Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #2,266 of 2,575
Isn't this an American amplifier? I don't think I can buy it here. And if I import it it will get very expensive. I know it is a lazy option but what about the fiio ek10? But I love to hear from you guys. Also about a comparison with the philips fidelio x2 and Meze Neo. Can they still compete with the new stuff?

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #2,267 of 2,575
Isn't this an American amplifier? I don't think I can buy it here. And if I import it it will get very expensive. I know it is a lazy option but what about the fiio ek10? But I love to hear from you guys. Also about a comparison with the philips fidelio x2 and Meze Neo. Can they still compete with the new stuff?

The DT 150 is better than the Meze Neo in my opinion. I haven’t ever heard the Fidelio X2. In regards to headphones, newer isn’t necessarily better. Sometimes older is the way to go, especially in terms of price to performance. I’m regards to amping, I’m not really sure what’s available there.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #2,268 of 2,575
I have searched and normally I can buy the o2 amp (is it the one build by a blogger) for around 109€. I would use it for the computer. There is also a version odac that is 240€. Is the sound much improved on the computer? Or is a amplifier enough?

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #2,269 of 2,575
The DT 150 is better than the Meze Neo in my opinion. I haven’t ever heard the Fidelio X2. In regards to headphones, newer isn’t necessarily better. Sometimes older is the way to go, especially in terms of price to performance. I’m regards to amping, I’m not really sure what’s available there.
Could you tell me why you liked the DT150 more then the Meze?

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #2,270 of 2,575
I have searched and normally I can buy the o2 amp (is it the one build by a blogger) for around 109€. I would use it for the computer. There is also a version odac that is 240€. Is the sound much improved on the computer? Or is a amplifier enough?
Honestly, amps/DACs around the 100 euro price range are not that improved from my laptops onboard, especially in regards to smoothness.

While they are more detailed, it seems like they tend to have a certain fatiguing transient response to get that detail.

I think in regards to more natural sound, the Meridian Explorer 2 will be a great option at that price range.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #2,271 of 2,575
try it first using onboard audio, if you're getting a lot of noise from the computer or need more power then consider getting something like the e10k. dt150s aren't exactly detail machines so upgrading your chain isn't as critical compared to other cans

Oct 28, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #2,272 of 2,575
try it first using onboard audio, if you're getting a lot of noise from the computer or need more power then consider getting something like the e10k. dt150s aren't exactly detail machines so upgrading your chain isn't as critical compared to other cans
Completely disagree with this, there is a noticeable difference with DT150 driven from onboard audio or similar compared to proper amp/dac.

Don't buy the E10K, it does not drive the DT150 well. I would compare its quality and power output to macbook pro onboard audio. It's overpriced for what it is.

When I don't have a proper setup available I find myself going to other headphones like the t51p or IEMs, DT150 is just disappointing without a proper chain behind it. Detail and bass just disappear, but in such a way that you wouldn't know they were missing without having also heard them through a proper amp/dac.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #2,273 of 2,575
Completely disagree with this, there is a noticeable difference with DT150 driven from onboard audio or similar compared to proper amp/dac.

Don't buy the E10K, it does not drive the DT150 well. I would compare its quality and power output to macbook pro onboard audio. It's overpriced for what it is.

When I don't have a proper setup available I find myself going to other headphones like the t51p or IEMs, DT150 is just disappointing without a proper chain behind it. Detail and bass just disappear, but in such a way that you wouldn't know they were missing without having also heard them through a proper amp/dac.
well that's false about the e10k, look up measurements if you want. I would link but I don't remember which sites are/aren't banned

not saying a good chain can't have small improvements on the sound, but it doesn't make sense to upgrade before you haven't even heard them. they were designed as broadcast equipment to be run out of almost anything

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,274 of 2,575
Yeah I first have to return a headphone and then I will listen to these.
This is my plan, I would order the DT 150 and the DT-770 80 ohm. I would then compare each other with the Grace Design m902 I have upstairs (very sad that I can't use them for this because of location) and also against my nephew's AIAI TMA2. Then test them on my computer and see what result I get.
I just wanted to inform me in case I love them so that I can already look out for an amp/dac if it is necessary.
But if you open that can of worms then you will run in to much more trouble because there are so many options and no option to listen to them if they are a good combination.
So I would like to hear from the people who has any of them and what is a good synergy that is also not priced to high.
I am also looking at the Schiit Audio Modi3 and Magni. But from what I read they may be to soft for the DT150.

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,275 of 2,575
Could you tell me why you liked the DT150 more then the Meze?

The Meze has a bit of a closed-in effect to the sound the DT 150 doesn't really have. The Meze has a bit too much basThe DT 150 has more prominent and natural mids and a better balanced tuning. It sounds more spacious, has better imaging, and just overall sounds more transparent.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,276 of 2,575
The Meze has a bit of a closed-in effect to the sound the DT 150 doesn't really have. The Meze has a bit too much basThe DT 150 has more prominent and natural mids and a better balanced tuning. It sounds more spacious, has better imaging, and just overall sounds more transparent.
Thank you. I don't know if you still have the DT 150 but could you say if you have a amp and dac and which? And what the synergy is with the DT150

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,277 of 2,575
Thank you. I don't know if you still have the DT 150 but could you say if you have a amp and dac and which? And what the synergy is with the DT150

I don't own the DT 150 anymore, It's been replaced by the DT 480, which is even older and long discontinued but needs modding to even out it's FR response. My many years in this hobby has told me, new does not equal better by any means, headphone driver technology has been mature for decades, don't fall for the marketing that newer is better. There is a big hype train with most anything new sadly. Good synergy with the DT 150, they aren't that hard to drive but definitely benefit from a better amp and dac, the DT 150 will sound good with any decent amp that is quite neutral as the headphones themselves are quite neutral. The Magni 3 will work well. I haven't heard the Modi 3, so not sure how that DAC would work. If you are able, I would try to listen to things before buying to get a hint of what you like. It's also a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #2,278 of 2,575
I don't own the DT 150 anymore, It's been replaced by the DT 480, which is even older and long discontinued but needs modding to even out it's FR response. My many years in this hobby has told me, new does not equal better by any means, headphone driver technology has been mature for decades, don't fall for the marketing that newer is better. There is a big hype train with most anything new sadly. Good synergy with the DT 150, they aren't that hard to drive but definitely benefit from a better amp and dac, the DT 150 will sound good with any decent amp that is quite neutral as the headphones themselves are quite neutral. The Magni 3 will work well. I haven't heard the Modi 3, so not sure how that DAC would work.
Thanks for helping me out and also for the insight.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #2,279 of 2,575
Thanks for helping me out and also for the insight.

The drivers have also likely been updated with newer versions of it as manufacturing has likely changed some. I've never heard an old DT 150(they have different pads), so I'm not sure if there is much difference between the ones made in the 80's and 90's and today.

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2,280 of 2,575
I dont know about the Neo but at least the Classic 99 are way better than DT150 in my opinion.

I still own the dt, classics and X2. I'd say enjoy the Classics and X2 almost as much. If I can use open phones (environment wise), I usually go for X2.

The dt's have been collecting dust for quite a while now. I used to use them at work but lately I've been using Blue Mofi's instead.

All in all I'd say the Classic 99's are my all time favourite phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back