Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jan 27, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #256 of 2,575
  I am looking to help the mids to be a bit more present.  How do they compare in that regard?

Well, that's just what they do, because the drivers are nearer to the ear with HM5 pads.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #258 of 2,575
Hi! I'm wondering if they cause fatigue while listening for long periods of time and also if they are comfortable. I'm looking for some cans to use at work (openspace/IT office).
Also how do they compare (rather how different are) from AKG k271 MKII or k550?

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #259 of 2,575
  Hi! I'm wondering if they cause fatigue while listening for long periods of time and also if they are comfortable. I'm looking for some cans to use at work (openspace/IT office).
Also how do they compare (rather how different are) from AKG k271 MKII or k550?

Comfort depends on the shape and condition of the ear pads. Also depends wether you wear glasses or not.
Beyer changed the pads over time. Some will be softer, otther stiffer. They also become softer when they get older.
Even the plastic of the pads will vary form sticky to non sticky.
If you have big ears, the pads can not be wide enough. They look huge, but the ear cups are rather small.
So, it will be a gamble, as always with BeyerDynamic headphones.

The sound differs from the K271 in some ways. The DT150 has a fuller sound, with a lot more bass. The K271 has sweeter highs.
Soundstage is wider on the DT150.
They are very easy on the ear, not aggressive by any means, so not fatigueing. In fact everything sounds fine with them.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #260 of 2,575
I wear glasses. Are these too uncomfortable with them? I have a medium/small head and ears (my ear is bit smaller than a Grado Comfy). How is the ear room compared with the k271? I have the superlux hd681 (can take the k271 pads) and I find plenty of ear room.

Besides the original pads, are there others that may improve comfort and/or SQ? I've ran a quick search on ebay and just a few replacements popped up.
EDIT: I've noticed you've tried the dt100 velours and HM5. Where can I find the HM5 pads?

How does the FiiO E07K/E17 drives the dt150?

Many Thanks 

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #261 of 2,575
  I wear glasses. Are these too uncomfortable with them? I have a medium/small head and ears (my ear is bit smaller than a Grado Comfy). How is the ear room compared with the k271? I have the superlux hd681 (can take the k271 pads) and I find plenty of ear room.

Besides the original pads, are there others that may improve comfort and/or SQ? I've ran a quick search on ebay and just a few replacements popped up.
EDIT: I've noticed you've tried the dt100 velours and HM5. Where can I find the HM5 pads?

How does the FiiO E07K/E17 drives the dt150?

Many Thanks 

You can buy the HM5 ear pads here: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc
They improve both comfort and sound IMO.

Stock pads and glasses can give comfort problems if the legs are too thick. The thinner the legs, the better.

The ear room compared to the AKG pads is much better. I can't tolerate the vinyl and velour AKG pads, because they are too small for my jumbo ears.

Don't know anything about the FijO, sorry.

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #264 of 2,575
Dear Headfiers,
Could someone please recommend me headphones that could be an upgrade over DT150? I love DT150 and hope to keep them forever. But I'm curious which headphones might have such authority in sound, smoothness of middle and silky heights?

Thank you for your help

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #265 of 2,575
  Dear Headfiers,
Could someone please recommend me headphones that could be an upgrade over DT150? I love DT150 and hope to keep them forever. But I'm curious which headphones might have such authority in sound, smoothness of middle and silky heights?

Thank you for your help

Also very interested in this

I'd love a more expensive pair of headphones, but I hate the stereotypical hi-fi sound signature (boosted highs and/or V curve). For me the DT150 is perfect - loads of bass and flat mids/highs.

Jun 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #266 of 2,575
Forget it. There's no upgrade until you are willing to spend a lot of money
beyersmile.png

I have now Mr.Speakers Dog ear pads installed. Nice leather pads that fits them perfectly.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #268 of 2,575
  Dear Tiemen,
Imagine for a while - cost no object solution.

Well, the only headphones I can think of are Planar Magnetics: Oppo, Audez'e, HiFiMAN, ZMF, MrSpeakers. Though I only heard the ZMF.
Then there's the HD650.
And the old Sextett's from AKG and Philips.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #269 of 2,575
Having had HD650 I have to confess that timbre of DT150 and naturalness of vocals is much better with Beyers.
Hifiman 500 which I have been auditioning, were too bright sometimes and not enough full at the bottom frequencies (but detailing was very good)
Audeze seems to be a point on horizon, but prices are crazy...

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #270 of 2,575
  Having had HD650 I have to confess that timbre of DT150 and naturalness of vocals is much better with Beyers.
Hifiman 500 which I have been auditioning, were too bright sometimes and not enough full at the bottom frequencies (but detailing was very good)
Audeze seems to be a point on horizon, but prices are crazy...

I think the LCD series is pretty much the only choice.

The frequency response of the DT150 matches them quite closely, maybe a little less highs on the beyers

It's actually crazy how flat and distortion-free the DT150 is for a dynamic headphone, god only knows why it isn't more popular

Users who are viewing this thread

Back