Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Sep 29, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #2,221 of 2,575
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll have to think about it for a while.

I guess I'd just like to get some new headphones to toy with but if they are pretty much something I already have, I really have to think twice. If they are better than the Momentums it's quite good already. I think my current closed headphones are in this order (for me personally): AH-D2000 < Momentum < 99 Classic. And I prefer the 99 Classics to Momentums with a quite large margin.

Actually the look of the DT-150 is maybe the biggest reason I'm interested in them :). Also that's why I would like to see pic of them with the Shure velour pads because I think these could be phones I'd use for quite extended periods at work or at home.

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,222 of 2,575
Actually the look of the DT-150 is maybe the biggest reason I'm interested in them :). Also that's why I would like to see pic of them with the Shure velour pads because I think these could be phones I'd use for quite extended periods at work or at home.
I have Shure srh1440 velours, which I believe are same pads that srh1840 uses, but I couldn't get them to fit on DT150 as they're a bit small. However I think they can be fitted, but it's really tight fit which I couldn't do. I can confirm that those pads are super comfy. I'd also like to see photo with them installed on DT150.

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #2,223 of 2,575
Beyerdynamic DT150 with Shure 1840 Earpads

File_000 (8).jpeg

WARNING 1: You need some basic manual ability to get those pads fit on the dt150. It's not hard or complicated by any means, but there is a change to broke the pads with wrong actions!
When they fit well never put them off, ENJOY!

WARNING 2: Bass-heads will be not pleased with those pads. The bass is there, around same quantity of the Sennheiser HD600 but less than stock DT150 pleather pads. To me it's an improvements because the headphone sounds amazingly natural, but I can understand they'll not be everyone taste. Anyway, if you are an hardcore fan of this headphone, I believe it's for the excellent midrange, and you'll love those pads!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #2,224 of 2,575
Thanks for the pic! Looks good. I really have to ponder about getting these phones for a while. Mostly if it makes any sense with my current headphones.

Oh, and actually I don't really have a great headphone at the moment. At work I use Fiio E10 (Olympus). Would that be ok with the DT-150s?

At home I have a stereo amp (NAD C355BEE) which I have heard people say that has a decent headphone amp for a normal integrated amp. What do you think, would the DT-150s be ok with it? At least Sennheiser HD600 used to sound quite ok with it but I sold them because I enjoyed my X2 a tiny bit more (and I needed the money). Thinking about it now, I wouldn't have sold them :)

Edit: At home I might use them from the amp or I might actually try using them straight from the PC. Is that completely out of question?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,225 of 2,575
@Uninen: You'll be quite fine with the Fiio E10. I use my DT150 with Audioquest Dragonfly RED that is not a monster of power. I have also some better amps at home and it performs a bit better. I'll put the dt150 on the same level of my HD600.

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,228 of 2,575
In my mind this is the headphone to beat when it comes to sounding like high-end speakers within a reasonable price. Alpha dog pads fit perfectly and add a nice bass boost and extra clarity, night and day difference to the stock pleather

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,229 of 2,575
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the recent versions of MorphIt VST have a built in correction EQ preset for the DT150.
The demo version doesn't save presets, but you're 3 clicks away to enable correction for DT150 so it's not much of a hassle. Works OK in Foobar2000.

I tried it and quite like the result, to describe it shortly there is treble added and mid-bass reduced (so low-bass is better heard).
No dramatic differences here, but IMO worth a try!

There are also profiles to simulate other headphones, though nothing I tried was particularly interesting.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,230 of 2,575
Hi guys,

A couple of quick questions if I may please?

1) How are these regarded now against the current competition? I've started reading this thread (I'm up to page 40 and it's seems an amazing musical headphone, but that's going back to 2014)

2) I currently have the FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier, which serves my low impedance headphones very well (800mW into 32ohms) but it drops drastically to 130mW into 300ohms, so I'm considering getting a desktop amp, say the Magni 3, that hits 430mW into 300ohms. Is this a good idea, or am I reading the specs wrong?

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #2,231 of 2,575
Hi guys,

A couple of quick questions if I may please?

1) How are these regarded now against the current competition? I've started reading this thread (I'm up to page 40 and it's seems an amazing musical headphone, but that's going back to 2014)

2) I currently have the FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier, which serves my low impedance headphones very well (800mW into 32ohms) but it drops drastically to 130mW into 300ohms, so I'm considering getting a desktop amp, say the Magni 3, that hits 430mW into 300ohms. Is this a good idea, or am I reading the specs wrong?

For their price range, the DT 150 is very hard to beat, it may be the absolute best closed-back in it's price bracket and it honestly I like it more than most open-backs in it's price range. Nothing has changed, a lot of the newer headphones are aiming for higher price brackets and the high quality options $200-300 price bracket haven't really changed. DT Beyers, the HD 600/650/6XX, and select AKGs(K712 for example) are still good. There are some newer good headphones in this price bracket, but not as many as you would think. Oh you live in the UK, sorry was thinking the US market, but the DT 150 is an even better deal in Europe.

The FiiO A5 will power them, though the Magni 3 will sound better and have more power.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,232 of 2,575
For their price range, the DT 150 is very hard to beat, it may be the absolute best closed-back in it's price bracket and it honestly I like it more than most open-backs in it's price range. Nothing has changed, a lot of the newer headphones are aiming for higher price brackets and the high quality options $200-300 price bracket haven't really changed. DT Beyers, the HD 600/650/6XX, and select AKGs(K712, K612) are still good. There are some newer good headphones in this price bracket, but not as many as you would think. Oh you live in the UK, sorry was thinking the US market, but the DT 150 is an even better deal in Europe.

The FiiO A5 will power them, though the Magni 3 will sound better and have more power.

Excellent thanks :)

I don't see any other headphones especially in the price bracket of the DT150's that have as much high praise, so I think I'll grab me a set :dt880smile:

Do you know how the Magni 3 deals with IEMs? I'm using the Trinity Audio Icarus III's.

I assume there are no better amps at the price the Magni 3 is being sold for?

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,233 of 2,575
Excellent thanks :)

I don't see any other headphones especially in the price bracket of the DT150's that have as much high praise, so I think I'll grab me a set :dt880smile:

Do you know how the Magni 3 deals with IEMs? I'm using the Trinity Audio Icarus III's.

I assume there are no better amps at the price the Magni 3 is being sold for?

Honestly outside another Beyer I don't think so and the DT 150 has one of the most pleasing tunings of the Beyers imho. I'm used to the DT 150 costing slightly below the HD 600/650 but honestly I think the DT 150 competes with the Senns, in some ways better and some ways worse.

I don't use IEMs but there isn't any noise-floor I can hear on the Magni 3 even on lower impedance headphones, so it should be good.

To be honest, I'll have to agree, having the Magni 3, I can say it's excellent sounding.

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #2,234 of 2,575
Will a 3.5mm to RCA cable still retain the full sound quality from my Shanling M2s DAP to the Magni 3?

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #2,235 of 2,575
Honestly outside another Beyer I don't think so and the DT 150 has one of the most pleasing tunings of the Beyers imho. I'm used to the DT 150 costing slightly below the HD 600/650 but honestly I think the DT 150 competes with the Senns, in some ways better and some ways worse..

In Europe the DT 150 are quite the deal in my opinion. As you can get them for around 130€ (150$) and Sennheiser HD600 are around 320€ (360$)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back