Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Mar 13, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #856 of 2,575
pads seal well imo, could probably be an issue with the synergy with the amp/dac or not adapting to the sound signature.  I'll give this another few weeks and see how it goes :)  thanks.

That's good, the bass can seem different at first, but it is quite textured once you grasp it's sound fully, it could simply have more bass impact than you're used to, the bass has a shocking sense of realism and presence. It can be a variety of factors. At least the mids sound great to you. It took me a couple weeks to fully appreciate the phone, though I did recognize the amazing mids immediately.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #857 of 2,575
  so far I have some very mixed feelings about dt150, bass rumble is the biggest issue for me, sometimes it can get annoyingly boomy, sometimes that boominess is hurting the bass texture so bad imo.  so changing the stock pads to velour would do anything to reduce the boominess and improve the bass texture ?   

dt100velorpads make the sound more studiolike/dampen...less hall-ish.
(not sure if that equates to less "boominess" ;P )

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #858 of 2,575

plugged this pair of cheap $10+?-ebay-combo ( a raytheon 6sn7 and a Jan/RCA 6as7) into my dv336se...
and that sound coming out of the dt150 is crystal..basssspunchigoodness..very very enjoyable.
grab the next dusty dv336se u see in the thriftstore. :p

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #859 of 2,575

plugged this pair of cheap $10+?-ebay-combo ( a raytheon 6sn7 and a Jan/RCA 6as7) into my dv336se...
and that sound coming out of the dt150 is crystal..basssspunchigoodness..very very enjoyable.
grab the next dusty dv336se u see in the thriftstore. :p

You're seducing me again Lors :p

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #861 of 2,575
Just got one of these, the open sound and soundstage is pretty nice considering, it isolates very well and leaks little.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #863 of 2,575
As it should be the 560s are better. Fuller and smoother sounding with better soundstage depth. But due to the fact the 150s closed and isolates very well, there are some details I can hear easier. The 150s are bit holographic, but is no where near the 560s, and is also a bit brighter sounding and easier to drive. The bass is also less textured on the 150s as well. The 150 doesn't like tubes though but is quite synergistic with the smooth mid forward fostex hp-a4,  which more than negates the 150's imperceptibly recessed mids and gives a smooth liquid sound that's not warm nor cold.
 It's almost 1/4 the price, and it sounds far more than 1/4 as good vs the 560s. Detailed, balanced, big soundstage for a closed headphone, and still isolates well. Still not even fully burned in yet either.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #864 of 2,575
Mar 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #866 of 2,575
my dt150 loves certain tube combo setups....v agile, v clear v holographic. 
For certain combos, it can be v spaced out..too airy,
some combos can be more liquid, syrupy
( i close my eyes, do a luckydraw from my tubebox...and enjoy watever presents itself :p)

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #867 of 2,575
  my dt150 loves certain tube combo setups....v agile, v clear v holographic. 
For certain combos, it can be v spaced out..too airy,
some combos can be more liquid, syrupy
( i close my eyes, do a luckydraw from my tubebox...and enjoy watever presents itself :p)

I have to agree with that. I recently put my Amperex Bugle Boy's in my Lyr 2 and the DT 150's sound amazing on them. They take on the agile, clear, and holographic sound on these tubes.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #868 of 2,575
Saw this rather art-deco style headphones on the shelves at my local hi-fi store today after being prompted by the staff to try the DT1350 and just decided what-the-heck and gave it a go.

My very first surprise was how light it felt - 250g I've been told, as I expected the plastic to be dense and heavy. Then I placed this unassuming pair of headphones on my head and I must say it blew everything on their shelves off the water, namely all the other headphones I have tried up to that point and I'm surprised to find that it actually costs a lot less than some of the other headphones I've tried on. *cough cough UE* On a different note, the cup is also deep enough. In fact, it's the only pair in the shop able to accommodate my ears in terms of depth too!

Definitely hit everything I'm looking for in terms of sound quality - clear, concise and lush without being too analytical but more importantly it's definitely capable of delivering music with authority. I think that attribute also makes it feels just a touch bit bassy as well.

The build quality is fantastic! No flimsy detail or finishes that looks like it may come off anytime soon or careless handling and a very solid feel to it. Definitely won't be falling apart on anyone from regular or even heavy use and I must say the headphones has a lovely aesthetics that I prefer over the more contemporary designs. The removable plug and socket are a cut above others though some might complain about it being too stiff or clunky, but I think it adds to the overall look.

Only downside I can think of is that the price tag might be a bit steep for some especially since you'll need to have a good source to drive it properly - 250 ohm puts a lot of casual/consumer grade source devices at a disadvantage, the clamp pressure might be a bit uncomfortable for some people especially people with glasses and the huge clunky look might not be ideal for all occasions. Definitely not a travel headphone.

I definitely will be getting a pair of these just for home listening.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #869 of 2,575
Own a pair of DT770 Pro's and tried pretty much every Beyerdynamic monitor out there + a whole array of other hi-end brands.
Despite the somewhat unappealing design these cans are unparalleled in terms of sound quality.
This model is simply in a category of its own.
Extremely detailed bass response, very accurate mids and beguiling highs.
The overall scene, depth and response is just fantastic.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #870 of 2,575
I continue to love my DT150s. But has anyone compared them to the new generation & much hyped closed headphones like the NAD hp50 or even the Sony z7. Just be interested to know. I would imagine few could match the 150 in outright sound and certainly none in terms of rugged function. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back