Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jul 24, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #2,176 of 3,701
Hi,

I need closed-back headphones (because of the noise from the street in my new flat) and I've been told about those DT 1770 Pro's. I've always had open-back headphones and I have some questions. First off I'd like to know if closed-back headphones are a lot more 'fatiguing' for ears. I'm used to my Sennheiser HD 600. What good amp/DAC would yould recommend? I have the Schiit combo Vali 2 + Modi 2 Uber (also a Aune X1). Thank you for the help!

DT 1770 Pro's are more "studio headphones". Is it still recommended to have this kind of headphones if I "only" use them in order to listen to my albums? Thank you.

Totally - if you get on with the sound signature. All of the headphones I listen to regularly are classed as studio monitoring/tracking headphones as I happen to like that presentation. Admittedly I do do some music production as a hobby, but that alone didn't dictate to me what headphones I chose.

As for your Schiit combo, well I would imagine it will be fine - I frequently use the DT1770s just straight from an iPod touch 5th gen - no external amp or dac - and they still sound fantastic.

Only your ears can tall you if they'll be fatiguing for you - there's no reason that closed backs should be any more fatiguing than open backs as it's more the tonal balance that determines how fatiguing they'll be - too strident in the highs, or too bass forward, but this will vary wildly from person to person.

Personally I think the DT1770s are the best closed backs that I've heard by a long way, but that's me, and your preferences may well be different to mine, therefore you should really try to listen to them before you pull the trigger.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #2,177 of 3,701
  Hi,

I need closed-back headphones (because of the noise from the street in my new flat) and I've been told about those DT 1770 Pro's. I've always had open-back headphones and I have some questions. First off I'd like to know if closed-back headphones are a lot more 'fatiguing' for ears. I'm used to my Sennheiser HD 600. What good amp/DAC would yould recommend? I have the Schiit combo Vali 2 + Modi 2 Uber (also a Aune X1). Thank you for the help!

DT 1770 Pro's are more "studio headphones". Is it still recommended to have this kind of headphones if I "only" use them in order to listen to my albums? Thank you.

The DT 1770 are not what I would call fatiguing, I personally found the HD 600 more fatiguing than the DT 1770, but it does vary from person to person what fatigues them. The DT 1770 is easy to get to sound good actually, sound good from portable and unamped even.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,179 of 3,701
Thank you. I'll try to listen to them and will get them probably!

If it helps you, I own both the HD650 and the DT1770. It is easy to like them both very much. I find the DT1770 is the closed back headphone in the HD600/650 class that Sennheiser refuses to do since long. I mean they sound different, but represent both the affordable and well made middle class. I can wear both for hours without any fatigue.

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,180 of 3,701
Hi let me show you an alternative cable for the DT1770:

It is from FORZA AUDIOWORKS. It's the Noir HPC Mk2 made for AKG K702. Love it, nice behaving cable very well made for 149€. Not cheap, but miles ahead of the Chinese cables on Ebay and Amazon.

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #2,181 of 3,701

Thank you. I'll try to listen to them and will get them probably!

If it helps you, I own both the HD650 and the DT1770. It is easy to like them both very much. I find the DT1770 is the closed back headphone in the HD600/650 class that Sennheiser refuses to do since long. I mean they sound different, but represent both the affordable and well made middle class. I can wear both for hours without any fatigue.

I totally agree. Both are quite similar, but DT1770 is still an edge better. Slightly more treble and better separation, which makes it really fun to listen to. But the HD650 wins on comfort imo.

Hi let me show you an alternative cable for the DT1770:

It is from FORZA AUDIOWORKS. It's the Noir HPC Mk2 made for AKG K702. Love it, nice behaving cable very well made for 149€. Not cheap, but miles ahead of the Chinese cables on Ebay and Amazon.

Very nice looking combination :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #2,182 of 3,701
Left driver died, again.

The replacement pair too developed left driver failure. Hoping to get a replacement again. Will contact beyerdynamic tomorrow. Can't believe, two pairs in a span of 6 months.

Edit: beyerdynamic India came forward to replace the headphones with a new pair today. Very much appreciate its support. Faith still rock solid.

beyerdynamic India came forward to replace the headphones with a new pair today. Very much appreciate its support. Faith still rock solid.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #2,183 of 3,701
Just got these today and they are beautiful, sound great, I am very happy!
Especially since I paid $438 total. Took a chance on "Like New" from OneCall and it worked out great. I think perhaps they have been tried on but it really doesn't even look like the cables were out of their bags. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2,184 of 3,701
Just got these today and they are beautiful, sound great, I am very happy!
Especially since I paid $438 total. Took a chance on "Like New" from OneCall and it worked out great. I think perhaps they have been tried on but it really doesn't even look like the cables were out of their bags. 

One of my "Like New" pairs from the same dealer developed left driver failure. You better get a replacement before warranty expires.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,185 of 3,701
One of my "Like New" pairs from the same dealer developed left driver failure. You better get a replacement before warranty expires.

I don't know if I have a warranty...

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #2,186 of 3,701

I had my right side of my DT 1770 die the other day, but it's not the driver on my pair as I tested the driver and it works fine, it's the cable connecting the two drivers on my pair, hopefully I can get it fixed soon.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,188 of 3,701
Thank you. Cable is more likely.

Yeah, I can fix as it's a very modular headphone, but I have to get a cable from Beyer, hopefully they can ship me one of those skinny cables. Dual entry like the T1 Gen 2 would of been better and more reliable on these headphones and some of these issues wouldn't of happened. I am bummed out as it's one of my favorite headphones I've owned, thankfully I do have a headphone I like just as much to hold me over until it's fixed.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,189 of 3,701
Do you mind if i ask how your Soundblaster E5 sounds with the DT1770pro. I can see you have listed it as an Amp. I currently have the Soundblaster E5 and am waiting for the DT1770pro to arrive.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,190 of 3,701
This thread has so many references to quality issues relating to the drivers on the DT1770pro. I have emailed BEYERDYNAMIC Europe and asked if the Product Manager can comment on the quality issues. I will ofcourse post the reply from BEYERDYNAMIC. If i do not get a satisfactory response i might cancel my Amazon order as it just seems too much if a risk. Even if there is no problem initially it seems that many people have experienced issues months after usage.

The other scary/concerning point is - (what about driver issues at a lower degree which customers might be experiencing, but are just not aware of them), yet the audio quality is degraded on £370 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back