Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jun 29, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #271 of 2,575
  Having had HD650 I have to confess that timbre of DT150 and naturalness of vocals is much better with Beyers.
Hifiman 500 which I have been auditioning, were too bright sometimes and not enough full at the bottom frequencies (but detailing was very good)
Audeze seems to be a point on horizon, but prices are crazy...

I prefer the HD650, especially for the way they handle sibilance. The pair of DT150 I have can be rather sibilant, the HD650 is more forgiving.

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #272 of 2,575
Just got myself a pair of these (Amazon Warehouse deal). They may be among the ugliest phones around but beauty is only skin deep so they say and these are possibly the most beautiful sounding headphones I've hear so far.

Quite different to my other Beyerdynamics being considerably warmer which is very nice change. They do show up any imperfections in the recording more than my other phones but at the same time the music is still a pleasure to listen to. They are obviously very detailed but the tiny details are only there if you listen for them.You seem to listen to the music rather than concentrating on the headphone with these.  I would have to say the bass may be the most impressive thing of all it seems so deep but not over done. Its seems separate from the other frequencies and doesn't intrude on them, if that makes sense 

Being listening to some 'krautrock' today: Kraftwerk 'Autobahn' and Phaedra by Tangerine Dream and they sounded wonderful. Seventies German classics being a perfect match for the very 70's Beyers maybe.

Used them with my Graham Slee Voyager and the synergy with the DT150 seems as good as my HD25s, which is to say great.

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #273 of 2,575
  Just got myself a pair of these (Amazon Warehouse deal). They may be among the ugliest phones around but beauty is only skin deep so they say and these are possibly the most beautiful sounding headphones I've hear so far.

Quite different to my other Beyerdynamics being considerably warmer which is very nice change. They do show up any imperfections in the recording more than my other phones but at the same time the music is still a pleasure to listen to. They are obviously very detailed but the tiny details are only there if you listen for them.You seem to listen to the music rather than concentrating on the headphone with these.  I would have to say the bass may be the most impressive thing of all it seems so deep but not over done. Its seems separate from the other frequencies and doesn't intrude on them, if that makes sense 

Being listening to some 'krautrock' today: Kraftwerk 'Autobahn' and Phaedra by Tangerine Dream and they sounded wonderful. Seventies German classics being a perfect match for the very 70's Beyers maybe.

Used them with my Graham Slee Voyager and the synergy with the DT150 seems as good as my HD25s, which is to say great.

Thanks for the impressions.
I think you described them perfectly!
These DT150's are all about enjoying the music, instead of analysing it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #274 of 2,575
Few days ago I've made a small mod. I did put a piece of sheep wool inside the ear cups. Just in the middle of them. It cancels small bass reverberations. To me - nice small upgrade.

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #275 of 2,575
  Few days ago I've made a small mod. I did put a piece of sheep wool inside the ear cups. Just in the middle of them. It cancels small bass reverberations. To me - nice small upgrade.

How did you get inside the ear cups? I  have no idea how to open them....

Jun 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #277 of 2,575
  At the bottom of black thin foam there are 2 screws. You should naturally remove pads before this operation.

Ah, thanks!

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #278 of 2,575
I just purchased these, should get them early next week. I can't wait to hear them. I hope these are the closed headphones I've been looking for, as the description of them, it seems to be the case. I've been eying this headphone for a while now and I finally convinced myself to get them.

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #280 of 2,575
  I just purchased these, should get them early next week. I can't wait to hear them. I hope these are the closed headphones I've been looking for, as the description of them, it seems to be the case. I've been eying this headphone for a while now and I finally convinced myself to get them.

You're in for a treat.
They are wonderful headphones. You might, like me. even consider the possibility of not needing to buy any more full size headphones again. They are that good . 

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #281 of 2,575
  You're in for a treat.
They are wonderful headphones. You might, like me. even consider the possibility of not needing to buy any more full size headphones again. They are that good . 

Sounds like it from what I read. I'm planning on getting a new amp not long after, and maybe I will be satisfied with headphones and stop putting more money into this hobby.

Give them good burn in period. They could play very loud (high SPLs), don't worry. They will open heights after loud break in period. 

I'll keep that in mind, I do tend to burn-in my headphones heavily off and on the first few weeks of owning them.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #282 of 2,575
  I tried the Brainwavz HM5 pads with the DT 150.
And guess what? They fit!
The sound with them is great, and the comfort much improved.
These pads are also cheap.
They saved my DT 150 from selling
beyersmile.png

How changes sound and isolation?

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #283 of 2,575
  How changes sound and isolation?

The HM5 pads gave a slightly fuller, more bodied sound with less treble. Maybe because they have a better seal due to the softness. And the drivers are closer to the ear.
But the change in sound wasn't night and day. It all depends how the various pads fit on your typical head.
Isolation is less.
For the little money they cost and free shipping, it's worthwile to try out yourself.

In the meantime I switched to the expensive Mr Speakers Dog pads for a more comfortable fit, they are real leather.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back