Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
May 17, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,536 of 2,575
@vmiguel

I mean I connect my headphone via the front audio panel of my cabinet (corsair 500r) to have that 7.1 thingy. It's a 3.5 mm connector obviously. If I plug in my headphones through the rear sided audio panel that 7.1 option doesn't appear.

I wonder whether I should consider the DT 250s in that case.

PS: Attached two screenshots. Just to be absolutely certain that I am coming through properly. I connect my headphone in that socket marked with sky blue, and the realtek audio manager 7.1 option I was speaking of.

Attachments

• InkedPXL_20220517_164221001_LI.jpg
    InkedPXL_20220517_164221001_LI.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-05-18 024926.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-18 024926.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #2,537 of 2,575
In that case I don't know what would be the best aproach. Maybe someone else will answer further.

Good luck!

May 17, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2,538 of 2,575
There's no real 7.1 headphone out there. The "7" in "7.1" implies the existence of seven speakers: a front-left speaker, a mid-left speaker, a back-left speaker, three more on the right, plus a center speaker. Then the ".1" implies one subwoofer. Even in headphones with multiple drivers on each side, they're not arranged front-mid-back. They exist so that each driver can specialize in a particular frequency range. And obviously headphones don't have subwoofers. Where would you put the one subwoofer in 7.1, dangle it in front of your face?

So all of the "simulated 7.1" stuff that various products will offer, all it does is add some signal processing to your audio that just makes it sound different compared to the signal processing being off. More often than not, it's just a bass and treble boost. Because, at the end of the day, all headphones are just left and right. Even the ones that market themselves as being "7.1 surround." Headphones can't be 7.1, they're just stereo. At least any headphone that connects to an ordinary 3.5mm audio jack.

What you could do if you want to preserve the signal processing that you like is you could take the headphone-out from your PC and connect it to the analog-in of whatever amp you get. It's not ideal, but if you like it, you like it, and that's the only way I can think of to do it.

Re: where to get this headphone in America, it looks like they're in stock on Amazon

May 17, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,539 of 2,575
Thanks. I don't think I would be able to do that headphone-out to analog-in thing. There are no amps out there with its own 7.1 simulated audio? I am aware that headphones are only two channels, Lol. But for movies that 7.1 simulation is night and day difference compared to standard stereo. I only turn it on before watching a movie/show, other times it goes back to stereo.

May 17, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #2,540 of 2,575
The Monolith THX 788 DAC/amp comes to mind. A lot of people who want something like simulated surround sound tend to enjoy the DIRAC feature it has.

May 18, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #2,541 of 2,575
I got a pair of dt150s today, and within a few hours of having them I converted them to balanced in order to pump them full of juice from my desktop amp and my first impression.... where on earth did I read that somebody said that these have rolled off bass?? They are so much bassier than I expected, and they seem to hang in there down to 20hz easily, it's a bit dark too in the treble but not in a way that is unenjoyable surprisingly as my main headphone is the akg k712 (aka something a lot brighter). Otherwise, I'm loving the quality of the sound in contrast to the look of these things (the looks of which I personally find really charming). The clamp gave me a headache the first time aI wore it but it has been fine since then, I really enjoy the comfort of the huge pads just enveloping the sides of my head

May 18, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #2,542 of 2,575
I have micropore tape infront of the driver, 1 donut of 3mm open cell headphone pad felt in the cup behind the magnet and Philips Fidelio L2 pads.

The micropore tape didn’t work at all for the DT250, made them distort badly and lose all their bass due to the driver not being able to breathe through the adhesive.

Strangely, it works wonders for the DT150, taming all it’s peaks giving it bigger bass.

Literally no harshness or rough edges whatsoever with this setup.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #2,543 of 2,575
DT100 velour earpads fit properly and impact stock sound very positively.
When you said this, I looked them up and the first hit I got was Thomann Music selling them for $15, and I thought that was totally reasonable and made a mental note to buy them at a later date.

I went to buy them just now, and it turns out that shipping is an additional $30! :astonished:

Any idea where to get them in the US?

Jun 14, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #2,544 of 2,575
When you said this, I looked them up and the first hit I got was Thomann Music selling them for $15, and I thought that was totally reasonable and made a mental note to buy them at a later date.

I went to buy them just now, and it turns out that shipping is an additional $30! :astonished:

Any idea where to get them in the US?
I'm sorry, actually I bought DT100 pads from Thomann (together with other material, so that the shipping costs had a lower impact.

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,545 of 2,575
I'm currently using these with the EDT100 velour pads which already increase the comfort substantially. But I'm getting hotspots on my head whenever I wear them for extended periods. Though it may be my hair idk. So I'm currently looking for a headband upgrade to get rid of the hotspots I get for wearing the headphones for a certain period of time.

I've read and seen two options that piqued my interest : The DT100 headband and the ZMF pilot pad.
The DT100 headband has extra padding while the ZMF pilot pad is wider
I wanna know which option's the most comfortable or alleviates the hotspot issue best
ps: I've heard you can adjust the metal headband by bending it so I'll try that aswell

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,546 of 2,575
I'm currently using these with the EDT100 velour pads which already increase the comfort substantially. But I'm getting hotspots on my head whenever I wear them for extended periods. Though it may be my hair idk. So I'm currently looking for a headband upgrade to get rid of the hotspots I get for wearing the headphones for a certain period of time.

I've read and seen two options that piqued my interest : The DT100 headband and the ZMF pilot pad.
The DT100 headband has extra padding while the ZMF pilot pad is wider
I wanna know which option's the most comfortable or alleviates the hotspot issue best
ps: I've heard you can adjust the metal headband by bending it so I'll try that aswell
I stuck some Dekoni nuggets on mine and now I can wear it all day

Oct 13, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,547 of 2,575
I stuck some Dekoni nuggets on mine and now I can wear it all day
:weary: *sigh* I knew the day I would have to wear the dt150 headband naked would arrive...
unless I can try putting the nuggets over the dt150 headband cover :thinking:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #2,548 of 2,575
I have cable-tied a Pilot Pad to mine and now I can wear them for hours.

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #2,549 of 2,575
Can anyone please help me with wiring? I want to make a balanced cable. From what I understand I have to solder 2 different GND wires on the second set of pins where the black one bridges those two now.
What about left and right channel?
Is it safe to assume red is right and yellow the left?

On another note, should I buy a balanced DT190 cable for this mod?
I have a 2.5 trrrs balanced cable with mmcx connectors but ideally I wouldn't want to damage it plus I would also have to twist the separated wire channels at the top with that. Any ideas?

Many thanks!
Replying as I’m not sure if there’s a way to bookmark a post, gathering information on cable mods for DT150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back