Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
May 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,891 of 2,575
I am wondering whether anyone will do a proper detailed comparison between the DT150 and some of the 'high end' closed headphones out there. I'm thinking the Fostex TH series and various T50RP based specials, the old Denon D5000/ 7000, Mcintosh MHP1000, Beyers own T5P and DT1770, closed back Audezes such as the Sine and also the currently popular Oppo PM3 and Meze 99.(EDIT also the Final Audio products which I am quite attracted to) I'm sure there are others. I think the owners or potential owners of these would write off the DT150 as being to ugly or cheap to be any good

Maybe I lack the imagination, experience or the superhuman hearing but I just can't imagine a headphone being significantly better than the Beyer. They just sound perfect to me. i have never found a fault with them, nothing that doesn't sound just right. I think they would do well in any comparison; we British like to support the plucky underdog !

The only higher end closed headphone I've had is my Focal Spirit Classics. They are close in terms of wonderful tone and balance, 'naturalness', but fall well short in soundstage and airiness.

Any thoughts ? I'd like to know what I'm missing !

May 9, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,892 of 2,575
I am wondering whether anyone will do a proper detailed comparison between the DT150 and some of the 'high end' closed headphones out there. I'm thinking the Fostex TH series and various T50RP based specials, the old Denon D5000/ 7000, Mcintosh MHP1000, Beyers own T5P and DT1770, closed back Audezes such as the Sine and also the currently popular Oppo PM3 and Meze 99. I'm sure there are others. I think the owners or potential owners of these would write off the DT150 as being to ugly or cheap to be any good

Maybe I lack the imagination, experience or the superhuman hearing but I just can't imagine a headphone being significantly better than the Beyer. They just sound perfect to me. i have never found a fault with them, nothing that doesn't sound just right. I think they would do well in any comparison; we British like to support the plucky underdog !

The only higher end closed headphone I've had is my Focal Spirit Classics. They are close in terms of wonderful tone and balance, 'naturalness', but fall well short in soundstage and airiness.

I'll be receiving my Vibro mk2 soon. I can do a comparison between the two after some time with them.

May 9, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,893 of 2,575
  I am wondering whether anyone will do a proper detailed comparison between the DT150 and some of the 'high end' closed headphones out there. I'm thinking the Fostex TH series and various T50RP based specials, the old Denon D5000/ 7000, Mcintosh MHP1000, Beyers own T5P and DT1770, closed back Audezes such as the Sine and also the currently popular Oppo PM3 and Meze 99.(EDIT also the Final Audio products which I am quite attracted to) I'm sure there are others. I think the owners or potential owners of these would write off the DT150 as being to ugly or cheap to be any good

I had AudioQuest Nighthawks and was able to compare them to DT 150, the DT150 hold their own against them.
 DT150 has more linear tonality and more neutral and natural tone to them, the NH have more power in the low end and more upper treble after 10 khz, imaging of DT150 is good but NH has crazy precise imaging, mids on DT150 are better, the NH has very thick lower mids and somewhat drown upper mids wich makes the vocals not tonaly correct.
NH has more sub bass and better bass extension, but the bass on DT150 is faster and more tight than the NH.
Overall the NH is colored dramatic and powerfull headphones that is a pleasurable experience, but DT150 is more neutral and natural sounding headphones for me.

May 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,894 of 2,575
   Thanks for suggestions, actually TAGA Harmony THDA-500T is USB DAC/headphone amp and it also has normal aux in option. It also has pre amp output for active speakers or amp. I'm probably going to hifi-store in next week to test listen it with my phones.
It sure does, cost is 349 € in store.

I wondered whether you have any experience of TAGA's other DAC/amps; the cheaper THA200 and THDA200T

I'm interested as TAGA's integrated tube amps and their CD Receiver tube mini system are starting to get rave reviews in HiFi publications.

TAGA seem to offer great value but they get virtually no mention on here and availability seems limited outside Germany and Poland. A company called  Zepher Audio have started importing some of their products into the UK but not the headphone amps.

May 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,895 of 2,575
  I wondered whether you have any experience of TAGA's other DAC/amps; the cheaper THA200 and THDA200T

I'm interested as TAGA's integrated tube amps and their CD Receiver tube mini system are starting to get rave reviews in HiFi publications.

TAGA seem to offer great value but they get virtually no mention on here and availability seems limited outside Germany and Poland. A company called  Zepher Audio have started importing some of their products into the UK but not the headphone amps.

I don't have experience of other TAGA's products, but I remember that seller on hifi store, when I was buying my THDA-500T model, said that THDA-200T is pretty much same hardware and specs but on smaller size due external power supply whereas THDA-500T has internal power supply. And also, THDA-200T doesn't have 3.5V stereo preamp output to connect speaker system whereas THDA-500T does have that feature. I didn't test listen THDA-200T though, but I assume it sounds pretty similiar to THDA-500T as specs are very same. I wanted THDA-500T especially for preamp output feature, because I like to listen music from speakers now and then. Also it feels more solid gear for desktop system because of its tank-like and quite handsome look. Can't comment anything about THA200.

TAGA seem to be indeed great value, I wasn't familiar with brand at all before I went to local hifi store.

May 13, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #1,896 of 2,575
  I don't have experience of other TAGA's products, but I remember that seller on hifi store, when I was buying my THDA-500T model, said that THDA-200T is pretty much same hardware and specs but on smaller size due external power supply whereas THDA-500T has internal power supply. And also, THDA-200T doesn't have 3.5V stereo preamp output to connect speaker system whereas THDA-500T does have that feature. I didn't test listen THDA-200T though, but I assume it sounds pretty similiar to THDA-500T as specs are very same. I wanted THDA-500T especially for preamp output feature, because I like to listen music from speakers now and then. Also it feels more solid gear for desktop system because of its tank-like and quite handsome look. Can't comment anything about THA200.

TAGA seem to be indeed great value, I wasn't familiar with brand at all before I went to local hifi store.

Thanks very much for the great reply

The lack of pre-amp output would't bother me. I too like to listen via speakers when I can, which is rarely, but I use my CDs as the source then or sometimes bluetooth streaming (don't laugh my aptX Arcam miniBlink DAC sounds really good!) from my phone not my computer.

I will certainly think about the (EDIT) THDA-200T for the future

May 13, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,897 of 2,575
  Thanks very much for the great reply

The lack of pre-amp output would't bother me. I too like to listen via speakers when I can, which is rarely, but I use my CDs as the source then or sometimes bluetooth streaming (don't laugh my aptX Arcam miniBlink DAC sounds really good!) from my phone not my computer.

I will certainly think about the TDA200T for the future

Sounds good, THDA200T is probably very pleasant sounding as THDA500T is aswell. Both have Aux IN input aswell, and I keep my Technics SL-PG490 CD player on Aux IN input. It's great because I can listen great CD quality through TAGA with headphones and aswell listen through speaker system, and it works very well because I get analog volume control pot instead of digital volume control on my 2.1 speaker system.

May 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,898 of 2,575
Have you ever wanted DT150 in a portable format, that will simply sound good straight of your iPad or iPhone , without any amp dac hustle... And to pay for it 5$ ?

Get VE Monk plus, it's a twin of dt150!!! Same sonic character, and it's so refreshing to get a hifi sound for a price of bouttle of beer )

May 13, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,899 of 2,575
Have you ever wanted DT150 in a portable format, that will simply sound good straight of your iPad or iPhone , without any amp dac hustle... And to pay for it 5$ ?

Get VE Monk plus, it's a twin of dt150!!! Same sonic character, and it's so refreshing to get a hifi sound for a price of bouttle of beer )

Cann they really be that good ? Forgive me if I'm a bit sceptical regarding the hype these things are attracting.

I'm willing to try them as I think earbuds can sound good and are under appreciated. I've had  various Sennheiser (including the 'ultimate ear bud' the MX980), AKGs and my current Atomic Floiyd Airjax (which can be the most uncomfotable thing you put anywhere near your ears if worn incorrectly: sheer torture). None come anywhere close to the DT150.  

However where on earth can you actually buy this things in the UK/Europe??

May 13, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,900 of 2,575

Agreed! VE Monk plus is real gem! So open, mellow, detailed, clear and effortless sound signature. Sounds like full sized headphones, and indeed like dt150, pocket edition!
Btw, do you happen to know budget IEMs that would share Monk-like pleasant effortless sound? I feel IEMs that I liked before has turned to be more harsh when I got used to Monks warmer signature.

May 13, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,902 of 2,575
  Cann they really be that good ? Forgive me if I'm a bit sceptical regarding the hype these things are attracting.

I'm willing to try them as I think earbuds can sound good and are under appreciated. I've had  various Sennheiser (including the 'ultimate ear bud' the MX980), AKGs and my current Atomic Floiyd Airjax (which can be the most uncomfotable thing you put anywhere near your ears if worn incorrectly: sheer torture). None come anywhere close to the DT150.  

However where on earth can you actually buy this things in the UK/Europe??

Venture Electronics only offical store is on Aliexpress and you can order Monks from there.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-MONK-earbud-earphone/32417311324.html

Monks was reason I joined to Aliexpress and ordering was easy. Delivery took its time to Finland, but they arrived safely. I was also a bit sceptical after all the praise I had read, but after I've listened to Monk plus, I don't wonder that praising at all. Monks are real deal and definitely best bargain you'll ever find on headphone market!

May 13, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,903 of 2,575
Monk plus can be bought at AliExpress , 15-45 days shipping.  It took 13 days for me to get them from China to Sweden.    Monk is dirt cheap , and while it is so , its best to grab a few pairs , its good to have an extra pair laying around...

Yes , i understand skepticism :)   
Monk is like military gear - simple design, solid build , hifi sound quality that could be found in in products way beyond its price category. To get to the sound of Monk you have to spend at least 100€ , and in that price category IEMS won't sound better than 5$ Monk , the only thing 100€ IEM will have on Monk is isolation and because of isolation  you will get other type of bass and dynamics ...but it will be more like  " Night Club " type of sound , Monk is more like a cool Jazz/Blues  club , where stage is close to your table , and you sit there with a few beers , very close to singer , and every instrument is near ...

different atmosphere ...

Monk is not high end ... and its sure not perfect  , but its very good , not only for its price ... but in general , its musical simple and tonality is very very close to DT150 , same lush mellow effortless rich type of sound , a little on the dark side but treble is there ...

I highly recommend  Monk plus!

The only IEM that kind of remind me of DT150 is Shure SE535 but its not cheap ...
Shure SE215 is something like DT150 , same huge mids , dark lush sound , lots of mid bass and sub bass  , but treble is a little rolled off...  se215 has awesome build quality for its price and probably best buy  , for the money you get  A LOT , both in terms of sound and build quality ....

May 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,904 of 2,575
  The only IEM that kind of remind me of DT150 is Shure SE535 but its not cheap ...
Shure SE215 is something like DT150 , same huge mids , dark lush sound , lots of mid bass and sub bass  , but treble is a little rolled off...  se215 has awesome build quality for its price and probably best buy  , for the money you get  A LOT , both in terms of sound and build quality ....

Thanks for recommendation, I'll keep Shures in mind. I've been spending lately pretty much on audio gear so maybe I should give my wallet a rest for a while.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back