Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Apr 11, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,861 of 2,576
My latest DT150s bought from Amazon had exactly this box and packaging. DON'T WORRY. My previous pairs were warehouse deals so came unboxed.

This headphone doesn't need fancy packaging inflating its price nor does it need any storage case as the 'Beyer Tank' is almost literally bullet proof ! They are simply a high quality tool  

Every single penny (9600 in my case) is spent on the sound and build ensuring you have potentially a lifetime of music pleasure. The fact that they are still crafted in Germany makes Beyerdynamic so different to almost any other manufacturer (Grado are similarly principled in some ways but offer nothing like the value or build quality)They are the best in the business IMO
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #1,862 of 2,576
Grado lol... had a bit of an incident where I picked one up at the shop and it literally fall apart right after complaining about the flimsy design. Awkward. Their aesthetics are good, but there's plenty they can improve in the designs. That said, they do have pretty good sound. Just wish they pay a bit more attention to durability in their design.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #1,863 of 2,576
  Grado lol... had a bit of an incident where I picked one up at the shop and it literally fall apart right after complaining about the flimsy design. Awkward. Their aesthetics are good, but there's plenty they can improve in the designs. That said, they do have pretty good sound. Just wish they pay a bit more attention to durability in their design.

As i said they are not Beyer but they are another no frills sound quality first company( and still made in their country of origin), I suppose and I cannot think of another. Over priced (at least in Europe) and under engineered in comparison - yes, I agree. Beyer RULES

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,864 of 2,576
my DT150 came in red wood box with  "Beterdynamic DT150"   written in gold.
inside there was black silk with rose leaves on top all over the headphones...
and a letter , welcoming me to Happy Owners of beyerdynamic dt150 with a HUGE lipstick mark at the end of a letter ...
letter smelled like a french perfume and paper was of a high quality too ...

hmmm , weird yours came in that cheap box .....

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,865 of 2,576
DT150s are sounding better and better everyday I listen to them, simply majestic sound! Seems like DT150 pair very, very fine with TAGA-Harmony THDA-500T. So detailed and smooth, great soundstage and 3D imaging and bass is punchy and clear, altogether very musical and pleasant. Midrange is so enjoyable, especially vocals. DT150s are bloody brilliant, just now I'm TRULY starting to understand. They indeed are.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,867 of 2,576

Better than your Shure SRH1440?

I'd say at least on par, Shure's are still a bit more refined and detailed, but DT150s have that addictive, musical sound signature and they're better on genre's where SRH1440 could be little harsh (like agressive metal). Before I got TAGA-Harmony, DT150 could not surpass SRH1440 ever, I always wanted to return to Shure's because DT150 sounded somewhat muddy and lacked just something. Now I can say that I often choose DT150 over Shures. I bought Hifiman HE-400 used from ebay and I'll get them probably this week, very excited to try planar sound.

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,870 of 2,576
  DT100 headband cushion added to DT150: comfort increased. DT150s are actually very comfortable with angled DT100 velour pads and DT100 head cushion, and decreased clamping force.

Any place to buy the velour pads in the US or someplace without a huge shipping charge to the US?

EDIT:  Where would you guys EQ the bass down?  They are just a tad bassy to me with some of my music.

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,871 of 2,576

Any place to buy the velour pads in the US or someplace without a huge shipping charge to the US?

EDIT:  Where would you guys EQ the bass down?  They are just a tad bassy to me with some of my music.

Can't help with pads, I bought mine from ebay, but availability seems quite bad indeed, pity. Velour pads do reduce bass a bit if I remember correctly making it maybe more refined aswell. I also felt back then that bass was bit too loud but now I think it's just right.

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #1,872 of 2,576
just be patient with mid bass bloom.... it will get clean and tight, after 300 hours ....

i am siting right now with hifiman he560 and dt150, a few cold beers , and going thru my music library.  he560 is a superior headphone in every way , and it should be...no surprise there.

But...

I don't know how its for you, but for me , after i hear a higher end amp or dac or speakers , or a headphone ... i can't go back to lower end models and enjoy them , all of a sudden low end model becomes boring and lifeless, after hearing a higher end model.  And even thou i enjoyed the lower end model a few days ago , now after hearing a higher end model , i can't enjoy it anymore .
Somehow memory of a "better sound"  is inprinted in my head, and you simply can't go back ...

Well, thats not the case with dt150. 
DT150 is the only headphone i want to hear again after listening to much higher end phones like hd800 , t5p and he560.

I do hear difference in sound quality and all the tech specs ... but it doesn't make dt150 boring to my ears, i can enjoy them right after i was listening to hifiman he560. 
And let me tell you he560 is awesome!  My new reference...

DT150 is full of surprises, definitely a classic!

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,874 of 2,576
  just be patient with mid bass bloom.... it will get clean and tight, after 300 hours ....

i am siting right now with hifiman he560 and dt150, a few cold beers , and going thru my music library.  he560 is a superior headphone in every way , and it should be...no surprise there.

But...

I don't know how its for you, but for me , after i hear a higher end amp or dac or speakers , or a headphone ... i can't go back to lower end models and enjoy them , all of a sudden low end model becomes boring and lifeless, after hearing a higher end model.  And even thou i enjoyed the lower end model a few days ago , now after hearing a higher end model , i can't enjoy it anymore .
Somehow memory of a "better sound"  is inprinted in my head, and you simply can't go back ...

Well, thats not the case with dt150. 
DT150 is the only headphone i want to hear again after listening to much higher end phones like hd800 , t5p and he560.

I do hear difference in sound quality and all the tech specs ... but it doesn't make dt150 boring to my ears, i can enjoy them right after i was listening to hifiman he560. 
And let me tell you he560 is awesome!  My new reference...

DT150 is full of surprises, definitely a classic!

I'm not one to think burn in will change a frequency response after dozens of hours of listening.  I don't have the equipment to measure the headphones myself, was just wondering what frequency bands to EQ down a bit to get rid of the bass bloom.  Other than that, I am really enjoying them, best closed headphones I've owned.  I've got a Vibro coming in soon that I will be able to compare these against.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #1,875 of 2,576
  I've seen some recabling pics of DT150, I'm wondering how does sound improve, and how much? I've always been a bit sceptical about recabling but now I have warmed for idea of recabling my DT150s myself. I've read that recabling does improve sound, but I guess it depends more or less on setup. Anyway if it's ideal, what kind of cable would you suggest? I'm DIYer so soldering and stuff are well in hand.

I popped out the crazy 6-pole socket and fitted a 3.5mm TRRS jack to the headphones bedded in with Sugru putty.

Gives you the choice of different SE or balanced cabling options. 

I'm using a custom cable I already had that was made for a pair of PM3s. For a good general purpose cable I'd suggest Canare L-4E5C.

Can't believe how great these are for the price. Nothing proves the law of diminishing returns so well as the DT-150 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back