Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Aug 15, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #136 of 3,701
DT770 is often used as a monitor headphone in the studio due to its comfort, good sound and very high isolation... I don't have the impression its primary use is mastering, at least not the 80Ohm version.

Headphones are second grade tools for studio purpose. No one in their right mind would use it for mastering, monitoring etc. unless some dude cannot afford good speakers

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #137 of 3,701
  Juan Virgo, however I do agree with you at the point where live-music can sound like schiit due to some factors

Yes, that's exactly  what I mean. The sound at rock/pop concerts in Israel is disgusting... 
The classical concerts are just fine, but there only an old people sitting around in parterre, so you hearing farting,coughing and blow flies near you, not the music.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #138 of 3,701
  Headphones are second grade tools for studio purpose. No one in their right mind would use it for mastering, monitoring etc. unless some dude cannot afford good speakers

Nowadays they are used more often due to the fact that much of a studios output is consumed on headphones and therefore needs to at least be checked for major problems. Thats usage for mastering. Monitoring is a different case, and I'm talking about monitoring on the other side of the glass, where the mics are: there headphones always had a fixed place.

Live monitoring, this time not for the musicians but the sound engineer, is another use case where headphones are quite common, closed of course. The DT770 fits that quite well actually. Monitoring on stage sees headphone-related tech as well: in-ear monitoring is much more common now and has definitive advantages for stage setup, musicians and sound engineers.

Seeing products like SPL Phonitor 1 and 2 there seems to be a minority using headphones for primary mastering purposes as well. But I guess its at least an open model... Still this seems to be more of a next-best option than a primary solution to the problem at hand as simulating a speaker setup will always be flawed.

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #139 of 3,701

Nowadays they are used more often due to the fact that much of a studios output is consumed on headphones and therefore needs to at least be checked for major problems. Thats usage for mastering. Monitoring is a different case, and I'm talking about monitoring on the other side of the glass, where the mics are: there headphones always had a fixed place.

Live monitoring, this time not for the musicians but the sound engineer, is another use case where headphones are quite common, closed of course. The DT770 fits that quite well actually. Monitoring on stage sees headphone-related tech as well: in-ear monitoring is much more common now and has definitive advantages for stage setup, musicians and sound engineers.

Seeing products like SPL Phonitor 1 and 2 there seems to be a minority using headphones for primary mastering purposes as well. But I guess its at least an open model... Still this seems to be more of a next-best option than a primary solution to the problem at hand as simulating a speaker setup will always be flawed.

It's a good practice, that mastering engineers use very good loudspeakers in a very good room, to judge the quality of a mix and give it a last treatment. Thruth is also, though, that in a professional mstering process, the mastering engineer will also use other monitoring devices apart from his/her reference speakers. (Or what do you believe Auratone monitors can be found in super-expensive studios?) Headphone's importance is rising on the reproduction side, so it's a normal development, so check with them in the production-chain. Same is true for mixing.

(By the way: Bob Katz wrote an interesting book about this: "Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science")

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #140 of 3,701

Hello. I want to ask you a couple of question and I hope it's not some kind of secret and you can answer me.) 
First, I've always wondered why in all old Beyerdynamic headphones, like the Dt990 Pro, Dt880Pro, Dt911 and many others there is a lot of damping material inside the cup, that prevents some kind of wave reflection, I guess. But then comes the Tesla series and there is nothing inside. The sound engineers of Beyerdynamic suddenly realized it's not necessary anymore?
Dt880DT990 T90T1

And the second question. As far as I can see in the new DT1770 you replaced a thing that connect the cup and the yoke (not sure how it's called in English). In old models it was made out of some plastic and now it's metal. And my question: is it possible to replace it on old models (first to buy this spare part when it becomes available, of course)? Or there is something in the cup that can prevent it?

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #141 of 3,701
  Hello. I want to ask you a couple of question and I hope it's not some kind of secret and you can answer me.) 
First, I've always wondered why in all old Beyerdynamic headphones, like the Dt990 Pro, Dt880Pro, Dt911 and many others there is a lot of damping material inside the cup, that prevents some kind of wave reflection, I guess. But then comes the Tesla series and there is nothing inside. The sound engineers of Beyerdynamic suddenly realized it's not necessary anymore?
Dt880DT990 T90T1

And the second question. As far as I can see in the new DT1770 you replaced a thing that connect the cup and the yoke (not sure how it's called in English). In old models it was made out of some plastic and now it's metal. And my question: is it possible to replace it on old models (first to buy this spare part when it becomes available, of course)? Or there is something in the cup that can prevent it?

Privet! You are right, that these materials are dampening materials. There is no "dogma" at beyerdynamic, whether to use or not use these kinds of materials on specific driver technologies (like Tesla), price points or whatsoever. We do what we feel is necessary to achieved the desired result. Often there are several ways to resolve acoustic challenges.

About these parts, which connect yokes and earcups - I don't know neither, how they are called in English. Let's call them like we do it in German: "Haltestück".
Frankly speaking, I don't know, if you can replace old Haltestücke with these new ones from the DT 1770 Pro. At least, this was not one of our goals.
You could als our service department, since they do the repairs. Good luck finding the ü in Haltestück on your keyboard.
gs1000.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #142 of 3,701

Originally Posted by qazxsw80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dt880DT990 T90T1

Privet! You are right, that these materials are dampening materials. There is no "dogma" at beyerdynamic, whether to use or not use these kinds of materials on specific driver technologies (like Tesla), price points or whatsoever. We do what we feel is necessary to achieved the desired result. Often there are several ways to resolve acoustic challenges.

About these parts, which connect yokes and earcups - I don't know neither, how they are called in English. Let's call them like we do it in German: "Haltestück".
Frankly speaking, I don't know, if you can replace old Haltestücke with these new ones from the DT 1770 Pro. At least, this was not one of our goals.
You could als our service department, since they do the repairs. Good luck finding the ü in Haltestück on your keyboard.
gs1000.gif

Since you already figured out how to say "hello" in russian, might as well translate "yoke" or better yet to make it easier (y-fork) just call it "vilka" 
biggrin.gif

Should be getting DT 1770 Pro within a month for review, very excited about it!

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #143 of 3,701

Since you already figured out how to say "hello" in russian, might as well translate "yoke" or better yet to make it easier (y-fork) just call it "vilka" 
biggrin.gif

Should be getting DT 1770 Pro within a month for review, very excited about it!

Do you know when they'll be out for us lowly common people? :) 

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #144 of 3,701
Dt880DT990 T90T1

HOw did you get to use it whne it's not out yet?

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #146 of 3,701
  Do you guys think these are worth the wait or should one hit the nail on the head and just buy an Oppo PM-3 right now?

Almost done with my PM-3 review, so if you hang around for a month when I have DT1770, will make sure to do a comparison :)  I just assume Beyer US will have them next month for sale.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #149 of 3,701
Beyerdynamic has several real studio classics, the DT770 being one of them
I appreciate your view on that. I run live sound (always with heavy duty ear plugs) and play in a few bands. Also do studio work. An advantage to the DT770 scooped sound I guess could be the massive treble spike will make them not push their 'esses' so much requiring less de-essing later. Same for the ATH-M50 which is also popular for that. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #150 of 3,701
  Next month? Nice, just found out I have a little windfall coming, I might just snag a DT1770 when it's released here.....

Got official confirmation, Beyer US should have stock by mid Sept and both, their website and Amazon, should start selling around that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back