Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jul 15, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #2,131 of 3,701
I call dibs on making the thread for DT1880 coming at IFA 2017 :D

I don't think we will - If you read the press release it alludes to Beyer having completed their professional headphone line up, and quite frankly if the DT1990 is as good of an open back headphone as the DT1770 is for a closed back then it would be difficult to see where a DT1880 would fit in the range.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #2,132 of 3,701
I don't think we will - If you read the press release it alludes to Beyer having completed their professional headphone line up, and quite frankly if the DT1990 is as good of an open back headphone as the DT1770 is for a closed back then it would be difficult to see where a DT1880 would fit in the range.

Your right the wording can be taken to mean that, but I would still be surprised if we don't see a DT1880 next year, as the DT880 is too iconic a model for Beyer not to capitalize on it, it's almost like they are leaving the best till last with DT1880.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #2,133 of 3,701

Your right the wording can be taken to mean that, but I would still be surprised if we don't see a DT1880 next year, as the DT880 is too iconic a model for Beyer not to capitalize on it, it's almost like they are leaving the best till last with DT1880.

Beyerdynamic is watching the upper-end of the headphone market increase at a quite frankly - silly rate.

It would be foolish of them to not compete with the other big players in the $1500-$2000 bracket.

I'm thinking TRANCE is onto something.

Just my two cents.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2,134 of 3,701
Beyerdynamic is watching the upper-end of the headphone market increase at a quite frankly - silly rate.

It would be foolish of them to not compete with the other big players in the $1500-$2000 bracket.

I'm thinking TRANCE is onto something.

Just my two cents.

The professional market in most instances simply won't pay $1500 - $2000 for headphones. Monitors yes (and more), but headphones no. Sure, there are producers and mix/mastering engineers that do, but that tends to be based on personal choice and not really a mainstream thing. If you're equipping a studio the monitors will be the priority and the headphones will be a very distant second, only to be used in the rare instances where monitors are not appropriate

The $1500 - $2000, and higher, price bracket will remain the reserve of the consumer market as the professional market won't bear those kind of costs for headphones

Why do you think the DT1770 pros are around half the price of the TOTL consumer closed backs in beyers range? And also remember that beyer keeps its consumer and pro channels very separate as the two markets vary immensely in their requirements.

I've often said buy pro audio gear, as most of the time you do get more bang for your buck.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #2,135 of 3,701
I have several Beyerdynamic headphones that would be considered bottom of the barrel low-fi if it weren't for the fact that theyve been modified. With that said, I think anything past the 500 buck price point is a rapid drop of deminishing returns. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #2,136 of 3,701
Beyerdynamic is watching the upper-end of the headphone market increase at a quite frankly - silly rate. It would be foolish of them to not compete with the other big players in the $1500-$2000 bracket.

I didn't mean the DT1880 is going to be some expensive flagship, was just saying I'm sure Beyer will announce DT1880 next year, will no doubt be in the same price bracket as 1770 and 1990, around $600.

I have several Beyerdynamic headphones that would be considered bottom of the barrel low-fi if it weren't for the fact that theyve been modified. With that said, I think anything past the 500 buck price point is a rapid drop of diminishing returns. 

I bought a T5P a while ago and that thing went straight back asap, no way was it worth 1K, I stuck to my trusty DT770! Now I have DT1770 bought for $450, and I feel it is right on the level of value/performance, sounds just as good as the T5P to me, but I did like the leather earpads/headband on T5P, too bad the new T5P 2nd gen no longer uses real leather!
I also tried an 8 driver ciem, sold that thing asap, not worth 1K, will stick to iem's that cost half as much that sound just as good, even with one single lonely driver.... I've learn't my lesson.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,137 of 3,701

I didn't mean the DT1880 is going to be some expensive flagship, was just saying I'm sure Beyer will announce DT1880 next year, will no doubt be in the same price bracket as 1770 and 1990, around $600.

I bought a T5P a while ago and that thing went straight back asap, no way was it worth 1K, I stuck to my trusty DT770! Now I have DT1770 bought for $450, and I feel it is right on the level of value/performance, sounds just as good as the T5P to me, but I did like the leather earpads/headband on T5P, too bad the new T5P 2nd gen no longer uses real leather!
I also tried an 8 driver ciem, sold that thing asap, not worth 1K, will stick to iem's that cost half as much that sound just as good, even with one single lonely driver.... I've learn't my lesson.

I can"t agree more! Ive heard flagship cans before from the top headphone venders...the difference is there but...not worth the extra jack! Dont get me wrong the HP's that cost 3k look, smell, feel, taste amazing...oh now I need a cold shower... But really the dont sound a hell of a lot better than my antiquated 770's.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #2,138 of 3,701
I can"t agree more! Ive heard flagship cans before from the top headphone venders...the difference is there but...not worth the extra jack! Dont get me wrong the HP's that cost 3k look, smell, feel, taste amazing...oh now I need a cold shower... But really the dont sound a hell of a lot better than my antiquated 770's.

Imo the super expensive headphones do sound a hell of a lot better than the dt770, but don't sound much better than the dt1770.

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,143 of 3,701

Where did you get the 1770 for $450.00?? Seriously looking at these but the cheapest I can get them for is around $670.00 AUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back