Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Apr 11, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #886 of 2,575
an amp should control the bass better than straight off an ipad..for eg. 
but i have never found this can to be loose in the bass with all my gears.
( or most of my kind of music aint bass heavy... lol )

the headband is quite flexible..can be bent to lessen the clampforce...mine is v comfy actually.

i am v happy with the dt100velor...gave a more studio dampen sound of sorts.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #887 of 2,575
may be I'm being little too negative on dt150 because of the stock pads. but honestly I loved the midrange despite all these issues. still I'm really puzzled how you guys can categorize this under neutral category.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #888 of 2,575
I'm really certain pleather stock pads are the main culprit here. it makes the bass response boomy. you might be able to fix it by changing the pads to velour.. if someone wants to hear excellent detailed bass response just look in to mt220, that is a real neutral headphone which can outclass dt150 in every aspect imo.

I'm usually not a big fan of bright sounding cans like dt990, q701.

Bass is anything but boomy, and it's certainly not dark sounding either. On a first listen it sounds quite harsh, but has since mellowed out but still is quite bright. I would classify the 150s as neutral and laid back. The treble has a shine, the midrange isn't really recessed at all and the bass only hits hard when the song calls for it. Bass lacking songs sound bass lacking on the 150s. 

It sounds better than the slightly shouty and dark akg k545. While it doesn' really wow me (then again I do have the he-560s), it's one of the few headphones I heard where I can't find anything wrong with it.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #889 of 2,575
i tend to put my amp on HIGH gain when listening to this can,
commands all the notes to attention...less "dark" maybe ?  :)
i dun even know where true neutral is.. blush.
But this dt150 is a lovely can.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #890 of 2,575
  Not sure if we can answer #1. You'll need to test it out with your setup I think. Maybe consider some amp?

#2. I find the DT150 to be fairly neutral with adequate kick in the bass region without sounding too bassy but that's listening to them off the shelf. It's best that you test a pair out before making a purchase.

#3. Unless you have humongous ears, I think they should fit fine. Almost every headphones I've ever tried failed to fit my ears in terms of depth and I wear glasses too. The DT150 fit my ears just fine.

as to #4 abd #5, that's personal preference. I find the stock pads to be pretty comfortable already, but the pair I tried on was the demo version and has been in service for a good year or two. I suppose for longer listening session, velour pads can't hurt. And they supply the cable where I'm from as well as extra cable for you to stitch on if required so yeah...

Thank you for your opinion. Yulong DA8 amp is quite capable, should be able to handle the can.
Anyone able to comment about low volume listening with DT-150 (vs HD6x0)?

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #891 of 2,575
dt150 is a closed can, wont leak sound as much as a hd650...
clarity is dependant on your setup?

------

listening to GLADIATORs now...at very low volume,( not my normal practice :p
spatial cues excellent ... all the drama in the music intact...
on my setup, 

on to THE LAST SAMURAI... grand taiko drums.

=======

i just cranked up the vol on THE DARK KNIGHT RISES....
dammm this can rooaaaauuuuummmbleessss ..crazy great.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #892 of 2,575
may be I'm being little too negative on dt150 because of the stock pads. but honestly I loved the midrange despite all these issues. still I'm really puzzled how you guys can categorize this under neutral category.

I don't think it's the pads, the pads can be a bit uncomfortable for some, but you shouldn't be getting boomy bass with them unless some bad synergy is going on. They are quite neutral when driven right. I don't really find them dark at all, this is compared to the K712, HD 600, MA900, and K612. I do find the HD 650 dark as well as my modded T50RP.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #893 of 2,575
I don't think it's the pads, the pads can be a bit uncomfortable for some, but you shouldn't be getting boomy bass with them unless some bad synergy is going on. They are quite neutral when driven right. I don't really find them dark at all, this is compared to the K712, HD 600, MA900, and K612. I do find the HD 650 dark as well as my modded T50RP.

I think, I should take back the word "boomy", because strong bass rumble might be sometimes confused as boominess, that's what I was trying to say earlier... this strong bass rumble was the main issue with the bass presentation for me.. due to this, my ears are fatiguing easily, so I had to stop using it. may be it was the clamping force ?  probably I was having bad synergy too, that might be the cause of the dark sound signature then..

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #894 of 2,575

I think, I should take back the word "boomy", because strong bass rumble might be sometimes confused as boominess, that's what I was trying to say earlier... this strong bass rumble was the main issue with the bass presentation for me.. due to this, my ears are fatiguing easily, so I had to stop using it. may be it was the clamping force ?  probably I was having bad synergy too, that might be the cause of the dark sound signature then..

It could actually be the clamping force, I have often confused comfort issues with sound fatigue. The bass presentation may not be to your liking, it has the Beyer bass to it, which not everyone likes. Comfort issues can easily cause fatigue. Yeah, it likely is the clamp that bothered you. I don't find the DT 150 all that clampy personally, the HD 600/650 are much clampier. Some of my headphones become darker and smoother with good synergy(AKGs) and others have become a bit brighter. The DT 150 becomes a little brighter with a better system and the bass really tightens up and the mids get even better.

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #895 of 2,575
clamping  force is too much to me, it giving me headaches so I got rid of it already.

You can get rid of the clamp by bending the headband outwards quite easily.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #896 of 2,575
I'm sorry, I don't find dt150 as neutral at all with the stock pleather pads. it's too dark sounding with over-emphasized bass response. to me, stock pads are just terrible. Beyer should have provided extra velour pads with these. and clamping  force is too much to me, it giving me headaches so I got rid of it already.

Wait, Dark sounding? 
eek.gif
 Actually it sounded very bright to me on my first listen, but I suppose I just finished listening to the DT1350. Few minutes in and I actually enjoyed it. And as many has mentioned, the bass response is only there on tracks with strong bass. I guess in the end it's a matter of perspective and preferences.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #897 of 2,575

Haven't touched the DT150 for many months, enjoying it quite a lot on the V200. 
With the V200 the DT150 sounds closest to the k812 which isn't a bad thing.

I would like to mock the big guys but little headphones like the HD800, 650, 600, SR507 all sound significantly lower fidelity IMO. DT150 on my system just has better transients. No wonder the 150 sounded like **** on my Valhalla 2.

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #898 of 2,575

Haven't touched the DT150 for many months, enjoying it quite a lot on the V200. 

With the V200 the DT150 sounds closest to the k812 which isn't a bad thing.

I would like to mock the big guys but little headphones like the HD800, 650, 600, SR507 all sound significantly lower fidelity IMO. DT150 on my system just has better transients. No wonder the 150 sounded like **** on my Valhalla 2.

Nice to see you got the V200. I take it you liked the K812? A new amp can really change ones impressions of headphones. When I tube roll on my amp, my favorite headphone often changes. Is the Valhalla 2 that disappointing with the DT 150? What would you say is the main problem with the DT 150 on the Valhalla 2? I've been very happy with them on my Lyr 2, though they do sound meh on certain tubes.

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #899 of 2,575
Nice to see you got the V200. I take it you liked the K812? A new amp can really change ones impressions of headphones. When I tube roll on my amp, my favorite headphone often changes. Is the Valhalla 2 that disappointing with the DT 150? What would you say is the main problem with the DT 150 on the Valhalla 2? I've been very happy with them on my Lyr 2, though they do sound meh on certain tubes.

I loved the k812, to me it sounded better than the 009 and 007. I could care less about STAX. 
Problem with the Schiit is that it has no problem, the one to be blamed is me. I can't tell apart my Xonar STX and that OTL. Valhalla 2 was by far the worst purchase I made considering I paid almost Lyr 2 money for it. The STX is less money, comes with a DAC and the ASUS chip sounds no different from that OTL. 

I'm done with Amps for a while, the best Single Ended SS is the Beyerdynamic A2 followed by the V281. The V200 was in my budget so I got it for my DT48s only. 

BTW - One thing I love about the Valhalla 2 is heat, it keeps my palm warm during cold nights, can't go wrong with a tube palm warmer!
I'm sure you can relate, my friend tells me the Lyr 2 gets even hotter?

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #900 of 2,575
I loved the k812, to me it sounded better than the 009 and 007. I could care less about STAX. 

Problem with the Schiit is that it has no problem, the one to be blamed is me. I can't tell apart my Xonar STX and that OTL. Valhalla 2 was by far the worst purchase I made considering I paid almost Lyr 2 money for it. The STX is less money, comes with a DAC and the ASUS chip sounds no different from that OTL. 

I'm done with Amps for a while, the best Single Ended SS is the Beyerdynamic A2 followed by the V281. The V200 was in my budget so I got it for my DT48s only. 

BTW - One thing I love about the Valhalla 2 is heat, it keeps my palm warm during cold nights, can't go wrong with a tube palm warmer!

I'm sure you can relate, my friend tells me the Lyr 2 gets even hotter?

I really liked the K812 myself. I actually enjoyed The Staxes when I heard them. But I like a lot of headphones, though there are only a few headphones I love, I try not to dismiss headphones on the first listen unless it's absolutely atrocious as it could be a system thing or that I failed to grasp the sound some reason.

I wonder if it's the tubes, considering how mediocre the Lyr 2 stock tubes are, I wouldn't be surprised. I swapped my Lyr 2 stock tubes real quick, dynamics and transparency are lacking and the stock tubes sound a bit smeared and harsh compared to all my other tubes. The thing that sucks about most lower priced tube amps is that tube rolling is key to get them to sound good. I've never heard the V2, so I can't comment on its sound. I'm surprised the V2 doesnt seem to have the classic tube soundstage and presentation which is why I prefer tubes over ss personally.

I haven't heard a whole lot of ss amps, most I have heard have been high-end though, I haven't listened to most high-end amps regardless of ss or tube long enough to come to a definite conclusion about a lot of the amps I've heard. I'm still in the process of finding my preferred sound, my preferences also vary a lot depending on my mood.

The Lyr 2 gets very hot, almost uncomfortable so. The amp likely is going to make things uncomfortable this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back