Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Dec 5, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,477 of 2,575
Just finished some mods, and I’m very pleased!
I’ve had these for a good few months, and although pleased, have been bothered by the ‘bathroom’ effect - like listening in a tiled room, reverberant and glaring, with intelligibility suffering as a result.
Various pad swaps have not helped, the original pads giving the best presentation, despite my mammoth ears touching the foam, which is a little irritating after a while.
The more I thought about the sound, the more I got to think about room treatment rather than headphone tuning, and so in the end I’ve treated them like little rooms, with (to me at least) very positive results.
I first inserted 2mm bitumen damping sheet into the recesses in the back of the cups (I used the dedshete standard from wilmslow audio).
This evening I’ve added ‘soft furnishing’ in the form of 3mm felt over the damping.
I also rolled a thin rope of blutac in the notch where the drive units sit before reassembly in order to remove any leaks, and to better couple the unit as a whole.
One last tweak (I’m supposed to be a scientist - how many variables!), I removed the ‘tea-bag’ filter from in front of the driver to try to brighten them a little.
Overall, listening to a bit of Jon Hopkins, my mods seem to have done exactly what I wanted. Bass is strong but tight, not subterranean but then it never was, the glare has gone, leaving everything in its own little space (ooo, bit of piano, bite on attack but no glare - nice - very ... pianoey!), treble a bit more forward and airy without edging into stridency.
I’m quite chuffed with myself!
Dave

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #2,478 of 2,575
Aurora
sporting the Dt150

e.png

Untitleed.png

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #2,479 of 2,575
I’ve had these for a good few months, and although pleased, have been bothered by the ‘bathroom’ effect - like listening in a tiled room, reverberant and glaring, with intelligibility suffering as a result.
Various pad swaps have not helped, the original pads giving the best presentation, despite my mammoth ears touching the foam, which is a little irritating after a while.
The more I thought about the sound, the more I got to think about room treatment rather than headphone tuning, and so in the end I’ve treated them like little rooms, with (to me at least) very positive results.
I first inserted 2mm bitumen damping sheet into the recesses in the back of the cups (I used the dedshete standard from wilmslow audio).
This evening I’ve added ‘soft furnishing’ in the form of 3mm felt over the damping.
I also rolled a thin rope of blutac in the notch where the drive units sit before reassembly in order to remove any leaks, and to better couple the unit as a whole.
One last tweak (I’m supposed to be a scientist - how many variables!), I removed the ‘tea-bag’ filter from in front of the driver to try to brighten them a little.
Overall, listening to a bit of Jon Hopkins, my mods seem to have done exactly what I wanted. Bass is strong but tight, not subterranean but then it never was, the glare has gone, leaving everything in its own little space (ooo, bit of piano, bite on attack but no glare - nice - very ... pianoey!), treble a bit more forward and airy without edging into stridency.
Dave
Please take some pics of mod

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #2,480 of 2,575
meghan-markle-prince-harry-accent-podcast-1608202141.jpg

Sorry being British (and a royalist) she's not fit to wear them.

Beats.... perhaps?!??

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #2,482 of 2,575
So I've been lurking around here for a while and I'm looking to get my first pair of higher end, over the ear closed back headphones for home use. After reading a lot of threads on this forum, the DT150s sounded like a good match for my needs due to their isolation, soundstage, and SQ.

I found a used pair of DT150s for $120 but I'm concerned I won't have a proper setup to run them. I use a Qudelix 5K portable DAC/AMP with my Etymotic ER3XRs (thanks to Head-fi for the Ety recommendation and pointing me to a great deal at Adorama!).
  1. Will the Qudelix 5K be good enough to power the DT150s? Looking at the 5K specs and comparables, Qudelix says they could drive the Senn HD600s (300 ohm/97dB/mW) up to 108dB w/ 3.5mm unbalanced but after reading a lot of posts here, I'm concerned more about the level of detail/bass if using a portable amp. FYI, the specs I found for the DT150 is 250ohm/99dB/mW and I think the Qudelix has a max output of 16mW @ 250 ohms (not entirely sure I calculated this correctly): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ICIA_PmGm4F-zxEfxMsYktS00Vfw5GR1KQepqAQTQ2A/edit
  2. Considering I'm not willing to upgrade my home setup (yet), would a lower impedance headphone, like the DT770 32 or 80 ohm sound better than the DT150 if I can't get these properly amped?
  3. The Qudelix also has a balanced 2.5mm output which could give me more power (Approx.114dB w/ 2.5mm balanced, 64mW @ 250 ohms) but again, would this even be enough or would the DT770s sound better via a portable amp? Recabling would also be a bit of a project for me since I don't have experience wiring headphones, but I'm willing to put in the effort since I don't really like that the DT770 has a fixed cable. TheDT770 would also be more expensive unless I can find another deal.
  4. Any other recommendations that I may be overlooking? Initially, I was considering getting the Senn Momentum 3 but I don't need bluetooth and I'd rather not bother with charging my headphones. I also heard these don't sound as good passively.
Apologies if this is not the right place to ask these questions but you all seem very knowledgeable about this headphone so I figured I'd start here first!

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #2,483 of 2,575
Dave
the good ole' tweaking bug that makes the heart jump and pump wildly ... :D ...i always was amused by how long it takes to tinker cup 1 vs cup 2, and that buildup just before listening to them hoping it works... huehue XD

any pics?

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,484 of 2,575
So I've been lurking around here for a while and I'm looking to get my first pair of higher end, over the ear closed back headphones for home use. After reading a lot of threads on this forum, the DT150s sounded like a good match for my needs due to their isolation, soundstage, and SQ.

I found a used pair of DT150s for $120 but I'm concerned I won't have a proper setup to run them. I use a Qudelix 5K portable DAC/AMP with my Etymotic ER3XRs (thanks to Head-fi for the Ety recommendation and pointing me to a great deal at Adorama!).
  1. Will the Qudelix 5K be good enough to power the DT150s? Looking at the 5K specs and comparables, Qudelix says they could drive the Senn HD600s (300 ohm/97dB/mW) up to 108dB w/ 3.5mm unbalanced but after reading a lot of posts here, I'm concerned more about the level of detail/bass if using a portable amp. FYI, the specs I found for the DT150 is 250ohm/99dB/mW and I think the Qudelix has a max output of 16mW @ 250 ohms (not entirely sure I calculated this correctly): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ICIA_PmGm4F-zxEfxMsYktS00Vfw5GR1KQepqAQTQ2A/edit
  2. Considering I'm not willing to upgrade my home setup (yet), would a lower impedance headphone, like the DT770 32 or 80 ohm sound better than the DT150 if I can't get these properly amped?
  3. The Qudelix also has a balanced 2.5mm output which could give me more power (Approx.114dB w/ 2.5mm balanced, 64mW @ 250 ohms) but again, would this even be enough or would the DT770s sound better via a portable amp? Recabling would also be a bit of a project for me since I don't have experience wiring headphones, but I'm willing to put in the effort since I don't really like that the DT770 has a fixed cable. TheDT770 would also be more expensive unless I can find another deal.
  4. Any other recommendations that I may be overlooking? Initially, I was considering getting the Senn Momentum 3 but I don't need bluetooth and I'd rather not bother with charging my headphones. I also heard these don't sound as good passively.
Apologies if this is not the right place to ask these questions but you all seem very knowledgeable about this headphone so I figured I'd start here first!
Sansa Clip+ can drive DT150 pretty well, so you're fine. And don't ever think about DT770 instead of DT150.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,487 of 2,575
Adding to the DT 150 love here.

I've owned the DT 1770, DT 990 600 ohm, and DT 770 80 ohm, and the DT 150 with Brainwavz Oval Pleathers (non-angled) are by far my favourite Beyers. Pads are a pretty tight fit, but with a good amount of stretching of the lips of the pads, they'll go on.

Owned the Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany and E-MU Teaks too, and I'd take the DT 150 over them too. Much better mids, and more even sub- and mid-bass emphasis, and nicely dialled back bass presence, whilst retaining excellent slam and power.

I have to stay that the stock leatherette pads seriously obscure the DT 150's potential. Soundstage, clarity, bass definition and texture, and treble extension, presence, and detail are all significantly better with the Brainwavz Oval Pleathers. Much livelier and energetic response overall.

Based on general pad rolling experience, I would suggest sticking to pleather pads. Sheepskin/lambskin pads will almost always darken the sound and boost bass compared to pleather (stock pads are leatherette). Velour and suedes (at least Brainwavz suedes) will tend to suck out the mids and mid-bass and warmth.
DT100 velour pads are a very good option too

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #2,488 of 2,575
Hello everyone!

I have a pair of DT150 and the pads are totally wrecked. I have already found places where I can buy the replacements, but I do have a problem. I have no idea how to actually replace them. I noticed that for other headphones (DT100 for example), the pads can be attached only by "wrapping" them around the phones, but in my case, they are just glued. Does anybody know how I should doing it? Do I need to use glue, and if yes, what kind of glue (don't want to ruin the phones or the pads using god knows what kind of corrosive one). Or, if not glue, how? I've turned the internet upside down, trying to find a tutorial and it seems like all the headphones in the world are there but DT150. There's no info anywhere of how should I do it. Can anybody help me with some infos, please? Maybe someone who had the same issue? Thanks a lot and have a nice day!:beyersmile:

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,489 of 2,575
Hello everyone!

I have a pair of DT150 and the pads are totally wrecked. I have already found places where I can buy the replacements, but I do have a problem. I have no idea how to actually replace them. I noticed that for other headphones (DT100 for example), the pads can be attached only by "wrapping" them around the phones, but in my case, they are just glued. Does anybody know how I should doing it? Do I need to use glue, and if yes, what kind of glue (don't want to ruin the phones or the pads using god knows what kind of corrosive one). Or, if not glue, how? I've turned the internet upside down, trying to find a tutorial and it seems like all the headphones in the world are there but DT150. There's no info anywhere of how should I do it. Can anybody help me with some infos, please? Maybe someone who had the same issue? Thanks a lot and have a nice day!:beyersmile:
Stock pads are to be wrapped as you said, not glued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back