the build quality exceptional. The original is not a bad phone, but the harsh treble and mid thinness for some music really made itself apparent, depending on genre.

You can enjoy either, but I think the dt1770 is a great upgrade and a really excellent comfortable sealed can. I like them much more with the velour pads though, not a huge fan of them with the pleather pads.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,710 of 3,701
The debate here about whether the 1770 is sufficiently better than the 770 to warrant upgrading prompted me to get them both out and compare (again).

To my ears, the 1770 is much more refined and provides a lot more detail and air in the treble. However, when paired with a better quality DAC and amp, the differences in quality and scalability truly emerge. This has been touched on here, but let me concur that the 1770 improves much more than the 770 does when fed a better signal.  So, with a lower grade rig, the differences are not as pronounced (although still present) as when played via higher quality DAC-amp.

Only your own ears and wallet can decide.

I tend to agree with you. I've just got hold of the 770 32Ω, having had the 1770 for nearly a year (I got a good deal on the 770s and wanted full over ears for my winter commute). To my ears they are more similar than different - although there's no getting away from the 770s quite peaky treble at times (they've only got about 7 hours on them at the moment so maybe this will mellow). This is something the 1770 avoids, but certainly not to the detriment of the treble detail.

If I was to sum up the difference between the two, it basically comes down to the detail and layering in all departments, with the 1770 way out in front. That said the 770 is certianly no slouch, and with a similar tonal balance, treble excepted, it's still a great listen - especially for the price

For me it's worth owning both, if only for the different purposes I put them to. 770 are, for me, good commuting HPs, and the 1770s are great in my home studio for giving me the detail I need to get a mix right, and a taste of sub bass late at night when I really can't put my sub woofer to use - I like my neighbours :wink:

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #2,711 of 3,701
I tend to agree with you. I've just got hold of the 770 32Ω, having had the 1770 for nearly a year (I got a good deal on the 770s and wanted full over ears for my winter commute). To my ears they are more similar than different - although there's no getting away from the 770s quite peaky treble at times (they've only got about 7 hours on them at the moment so maybe this will mellow). This is something the 1770 avoids, but certainly not to the detriment of the treble detail.

If I was to sum up the difference between the two, it basically comes down to the detail and layering in all departments, with the 1770 way out in front. That said the 770 is certianly no slouch, and with a similar tonal balance, treble excepted, it's still a great listen - especially for the price

For me it's worth owning both, if only for the different purposes I put them to. 770 are, for me, good commuting HPs, and the 1770s are great in my home studio for giving me the detail I need to get a mix right, and a taste of sub bass late at night when I really can't put my sub woofer to use - I like my neighbours
wink.gif

Very helpful. What do you have them hooked to when at home, and on the go for the 32ohm. Do you correct them or just as is. Thx

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #2,713 of 3,701
Very helpful. What do you have them hooked to when at home, and on the go for the 32ohm. Do you correct them or just as is. Thx

With the 770 32 I'm using them straight out of an iPod touch 6th gen - it seems to power them well, and I'm not left thinking that I need an external DAC/Amp to enjoy them in a portable scenario.

With the 1770s when listening to music I tend to use them mostly from iPod touch 5th gen with a Dragonfly Red. The 1770 sounds a bit flat directly from the iPods output although it powers them to reasonable volume levels, an advantage of the Tesla drivers extra sensitivity. However the Dragonfly puts the dynamics back in.

I've not tried the 770s with the Dragonfly yet, but I fear the slight treble glare from the Dragonfly's Sabre DAC would not be a good match for the already peaky treble of the 770.

I also have a Chord Mojo, but I tend to use that almost exclusively with the DT1990s, and really only for classical listening.

I don't do any EQ, or any other correction, when purely listening as I happen to like the variation of tone that my different headphones give me.

​Hi Slaphead. How would you compare the DT1770s to the Amiron Home's and T90s ? Thanks.

I couldn't compare the DT1770 to those as I've not heard either of them. Even though I've read other peoples/reviewers opinions of both, it wouldn't be right for me to give speculative comparison without actually hearing them.

I'd like to add that it's all very well getting peoples opinions on different headphones, but no two people hear in exactly the same way, nor are their tastes likely to be exactly the same. So, while you may get a basic idea of the merits of each headphone, it's still going to be a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to buy.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #2,714 of 3,701
With the 770 32 I'm using them straight out of an iPod touch 6th gen - it seems to power them well, and I'm not left thinking that I need an external DAC/Amp to enjoy them in a portable scenario.

With the 1770s when listening to music I tend to use them mostly from iPod touch 5th gen with a Dragonfly Red. The 1770 sounds a bit flat directly from the iPods output although it powers them to reasonable volume levels, an advantage of the Tesla drivers extra sensitivity. However the Dragonfly puts the dynamics back in.

I've not tried the 770s with the Dragonfly yet, but I fear the slight treble glare from the Dragonfly's Sabre DAC would not be a good match for the already peaky treble of the 770.

I also have a Chord Mojo, but I tend to use that almost exclusively with the DT1990s, and really only for classical listening.

I don't do any EQ, or any other correction, when purely listening as I happen to like the variation of tone that my different headphones give me.
I couldn't compare the DT1770 to those as I've not heard either of them. Even though I've read other peoples/reviewers opinions of both, it wouldn't be right for me to give speculative comparison without actually hearing them.

I'd like to add that it's all very well getting peoples opinions on different headphones, but no two people hear in exactly the same way, nor are their tastes likely to be exactly the same. So, while you may get a basic idea of the merits of each headphone, it's still going to be a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to buy.

Is there a big difference between the mojo and dragonfly driving the 1770?

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #2,715 of 3,701
 Is there a big difference between the mojo and dragonfly driving the 1770?

I knew somebody would ask that question, and the truth is, that even though I've had the DT1770s connected to the Mojo, I haven't really listened to them in any kind of critical form in that configuration.

I'm not what you would call a typical headfier in that I don't spend much time at all plugging different HPs into different sources to find out what they sound like. I tend to have a purpose in mind for any equipment that I buy, and if that equipment works well in my intended configuration then that's how it stays.

However I can tell you that the DT1990 and Mojo combination sounds absolutely fantastic with classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back