Jul 22, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,396 of 2,575
What about Tom Waits?!? the master himself

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,398 of 2,575

happy_face1.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Here we go Guys a new thread called:

A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775356/a-bit-of-music-and-a-bit-of-fun

I am hoping for some good music and different music from all parts of the world in any language.

No rules - just music, videos and a bit of fun and anything you want to share with us (legally of course).
mad.gif
angry_face.gif

Cheers
beerchug.gif
  Light-Man

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,399 of 2,575
Has anyone ever listened to the AKG K501 to compare to these? I realize the low end is probably very different, as is the soundstage I'd imagine, but a lot of people praise them for vocals and acoustic instruments, even above the HD600, for classical especially. Some say the K501 has no low end, but then, they apparently do mids and highs better than the K7XX series according to other reviews.

Although I listen to a ton of genres, I primarily focus on classical, world, folk, blues, jazz, reggae, with rock and hip-hop comprising a very small amount of my collection - after all, we have the radio :wink:

P.S., from this post, you guys probably think I'm at least two decades behind the times. But, eh, I'll let others experiment with 'newfangled' gadget headphones and in 10 years, I'll check in to see which remain classic :wink:

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,400 of 2,575
  Has anyone ever listened to the AKG K501 to compare to these? I realize the low end is probably very different, as is the soundstage I'd imagine, but a lot of people praise them for vocals and acoustic instruments, even above the HD600, for classical especially. Some say the K501 has no low end, but then, they apparently do mids and highs better than the K7XX series according to other reviews.

Although I listen to a ton of genres, I primarily focus on classical, world, folk, blues, jazz, reggae, with rock and hip-hop comprising a very small amount of my collection - after all, we have the radio :wink:

P.S., from this post, you guys probably think I'm at least two decades behind the times. But, eh, I'll let others experiment with 'newfangled' gadget headphones and in 10 years, I'll check in to see which remain classic :wink:

K501 will be similar to a HD600 in response but way better, those Senns are no match, K501 beats them in timbre accuracy, imaging and overall fidelity. Old AKGs had a very different Mid-Range from current AKGs, they were best in the business.

I find my DT150 particularly musically withdrawn compared to those AKGs.  

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,401 of 2,575
Well, I do like my DT150s, but I am looking for something that could compliment them for larger-scale instrumental works and with recordings that I find a bit sluggish and thick at times with the DT150s. It sounds like the K501s are really coherent in the mids and great with vocal and classical stuff. Actually, tonally, I like the DT150s, but sometimes I feel the bass boost is unnecessary for certain types of music and would like something to compliment them that is a bit more transparent in the mid-bass range. 

I'm looking forward to doing a direct comparison, as it looks like I found a pair through the head-fi market.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,403 of 2,575
  Well, I do like my DT150s, but I am looking for something that could compliment them for larger-scale instrumental works and with recordings that I find a bit sluggish and thick at times with the DT150s. It sounds like the K501s are really coherent in the mids and great with vocal and classical stuff. Actually, tonally, I like the DT150s, but sometimes I feel the bass boost is unnecessary for certain types of music and would like something to compliment them that is a bit more transparent in the mid-bass range. 

I'm looking forward to doing a direct comparison, as it looks like I found a pair through the head-fi market.

And I'm looking forward to reading your comparisons. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #1,404 of 2,575
@jdpark 

have you heard beyerdynamic t5p ? it puts many headphones to shame when it comes to transparency , so refine, reviling headphone while detailed and fast paced. Smooth rich tonality.

I recommend you audition t5p if you have a chance!

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,405 of 2,575
  Sort of, they are alcantara. Makes the mids very full and quite forward(moreso than the HD 650) but in a pleasant way without the oddities, abrasiveness, and brashness that can come with more forward a mids, rather they are very musical and beautiful mids and it sounds spacious with good imaging. They become darker and warmer for sure.The slight metallic tinge that can be found at times in the treble on the stock pads is gone. Not to mention the comfort is outstanding. 

Thank you for mentioning them. I've been wanting better pads for them for a while, the stuffiness of the stock pads were getting on my nerves. I'm happy with their sound. I thought the HD 650 was musical and lush, but man with these pads, the DT 150 takes the lush musicality to the next level. Finally the treble is exactly to my tastes as well on the DT 150. I'm sick of dealing with the metallic-tinged treble on so many headphones. 

This mirrors what I'm hearing with the SRH1540 Alcantara pads on my DT150. Compared to the Mr Speakers Dog pads: better handling of acoustic instruments because of a more natural tone, fuller mids, easier to pick up (treble) details, and of course a lot more comfort. Bass has more or less the same quality and quantitiy, maybe a bit 'fatter', still fast enough.
Of all the pads I tried, these Shure pads are IMO the best match for the DT150. Highly recommended.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,406 of 2,575
Gents, regarding those Shure pads. What are you listening the headphones with? How can you not hear overall sound degradation with those pads??!! I do NOT recommend using the Shure pads on DT150. It's bad, bad, bad!

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,407 of 2,575
Gents, regarding those Shure pads. What are you listening the headphones with? How can you not hear overall sound degradation with those pads??!! I do NOT recommend using the Shure pads on DT150. It's bad, bad, bad!

Depends on the system. I use the Lyr 2(various tubes) with the HRT Music Streamer HD connected to the Schiit Wyrd. Which pads sound the best depends on what tubes I'm using and once I start tinkering with dampening on the DT 150 things vary even more pad wise.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,408 of 2,575
This is how my DT 150 is damped currently, some molding clay and dampening caps from the DT 440. Tightens up the sound quite a bit and the slight closed-back echo the DT 150 has is completely gone. The Shure SRH-1540 pads sounds better with this mod, it's a bit too cold sounding otherwise. Still tinkering with the dampening.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,409 of 2,575
Actually one does not have to change the headphone configuration if one wants to change the sound. Here's my recent example of me testing two DAC chips with DT150 and the difference to the sound they make: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766310/new-ibasso-portable-amp-dac-ibasso-d14-bushmaster/135#post_11813455. Same example can be applied to an amplifier configuration.

I'd rather leave these headphones intact as their frequency curve does not require any amendments. By changing the pads and doing other tricks with these headphones, it is most likely that you are are actually fixing the DAC/Amp issues and drawbacks. DT150 have almost flat curve along all frequency range. I don't believe it's their fault they don't sound good enough to someone.

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #1,410 of 2,575
I disagree, IMO the dt 150 is on the level of mid fi's best (which is already high praise considering it's price), and I think we all agree it's not the end all be all in sq. So regardless of how well optimized the dac and amp setup is, there will still be some shortcomings, Hence modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back