Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Aug 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #301 of 2,575
Keep us posted on that , it has been a long time since I have had a night with the 240s , they just don't get a lot of head time unfortunately 
I loved them for the first few days until the spikes and ragged presentation really made them quite undesirable to listen to , I am very interested in the new Fostex headphone but currently I'm just saving up for a T1 or a Hd800 , kinda done with Mid-Fi for now 

Ah sounds like the large 10khz spike on the K240 reared it's ugly head, that's ultimately the reason I stopped liking them much as well, which is a shame since they are so musical. I can tell the Fostex is going to take a lot of work. I undertstand moving to the top of the line headphones. I had a chance to listen to a few and not really in any rush to get any yet. I guess I'm satisfied with mid-tier right now, the K712 and DT 150 have me quite satisfied. Have you listened to the T1 or HD 800?

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #302 of 2,575
Ah sounds like the large 10khz spike on the K240 reared it's ugly head, that's ultimately the reason I stopped liking them much as well, which is a shame since they are so musical. I can tell the Fostex is going to take a lot of work. I undertstand moving to the top of the line headphones. I had a chance to listen to a few and not really in any rush to get any yet. I guess I'm satisfied with mid-tier right now, the K712 and DT 150 have me quite satisfied. Have you listened to the T1 or HD 800?

As a matter of fact I have , I haven't had a long session with the T1 though , I am more inclined towards the 800 just because of the imaging and speed , I would choose a STAX setup as a end-game but since the price is so high , I just can't afford them at least based on my earnings from YouTube  

I enjoyed the clean presentation of the 800s a lot , the t1s in comparison are great but they aren't the departure I'm looking for 
Anyways both the 800s and T1s are keepers for sure at least for a dynamic guy , I might change my mind because I love the dt880s and 150s so ...let's see
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #303 of 2,575

As a matter of fact I have , I haven't had a long session with the T1 though , I am more inclined towards the 800 just because of the imaging and speed , I would choose a STAX setup as a end-game but since the price is so high , I just can't afford them at least based on my earnings from YouTube  

I enjoyed the clean presentation of the 800s a lot , the t1s in comparison are great but they aren't the departure I'm looking for 
Anyways both the 800s and T1s are keepers for sure at least for a dynamic guy , I might change my mind because I love the dt880s and 150s so ...let's see
biggrin.gif

Ah I see, I've heard both myself. Preferred the T1 slightly of the two, I didn't like the HD 800 until I heard it on the right amp and spent more time with it, I don't think the HD 800 could ever be a main headphone for me, it's not musical enough. I personally liked the K812 more than either, it struck a really nice balance between technical ability and musicality to my ears.

I realized I'm a dynamic guy, I think I like Orthos the least of the headphone technologies, something doesn't sound quite right about them to me. STAX's are really nice but they are too expensive for the really good ones. I think I'm an AKG guy overall, something about their sound signature is oddly comfortable to me especially with the right synergy. I may get myself an HD 650 sometime. It's been a while since I heard both the K712 and HD 650 side by side, I found the K712 slightly darker overall and somewhat bassier than the HD 650 last time I heard both.

How would you rate the DT 880 and DT 150 among your headphones?

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #304 of 2,575

Ah I see, I've heard both myself. Preferred the T1 slightly of the two, I didn't like the HD 800 until I heard it on the right amp and spent more time with it, I don't think the HD 800 could ever be a main headphone for me, it's not musical enough. I personally liked the K812 more than either, it struck a really nice balance between technical ability and musicality to my ears.

I realized I'm a dynamic guy, I think I like Orthos the least of the headphone technologies, something doesn't sound quite right about them to me. STAX's are really nice but they are too expensive for the really good ones. I think I'm an AKG guy overall, something about their sound signature is oddly comfortable to me especially with the right synergy.

How would you rate the DT 880 and DT 150 among your headphones?

That's the thing I like about headphones ,everyone has a different taste and there are many options available ...Even I'm not a Planar guy although that might be a bit far fetched , I have only auditioned the LCD-2 

That's a tough one , there's a lot to say about both but in the end I think the 150s are overall a better headphone , I can't believe how undervalued these really are , they probably are the best Beyer under the T1 and T5p , I think all DT models are just stunning 
The Beyers I hate are the t90 and t70s , those are the most thin and overpriced Beyers ever made , the classic DT Models namely the 880,770,990,250,100,48,150 etc are all very nice and probably a must have as a collector
Another thing I love about Beyer is that almost all DT models are grain free , they are free of that harsh and grainy Japanese headphone sound which I just love !

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #305 of 2,575

That's the thing I like about headphones ,everyone has a different taste and there are many options available ...Even I'm not a Planar guy although that might be a bit far fetched , I have only auditioned the LCD-2 

That's a tough one , there's a lot to say about both but in the end I think the 150s are overall a better headphone , I can't believe how undervalued these really are , they probably are the best Beyer under the T1 and T5p , I think all DT models are just stunning 
The Beyers I hate are the t90 and t70s , those are the most thin and overpriced Beyers ever made , the classic DT Models namely the 880,770,990,250,100,48,150 etc are all very nice and probably a must have as a collector
Another thing I love about Beyer is that almost all DT models are grain free , they are free of that harsh and grainy Japanese headphone sound which I just love !

That is true, then there is the whole system behind the headphones that add another element to preferences. I do like some planers a lot but some reason they didn't strike me as great as claimed.

It's been a while since I heard the DT 880, but that is true, the DT 150 are fantastic, goes to show a properly designed closed-back can easily compare to an a well-designed open-back. I hated the T90s when I heard them, that treble... True, there are a lot of great Beyers, I've only owned the DT 990 and DT 150, the 990 while I liked it was ultimately too bright for my tastes. The DT 150 is the best Beyer I've heard outside the T1. The DT 150 does so much right. I guess it's because it's their looks more than anything that deter people. I'm not sure what is wrong with many Japanese headphones. Outside the unobtainable R10 and STAX I don't really have an interest in any.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #306 of 2,575

That is true, then there is the whole system behind the headphones that add another element to preferences. I do like some planers a lot but some reason they didn't strike me as great as claimed.

It's been a while since i heard both, but that is true, the DT 150 are fantastic, goes to show a properly designed closed-back can easily compare to an a well-designed open-back. I hated the T90s when I heard them, that treble... True, there are a lot of great Beyers, I've only owned the DT 990 and DT 150, the 990 while I liked it was ultimately too bright for my tastes. The DT 150 is the best Beyer I've heard outside the T1. The DT 150 does so much right. I guess it's because it's their looks more than anything that deter people. I'm not sure what is wrong with many Japanese headphones. Outside the unobtainable R10 and STAX I don't really have an interest in any.

I exactly know what's wrong with Japanese headphones , they use the same membrane materials for all the headphones 
Fidelity has do with the membranes more than anything else , frequency response on the other hand can be easily treated with damping etc 
For example take your Fostex , it might be be tinny and bass light un-modded but the driver potential is world class 
For dynamics its harder than that , most if not all Japanese headphones use the same material , that's why the definitive characters are apparent among them , now you might ask what about the Nano Fibre Drivers of the the Denon Music Maniac Series , well I think its just that Nano-Fibre on top of the regular BoPET which makes them just the same thing , they just went ahead and patented it which doesn't make any sense since there's nothing special about it , again I could be horribly wrong but this seems to be the safest assumption 

I know I'm not buying any high end Japanese Dynamic headphones unless the new Sony Flagship is really ground breaking !

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #307 of 2,575
  I exactly know what's wrong with Japanese headphones , they use the same membrane materials for all the headphones 
Fidelity has do with the membranes more than anything else , frequency response on the other hand can be easily treated with damping etc 
For example take your Fostex , it might be be tinny and bass light un-modded but the driver potential is world class 
For dynamics its harder than that , most if not all Japanese headphones use the same material , that's why the definitive characters are apparent among them , now you might ask what about the Nano Fibre Drivers of the the Denon Music Maniac Series , well I think its just that Nano-Fibre on top of the regular BoPET which makes them just the same thing , they just went ahead and patented it which doesn't make any sense since there's nothing special about it , again I could be horribly wrong but this seems to be the safest assumption 

I know I'm not buying any high end Japanese headphones unless the new Sony Flagship is really ground breaking !

Ah, sounds like they cheaped out. The older ones aren't like that from my experience. That likely is true, the only truly good Japanese dynamics I heard were old and discontinued. It's sad because in the past many Japanese phones were great. I have noticed they all seem to similar sound characteristics, except a few I heard here and there. With even simple mods I could hear the Fostex's potential. I don't find them too lacking in bass, it's more of a problem with heavy resonance and incoherence.

True, if Sony manages a true R10 successor then I will be all over that headphone, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #308 of 2,575

Enjoying my old DT150 with Beyer DT770 type china-made headcushion...

DT100 velor pads, with the driver thinfoam removed for added clarity.
And some stuffings to the back edge of the pads to angle the drivers .

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-pad-fit-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones-/200806723604?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec1037014&_uhb=1

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #309 of 2,575

Enjoying my old DT150 with Beyer DT770 type china-made headcushion...

DT100 velor pads, with the driver thinfoam removed for added clarity.
And some stuffings to the back edge of the pads to angle the drivers .

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Headband-Cushion-Comfort-pad-fit-BEYERDYNAMIC-DT770-DT880-DT990-PRO-Headphones-/200806723604?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec1037014&_uhb=1

Where did you get the DT 100 velour pads?  The only place I am aware of is Thomann but their shipping prices to Canada are ridiculous for small items.

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #310 of 2,575
ebay has it....search under "beyerdynamic dt100 velor pads"

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #312 of 2,575
Auction:
http://www.ebay.pl/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-100-Velour-Ear-Cushion-Pair-DT-100-102-108-109-Beyer-Dynamic-/121352421539?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1c412b00a3&_uhb=1

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #314 of 2,575
Q:  Is this one of the best headfone for classicals in your collection of headfones? 

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #315 of 2,575

For what it counts they are the best I've heard (I have far less experience of 'high end' headphones than most people on here)

As an example I was listening to the Faust Symphony by Liszt (Bernstein BSO & like all of the DG Original CDs I have, a fantastic recording) last night in bed and it sounded absolutely breathtaking. Every instrument sounding just as I Imagine it should, realistic. Very dynamic with terrific impact on crescendos and the tiniest detail revealed on the quieter parts. the fact that they're closed doesn't seem to matter to me they sound more open and have a wider soundstage than many opened backs.

The DT990s are possibly their equal if my memory serves me right and my Sony PFR-V1 ('personal field speakers' not really headphones at all) sound particularly good on lighter recordings. Certainly better than the Grado PS500s i owned briefly. 

I am biased the DT150s are generally the best headphones I've heard for any of the music I listen to. They sound a bit dark initially but once burned in and/or you get used to their sound, most other headphones sound either unnatural or missing something at least.. 

The DT660s seem to be recommended on headfi as closed classical headphones. I haven't heard them myself (i own their open cousin the DT440, another underrated Beyer).

On that subject as anyone compared the DT660 and DT150 directly ?
  Q:  Is this one of the best headfone for classicals in your collection of headfones? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back