Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Sep 25, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #61 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought ADD's DT150. Should arrive next week.
I hope this will end my search for a good closed headphone.
Looking forward to them.

BTW: denl82, I read your review on Amazon.com. Well done!

Thank you Tiemen=] Good luck with your new headphones!

Oct 5, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #63 of 2,575
Does anyone know when BeyerDynamic introduced the DT150?
I can't find it.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #64 of 2,575
I have the DT150 now for more than a week.
The former owner had only a few hours music on them, so at first listen the sound was boomy, slow and congested.
After some break-in, the bass became much tighter and the mids more forward. The highs are smooth, not harsh or sibilant at all.
I really love the meaty and full bodied sound, and the huge soundstage. The details are there, but not too much, which I like.
They are now toe tapping too.
From the closed headphones I owned, these ones have the best overall sound. Isolation is great as well.
Finally I have found a balanced sounding Beyer.

The comfort is unfortunately not so good. I had to bend the headband with force to get rid of the clamping force. The PVC pads are rather stiff and irritating. I ordered the DT100 velour pads, hope they will give some relief without altering the sound too much.
For now, my headphone search has ended
beyersmile.png

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #65 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the DT150 now for more than a week.
The former owner had only a few hours music on them, so at first listen the sound was boomy, slow and congested.
After some break-in, the bass became much tighter and the mids more forward. The highs are smooth, not harsh or sibilant at all.
I really love the meaty and full bodied sound, and the huge soundstage. The details are there, but not too much, which I like.
They are now toe tapping too.
From the closed headphones I owned, these ones have the best overall sound. Isolation is great as well.
Finally I have found a balanced sounding Beyer.

The comfort is unfortunately not so good. I had to bend the headband with force to get rid of the clamping force. The PVC pads are rather stiff and irritating. I ordered the DT100 velour pads, hope they will give some relief without altering the sound too much.
For now, my headphone search has ended
beyersmile.png

I might try out the velour DT100 pads as well. How much were they and did you get them directly from Beyerdynamic?

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #66 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might try out the velour DT100 pads as well. How much were they and did you get them directly from Beyerdynamic?

I bought them from Thomann.de: http://www.thomann.de/nl/beyerdynami...stervelour.htm
I had to pay 22,50 Euro, including shippingcosts.
Expect them to arrive at the end of this week.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #67 of 2,575
Oct 21, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #68 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! Let us know how you like them when they arrive.

I will.
And thank you for advising them in another thread. Much appreciated.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #69 of 2,575
So the DT100 velour pads arrived.
They are smaller than the DT150 pads, and comes with a piece of foam, which is thicker than the original foam.
It's a pain to put the velour pads on, but they fit. They surround my ears completely, and the ears are not touching the drives.
First thing I noticed: they are itchy. Not as nice as the DT 770 velour. More like the Sennheiser HD580 velour.
So off they went, into the washing machine.
Now that they are dry, I am listening to my DT150 with the velour pads.
The sound didn't change that much. It's slightly more mids focused. Bass is a little less, but tighter. There's a sharper drum attack. Less woolly.
I really can't tell if the highs has changed. When you finally put the new pads on, you forgot how it sounded with the other pair.
I think the soundstage is less wide, then with the stock pads. But I'm not sure.
Comfort is indeed much better, and the cans still sound great.
To use the words of Headfi-er zonalblitz, who has the DT100 PVC pads on his DT150:
"The timbres are precise(sharp attack, quick decay) along with better resonance at the lows."
I could not have said it better.

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #71 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by zonalblitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this it?

P1310026-2ePostF.jpg

P1310023e.jpg

Man! Those are nice phones! They look vintage to me? When were they produced?

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #72 of 2,575
Has anyone tried driving the DT 150s with portable amps?

I'm thinking of getting a pair (I'm trying to decide between them and the HD25s), but the 250Ohms worries me a bit. My amp is a Meier Porta Corda Mk III. I don't need to drive them very loud or anything, I only want them for work (where the room I'm in is silent).

Any tips would be much appriciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #73 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolpete111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried driving the DT 150s with portable amps?

I have in fact only used them with a portable amp. I got the DT150 about the same time as my new iBasso D3 Amp/DAC and I have been listening to them ever since. The D3 drives them very well, and I only listen with the volume dial between 12 and 1 o'clock. There seems to be plenty of power.

I think you will find a portable amp enough to drive these well, but I'm sure they also scale up quite well with a better source and amp.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #74 of 2,575
I have a quick question, I got my DT150 used and the pads were a little beat up. I ordered some replacement pads from Beyer and when they arrived they seem to be much shallower. By this I mean my ears now slightly touch the foam screen covering the drivers. This was not a problem with the old pads.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice in this situation. How does the size of the DT100 velour pads compare to the original DT150 pads? I prefer the thicker pads because the bass is more controlled and the soundstage seems wider. This is most likely due to the fact that the drivers are further away from my ears.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #75 of 2,575
Double post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back