Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Oct 26, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #76 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a quick question, I got my DT150 used and the pads were a little beat up. I ordered some replacement pads from Beyer and when they arrived they seem to be much shallower. By this I mean my ears now slightly touch the foam screen covering the drivers. This was not a problem with the old pads.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice in this situation. How does the size of the DT100 velour pads compare to the original DT150 pads? I prefer the thicker pads because the bass is more controlled and the soundstage seems wider. This is most likely due to the fact that the drivers are further away from my ears.

I'm afraid Beyer sold you the DT100 PVC pads.
I have the DT100 velour pads, who are also more shallow/ thinner than the DT150 stock pads.
Soundstage is indeed less wide with the DT100 velour pads, but I think the bass is better/ tighter. See my post #69.
If you want, you can buy my original DT150 earpads. They are like new.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #77 of 2,575
Well I just ordered some Garfield Softie earpad covers for my DT150. I'm hoping they will make the phones more comfortable, not that they are painful or anything. The covers are supposed to keep your ears warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot. All of this is supposed to take place with no effect to the sound. I'll let you guys you know more when they arrive.

Here's a link: Garfield | Headphone Softie - Earpad Covers - Black | SGARHS1

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #78 of 2,575
After a few more days with the DT100 velour pads on my DT150, I decided to go back to the stock DT150 PVC pads. I miss the soundstage too much, one of the sweet vritues of these cans.
A pity, because the DT100 pads gives more snap to the sound, and are far more comfortable.
You gain some, you loose some......

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #80 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiemen,
Bottom line, if it was between these and the k601 which one would you keep?

The DT150. Because of being closed, having more PRaT, more body to the sound and less sibilance.
The K601 is not suitable for heavier rock, the DT150 does that rather well, once properly burnt in. The DT150 is versatile enough to handle all kinds of music. I wish so much their comfort was better.

But I still have the K-400 with K601 foamrings and earpads
normal_smile .gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #81 of 2,575
Tiemen, I'll make sure and post back when I receive the "Softie" earpad covers. I'm hoping they make the phones more comfortable. There are just a few posts on Head-Fi about these covers, but they all seem to be positive.

In regards to the change in sound between the DT100 pads and the original pads, you are absolutely correct. They almost sound like two different phones when you change the pads. With the thinner pads the bass is much stronger and the soundstage is much less expansive. I can see people preferring both sound signatures. I, for one, prefer the controlled bass and wide soundscape offered by the thicker original pads.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #82 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiemen, I'll make sure and post back when I receive the "Softie" earpad covers. I'm hoping they make the phones more comfortable. There are just a few posts on Head-Fi about these covers, but they all seem to be positive.

In regards to the change in sound between the DT100 pads and the original pads, you are absolutely correct. They almost sound like two different phones when you change the pads. With the thinner pads the bass is much stronger and the soundstage is much less expansive. I can see people preferring both sound signatures. I, for one, prefer the controlled bass and wide soundscape offered by the thicker original pads.

Thanks, I'm very curious about those "Softie's"..
Though they seems to be round, the DT150 earcups are not.
I looked at the shippingcost to the Netherlandes: $35.55
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #83 of 2,575
any chance of getting the dt150 to sound the way they should do, however using no amp but only an audio interface?
250 ohms seem realy a lot to me, but this would be my first headphone, so i have no comparison to these value.

would be realy helpfull if you could answer this properly, thanks!

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #84 of 2,575
deleted by me...

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #87 of 2,575
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much do these cans cost again and where can we get them? how do they compare with the markl modded denon d2000s?

You can buy them directly from beyerdynamic worldwide, on Ebay, and from Thomann Cyberstore
I never heard the modded D2000. Compared to the stock Denon, the DT150 has a more tunefull and detailed bass, very good mids (no recessed vocals like the D2000), and non-fatiguing highs. Also no sibilance.
I guess the D2000 lets you hear more detail in the upper regions.
The DT150 has a wider soundstage. DT150 is more toe-tapping. DT150 isolates much better than D2000.
D2000 is more comfortable to wear.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #89 of 2,575
As a side note, I happen to stumble upon the following comparison of the DT-250 with HFI-650 by Jan of Meier Audio, made a few years' time back. Apparantly Jan prefer the HFI-650:

"Memory can be deceiving!

I tested a DT250-80 quite a while ago and didn't like it very much at that time. Never listened to it ever since. In my memory it was a rather coloured and muddy sounding headphone.

Just to be fair today I took a new listening and was positively surprised. Not as bad as I thought it was. It shows again, that's unfair to compare equipment from memory.

The DT250-80 and HFI-650 are different headphones.

The HFI-650 conveys more space and more information on the acoustic surroundings. It has a warmer sound and a very wide soundstage (some might even say it's slightly hollow sounding). I find it very indicative that both Harry and Irina (my girlfriend) almost immediately started comparing the HFI-650 to the HD600. Very similar balance and spaciness.

The DT250-80 has a much drier presentation with a smaller soundstage. Instruments are more placed towards the middle. This does not necessarily has to be bad effect, as I feel that this would enable me to enjoy the DT250-80 during long sessions without any crossfeed. I don't feel I can do that with the HFI-650. With this phone left to right panning seems to be more pronounced. (Note: all testing was performed without crossfeed)

The HFI-650 has a deeper and warmer sound. The DT250-80 is somewhat limited in the deepest region and also seems to show some regions of resonance. A Bösendorfer 2.90 grand has plenty of body and weight through the HFI-650, but sound like an upright piano through the DT250-80.

My major problem with the DT250-80 though, is comfort. The paddings are a little bit too small for my big ears. I have to choose. Either the paddings partly rest on top of my ears or they touch at the inside. Not very comfortable and I prefer the HFI-650 for comfort. However, I might well imagine the DT250-80 to be more comfortable than the HFI-650 for those people with smaller pinacles. The paddings of the DT250-80 are softer and less warm. The DT250-80 also has less weight."

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #90 of 2,575
^
1. This thread is about the DT150, an entirely different headphone
2. The DT 250/ 250 ohm is regarded better sounding than the 80 ohm
Thanks anyway, I'm glad I've got the DT150, and not the DT250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back