Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Apr 25, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #1,876 of 2,575
Well I'm selling my modded DT-150 in favor of another closed modded headphone that I like about 8x better (feel free to read about it in my signature).

I had done several mods to my DT-150 including custom internal foam mod for faster / more leveled out bass, lower density foam replacement for increased treble, added foam to the earpads for extra comfort / soundstage, and added foam on the headband for increased comfort. If you're interested, the listing is here

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,877 of 2,575
Wow. Any headphone that is '8 x' better than the DT150 must be taken seriously.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,879 of 2,575
Hello guys, I fail to see the reason for the sarcastic and borderlining cyber-bullying comments above. I was only stating that I feel I've found another closed headphone that is 8x better than the Beyerdynamic DT-150. These are only my opinions which are entirely subjective and personal. And for me, I have found a truly special relic of a headphone that vastly outclasses the DT-150 in every way, which just so happens to be the world's only mod called the SoundMagic HP-150 Tru-Fi mod. Feel free to read a more in-depth comparison I had done between the DT-150 and 4 other headphones recently including it and the HD-650 etc., which you may find interesting here.

Yes I was serious and had not indicated otherwise. And no... this  was my April fools day joke. Even the unmodded DT-150 has always been extremely sub-par at best to me with rolled off highs, swampy bass, etc. for me (though I'm not discounting the possibility of having a defective pair).  Anyway the above was posted just in case anybody is interested in my modded DT-150, as I'm on my way out of this thread due to an apparent contrast in sound preferences.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,880 of 2,575
  Hello guys, I fail to see the reason for the sarcastic and borderlining cyber-bullying comments above. I was only stating that I feel I've found another closed headphone that is 8x better than the Beyerdynamic DT-150. These are only my opinions which are entirely subjective and personal. And for me, I have found a truly special relic of a headphone that vastly outclasses the DT-150 in every way, which just so happens to be the world's only mod called the SoundMagic HP-150 Tru-Fi mod. Feel free to read a more in-depth comparison I had done between the DT-150 and 4 other headphones recently including it and the HD-650 etc., which you may find interesting here.

Yes I was serious and had not indicated otherwise. And no... this  was my April fools day joke. Even the unmodded DT-150 has always been extremely sub-par at best to me with rolled off highs, swampy bass, etc. for me (though I'm not discounting the possibility of having a defective pair).  Anyway the above was posted just in case anybody is interested in my modded DT-150, as I'm on my way out of this thread due to an apparent contrast in sound preferences.

A lot of people on this forum seem to be more of the logical and literal types, and don't take well to hyperbole.

I think it's partly their nature, and because a lot of people have been mislead in the past by overly excited claims by certain members who claimed such and such gear is the epitome of greatness, only to be disappointed when they get a chance to hear it for themselves.

I think people around here just want realistic claims and comparisons.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #1,882 of 2,575
Eight times better, eh?

Look through the full part of the glass, its still better than saying 80x
wink_face.gif

(The comparative post reminded me once again how relative and individual the comparisons are in headfi! 8 times? what is it?... No need to argue... until we hear a modded HP100)

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #1,883 of 2,575
The funny the thing is I asked the guy behind the mods and the mods he uses are pretty common mods you would use on headphones in general. 

Though I do feel like stock hp-150 (hp-100 with better cable nad build) does sound a bit better than the dt-150, both have a metallic treble/upper mids, but the hp-150 is less noticeable, both have slightly muddy bass compared to cans like the hd 6xx, but the hp-150 is punchier, more extended and more fun sounding.  The beyer has less recessed mids though making the tone less bright sounding and more upfront vocals but the hallish colouration is a detriment the soundmagic does not have. Stage and imaging is about the same on both which is very good for the price and type of headphone.

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,885 of 2,575
Got my dt 100 headband cushion and velours today fom thomann. The cushion is better than the dt150 comfort wise, much thicker. only having 2 clip points isnt as good but they still do the job.
The Velours are more comfotable for me, they also reduce the mid bass hump and everything below which is fine by my tastes, the foam insert covers are a lot thicker than the old ones and slightly touch my ear so i just wont bother with them, i think soundstage is improved or this just may be the extra treble from no foam. very happy with my "upgrades"

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #1,886 of 2,575
Got my dt 100 headband cushion and velours today fom thomann. The cushion is better than the dt150 comfort wise, much thicker. only having 2 clip points isnt as good but they still do the job.
The Velours are more comfotable for me, they also reduce the mid bass hump and everything below which is fine by my tastes, the foam insert covers are a lot thicker than the old ones and slightly touch my ear so i just wont bother with them, i think soundstage is improved or this just may be the extra treble from no foam. very happy with my "upgrades"

I used the ZMF pilot pad for the headband which is super comfy. I'm having troubles finding a set of velour earpads though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back