Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jul 19, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #2,161 of 3,701
An audiophile fun sound is the last thing you want from a monitoring headphone - that's what beyers consumer range is for. Personally I'm hoping for something closer to the DT880s tonal signature, but with more detail.

I used to own the DT880 pro 250ohm. It's probably the most neutral headphone I've owned but still had some minor issues in the mids. They weren't exactly recessed, but very flat/thin in a way it seemed. I never got to try them on a tube amp though which would probably help lots. My current favorite is the AD1000X which is kind of the opposite of the DT880 and less neutral. The mids are more forward but feels like the airy highs are rolled off. The midbass is warmer than neutral too but feels like the lower bass is also rolled off. I'm currently looking for a closed can compliment with a relatively neutral overall signature but a bit north of neutral in the bass with great impact. I wouldn't mind owning the DT1770 but the price is a bit much right now. I've recently found again threads about the sony MDR-7520 that with Beyer DT-250 pads sounds about perfect and can be found under $300 (used to be $400). Not sure if anybody has heard both the Sony 7520 and DT1770?

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #2,162 of 3,701
Hmm... never heard the 7520 with dt250 pads but stock comparison between the dt1770 and mdr-7520 goes in bullets like:
- soundstage is much wider on the Beyer whereas the Sony is very center sounding
- instrument separation is the about the same, which is amazing on the Sony considering it has very limited width
- depth goes to the Beyer but not by much, imaging is about even
- bass on the Beyer is much more controlled but has a nice impact to it, very solid sounding and doesn't bleed into mids whereas the Sony has more weight and impact but can sometimes encroach the lower mids depending on the recording. The Sony will keep up with bass head tracks.
- The mids on the Beyer is better but can sound dry at times, although neutral and fantastic for instruments and vocals including female. The Sony has a more liquid mid that takes on that house sound(similar to ATH).
- The treble on the Beyer has air and crisp with great extension yet it walks a fine line of being forgiving enough to listen to even mediocre mastered songs, a highlight and something very well done by Beyer on this. The Sony treble is subdued and makes for long listening easy to do. Even with this trait it doesn't give up the details as much as it does extension. You won't miss the treble content but you'll need to pay attention closer because it isn't going to jump out at you.

Imo the Beyer is a more well balanced and finely tuned phone. However those looking for more bass and a warm Sony house sound need to check out the 7520. From sheer ability aside from bass impact, the Beyer wins this comparison.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #2,163 of 3,701
Hmm... never heard the 7520 with dt250 pads but stock comparison between the dt1770 and mdr-7520 goes in bullets like:
- soundstage is much wider on the Beyer whereas the Sony is very center sounding
- instrument separation is the about the same, which is amazing on the Sony considering it has very limited width
- depth goes to the Beyer but not by much, imaging is about even
- bass on the Beyer is much more controlled but has a nice impact to it, very solid sounding and doesn't bleed into mids whereas the Sony has more weight and impact but can sometimes encroach the lower mids depending on the recording. The Sony will keep up with bass head tracks.
- The mids on the Beyer is better but can sound dry at times, although neutral and fantastic for instruments and vocals including female. The Sony has a more liquid mid that takes on that house sound(similar to ATH).
- The treble on the Beyer has air and crisp with great extension yet it walks a fine line of being forgiving enough to listen to even mediocre mastered songs, a highlight and something very well done by Beyer on this. The Sony treble is subdued and makes for long listening easy to do. Even with this trait it doesn't give up the details as much as it does extension. You won't miss the treble content but you'll need to pay attention closer because it isn't going to jump out at you.

Imo the Beyer is a more well balanced and finely tuned phone. However those looking for more bass and a warm Sony house sound need to check out the 7520. From sheer ability aside from bass impact, the Beyer wins this comparison.

The Beyer pads supposedly tame an overdone midbass hump just a bit and tame a bit of edge in part of the highs or something like that. Also just improve overall comfort. I'm more looking for a headphone I can play my metal and alt rock at higher levels without bothering other people in the room. As well as occasional portability. (I'm liberal on the portability term. I used use my Beyer DT880 as portable phones which most people wouldn't do). Thank you for the comparison!

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #2,164 of 3,701
  The Beyer pads supposedly tame an overdone midbass hump just a bit and tame a bit of edge in part of the highs or something like that. Also just improve overall comfort. I'm more looking for a headphone I can play my metal and alt rock at higher levels without bothering other people in the room. As well as occasional portability. (I'm liberal on the portability term. I used use my Beyer DT880 as portable phones which most people wouldn't do). Thank you for the comparison!

The Beyers have maybe 5-10db isolation over the Sony, I used the Beyer on the Amtrak this weekend and it did a fantastic job blocking out the outside. I should also mention that my comparison above was with the Beyer using the velour pads, I've yet to try the (p?)leather pads.

Since you're into metal/rock, unless you're choosing more on sound quality over content of the albums I would side with Sony just because most metal/rock albums have too much compression and may be troublesome with the Beyer's sound.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,165 of 3,701
Left driver died, again.

The replacement pair too developed left driver failure. Hoping to get a replacement again. Will contact beyerdynamic tomorrow. Can't believe, two pairs in a span of 6 months.

Edit: beyerdynamic India came forward to replace the headphones with a new pair today. Very much appreciate its support. Faith still rock solid.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #2,166 of 3,701
Overall, I'm into a wide range of music. But I figure closed phones are good when I want to crank things up which is usually rock and metal. I might pick up the Sonys with my next paycheck.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #2,168 of 3,701

To show what I mean by it being misaligned, here is what it looks like on my left driver.

Hey guys I'm trying to think of how I can make my DT1770 balanced. This looks like the input for the left driver and an interconnect for the right channel, correct? So I can run 4 wires into the left cup and then distribute the left and right signals and their grounds. Or does that board need to be in play for the right channel to properly work?

Hmm, funny. I just opened mine and discovered that the connectors on my left driver are swapped. The 3 Pin input is on the left and the the 2 pin that goes to the right driver is on the right connector. Do you think it changes the phase depending on which connector I plug in. The conductor track seems like that. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #2,170 of 3,701
On the left connector from left to right.
1. pin goes down to driver cable and to the middle pin of the right connector
2. pin goes to 1. pin of the right connector and the right driver cable
3. pin goes to 3. pin on the right. 

Something like that. 
You can also see, that they marked the driver with a red pen, on the right connector. I had the assumption that this would display the + of the driver. 
But based on the routing above, one would assume that it is the other way around. Confusing :D

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,171 of 3,701
The right connector doesn't have a middle cable, correct? So let's assume pin 1 of the left connector is the left driver's +, now to figure which of the two cables on the middle and right of the left connector are the ground. The 3-wire cable going to the left connector will tell you which is ground by seeing which of the 3 is the sleeve on the 3.5mm plug (Tip, Ring, Sleeve = ground). The ground will either be the white or red on your right connector so with the 3-wire cable plugged in, see which on the right connector is connected to the sleeve/ground.

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,173 of 3,701
Let me know what you get! Would like to label those pin-outs for future reference.

Also, does anyone know if a 3-pin mini xlr male to 3.5MM female adapter exist? I would like to connect both cables to make one really long cable if possible.
Edit -- I found one from Spain. I suppose I can make it myself but this is pretty cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Male-3-Pin-XLR-to-3-5mm-1-8-Female-adapter-cable-tiny-XLR-Neutrik/282090695844

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #2,174 of 3,701
  Also, does anyone know if a 3-pin mini xlr male to 3.5MM female adapter exist?

Yes they do, and we can build them.
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/interconnect.html

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jul 24, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #2,175 of 3,701
Hi,

I need closed-back headphones (because of the noise from the street in my new flat) and I've been told about those DT 1770 Pro's. I've always had open-back headphones and I have some questions. First off I'd like to know if closed-back headphones are a lot more 'fatiguing' for ears. I'm used to my Sennheiser HD 600. What good amp/DAC would yould recommend? I have the Schiit combo Vali 2 + Modi 2 Uber (also a Aune X1). Thank you for the help!

DT 1770 Pro's are more "studio headphones". Is it still recommended to have this kind of headphones if I "only" use them in order to listen to my albums? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back