Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Dec 22, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #61 of 434
Quote:
The four bass settings are just ports. Muddy, muddier, and offensive (this coming from a guy who LOVES beyer and has DT770 as a go to can).
Again, ears vary. I do find it amazing that you class the entry level beyer over things way above its class. Especially calling them detailed or analytical. To me (and it may be just me) these cops are just the opposite. Perhaps when compared to other consumer grade cans they are better, not sure. Your comparisons above are big calls though.

You must have miss-read my text. I wrote specifically that they are not super detailed or analytical and more suited for an average listener than an audiophile.
They are for the people who like the sound of a M50 and could trade slightly less detail for more smoothness and who dislike the sound of a K550 for being to thin ,canny spiky and boring.
The K167 where a technically better headphone but had a slightly unnatural treble and a sound not really suited for modern badly recorded music and low bitrate. With my binaural "audiophile" music the K167 where pretty good.
I feel the COP is the sound the Beats should have had. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #63 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The K167 where a technically better headphone but had a slightly unnatural treble and a sound not really suited for modern badly recorded music and low bitrate. With my binaural "audiophile" music the K167 where pretty good.

Sounds like the K167 is doing it's job well. This appears to be a problem for some people.

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #64 of 434
Hello, I'm a first-time buyer and non-educated to audiophile.  I wanted to change that (long story).
All my research and google questions lead me to Headfi and it's overwhelming with info.  Week after week of reading threads and reviews, then comparing to whatever mentioned to anything available locally.
Locally, this is my biggest problem.  I can't buy outside my country directly or even online.  Local online stores are alright.  But only a few official retailers.  Some products are available and even discontinued models are still existing.  But the mark up price.  It's difficult to finalize a purchase since there's no return/exchange policy, and no testing of products either.

By the time I saw Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro (somewhere online... can't remember how I found it), I threw away all my notes and data, comparisons, and researches.  Somehow this model feels like it's screaming my name for some reason.  But the price... Only 2 local shops sell them at $280!  But I digress...

I just came from the long Skullcandy Aviator thread.  Coming back to this thread, it made me think of a similar thing with the Aviator.
Beyerdynamics Custom One:  What if it was highly praised mostly because of the flexible features?  Some reviewers compared them to well-known models.  But I wonder if it was compared in accordance to the only settings they preferred?  Say, setting 3 and 4 are the most bassy.  So how does it compare to the known bassy headgear like Beyerdynamics DT770 or AiAiAi TM-1?  Or setting 2 which I observe is the more balanced part, and how does it compare to (I assume) more balanced ones like Sennheiser HD25-1-II?  Perhaps setting 3 vs the bit more bassy Audio Technica ATH-M50?  Maybe setting 1 with... the more sparkly headgear?

Please, I'm not asking for such tasks from someone, nor am I asking for trouble (it's my first post after all).  But I just thought; what if the reviewers gave praise to Custom One Pro because of it's flexibility, when after all, they only used that one setting they preferred?  Wouldn't that be like paying for more features that won't all be used anyway (it always makes me feel down seeing almost all of the new cable features cater only to i-devices).

And if someone would please be kind (especially Mr. Sweden), how does Custon One Pro compare to Aviator when it comes to sound quality?  I might be told they're of different league from each other but both were also described as "fun" and "okay" and "not for critical use" and "more for just listening to music."  And so far, I haven't read much about Custom One Pro's isolation performance.

Thank you.  Looking at shops online already makes me feel sorry for my piggy bank.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #65 of 434
Quote:

Sounds like the K167 is doing it's job well. This appears to be a problem for some people.

The problem is that people expect a super fun headphone with nice bass impact suited for electronic music whit the name Tiesto in it. The name is hurting the headphone in more ways the one. This is the reason I feel why quite a few people in the K167 thread have said it wasn't for them or I didn't like the signature. This is a headphone more for people with an acquired taste in sound.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #66 of 434
Have to raise this thread. As a owner of various beyer headphone, I compare it to a T50p, it's kinda in the same route and does sound a step better than the T50p. Still running in, and improvement is very noticeable.

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #67 of 434
Wow, comparing the entry level "fun" headphones from beyer-marketed with exchangeable graphics on the cups to Tesla models?
Either you got a very nice pair of COPs, or a very poor T50... Or my ears have really degraded suddenly at 31- which I suppose is possible.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #68 of 434
Quote:
Wow, comparing the entry level "fun" headphones from beyer-marketed with exchangeable graphics on the cups to Tesla models?
Either you got a very nice pair of COPs, or a very poor T50... Or my ears have really degraded suddenly at 31- which I suppose is possible.

Forgot to mention, I swapped the cable to Neotech OCC , dunno if it's the reason. Btw, the Greater China distributor gave-away the first 88 pairs with an upgrade cable from Dynamique... sounded better than the stock, much.

Also, the COP driver size/interior room is much bigger than T50p - it's normal to have a better soundstage and bass with the COP.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #69 of 434
The big thing I have found with the COP's is the amount of burn in time they need to get the best out of them.  To begin with I really wasn't impressed with the sound, which was quite horrible.  After a couple of hours they started to sound slightly more acceptable but for me it took 30+ hours before the sound started to sound decent and and the soundstage takes a lot of time to really develop.  I have had mine for about a month and a half and would say that it has taken all that time to really get the sound out of them which I am happy with.  The mids are still a little recessed but have really improved over time.  The sound has also really smoothed out as well,  as others have said, the sound is not the most detailed of any headphone I have ever heard but it is good.

I have changed the pleather pads for velour, which has improved the comfort and I am thinking of changing the cable, I have played with changing the cable over with my M-80 cable and found the sound to be noticeably louder, though I am not sure any better.  

The odd thing I have found for a fashion headphone is that they are not really practical for taking out around town.  The pads get very warm when walking around and the headphones are generally big and cumbersome.  If speaking to someone, I can't really put them around the neck without feeling like I am wearing a neck brace.  So in some ways these headphones feel like a bit of an enigma.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #72 of 434
I tried them recently.  In a word, mud.

To be fair, I did no homework before I tried them out.  I had no idea they have a sound adjustment switch.  I tend to be pretty observant, but I think I was a little nervous (in Fujiya Avic, with my crap Japanese language skills), so I missed it.  I was also on a tight schedule trying to demo as many pairs as possible.

The build quality is indeed sound.  Weighty, with ample use of metal along with sturdy plastic.

It's possible that one of the other settings may have suited my tastes, however, I don't generally subscribe to "customizable", one-size-fits-all products.  An EQ built into the headphones brings to mind a TV/VCR combo.  Beyerdynamic is certainly delivering the goods on other fronts, e.g. T70p, but I'll need to sit down with these again and futz with the switch before actually considering these.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #73 of 434
Quote:
I tried them recently.  In a word, mud.

I kind of agree with this, I didn't like the bass on these at all, although the bass switch is a solid idea. They feel like quality built headphones, and I'm sure some will like these...I just didn't. The price feels a bit to high to me ($200 Amazon), I'd feel better like $50 cheaper.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #74 of 434
Quote:
I kind of agree with this, I didn't like the bass on these at all, although the bass switch is a solid idea. They feel like quality built headphones, and I'm sure some will like these...I just didn't. The price feels a bit to high to me ($200 Amazon), I'd feel better like $50 cheaper.

SO its probably best to save my money or look at other headphones. What about the V-Moda M80's??

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #75 of 434
Quote:
SO its probably best to save my money or look at other headphones. What about the V-Moda M80's??

I don't agree with their assessment of the COP. The bass is not dry and fast like a higher end Beyer, but I never felt they where muddy. If the bass ports where all the way up they where muddy, but that s only for serious bass heads. This was maybe the first really "fun sounding" Beyer and I have listened to almost everything in the Beyer lineup from the DT770 Pro 80 to the T1.
I feel they got the tonality and smoothness right with this one, but this is not an analytical or technically prodigious headphone aimed at the people listening to classical music. Modern music is what they do best.
Some comment seem to be made by people listening to not fully burnt in headphones or where the ports are set to 4 where it do sound muddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back