Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Nov 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #47 of 434
First plate. Kind of rusty on my photoshop skills but it came out decent. Thinking about doing something different on the other side with same color scheme.

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #49 of 434
For anybody who picked up the Massdrop deal a few days ago, how long do they usually take to ship the item? I haven't received a confirmation or anything yet that the payment has gone completely through or that any order was placed.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #51 of 434
Quote:
Ha ha ha.... had a wee go at customization.

Just got some gloss photos printed, cutout round the metal plates with my 'stanley knife' and... voila

10 courtesy points to the first person to recognize the logo!

All I can say are that these headphones fit the logo perfectly. LOVE IT. enjoy them before Disney makes you hate them...jk...maybe ^_~

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #52 of 434
I bought a pair of these today, and I instantly fell in love with them. Probably because I have been using the DT770s for a couple of years and blew a driver yesterday so got these to fill in until I can replace it. 

Some observations... these are pretty bassy, I would never find myself using position 3 or 4. Position 1 is too bass shy, and position 2 is a little too bassy as can be seen from the graph (not sure how they can call it linear when the graph itself shows there is a little bass boost) but I can live with it.

Having said that, I find these better than the DT770s because they don't have the over bright top end, and seem a lot flatter overall (apart from the bass not being flat at any setting). They have a more rugged feel and they are easier to grip (if you use them on and off for 40 hours a week like I do in the studio, this is a big plus - I have physically injured my face several times taking the DT770s off).

The detachable lead is great, especially as I found the DT770 lead constantly got tangled up. I am gonna make a lead to match all the other leads in the studio :) the side panels are also a lot of fun by the look of it!

My one gripe with the sound of these headphones is that the transients are a little lacklustre. This is good for nice relaxing listening, but for studio use they just need to be a little more snappy. Hopefully they will loosen up in the coming weeks as I wear them in, and if they do, I will definitely be keeping them for monitoring dub plate cuts, as they shut out a lot of the ambient noise from the cutting head and are perfect for what I do!

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #55 of 434
I did a direct comparison with the Momentum, AKG K167, Focal Spirit One and a D1001 and I found the COP pretty impressive.
I have listened to hundreds of more headphones and have a pretty clear mental image of at least 50 more headphones sound signature and technical abilities.
Of the 4 headphones The Momentum was the superior one. It has a really full, enjoyable laidback sound and still managed to have nice sparkle in the treble. Reminded me of the LCD-2 in that regard. Nicely detailed, but the details was never forced by a unnatural spike in the upper mids or treble. Nice soundstage, not the deepest but with good separation. This headphones works with pretty much all genres like a HD600/650.

Now on to the COP. This headphones do very little wrong and a lot right in my opinion. It reminded me of a M50 with better bass impact, larger soundstage, slightly less warm mids and no annoying 9k spike. According to my memory of the M50 the COP is slightly less detailed, but I can take slightly less detail in exchange for more smoothness.  It has pretty good focus and speed and still managed to sound full and fun. This is a departure from the normal colder and thinner Beyer studio-like tonality and if you are looking for a analytical headphones this is not for you. This is not a headphone suited for studio monitoring as it's not that great at showing bad mixes or bad quality sound. I feel the change in tonality is a step in the right direction for Beyer however.
One of the best tings about this headphone is the adjustable bass even tho for me personally only 2 settings works good. This is good when genre hopping and makes it an easier recommendation to novices.  
When it comes to genres I feel modern music do this can more justice. Electronic, pop, rock and hip hip is the forte, especially electronic music IMO. For "audiophile" music I can understand why some may prefer a K167.
I don't understand the person who said this was a boring headphone. K550, DT990, SA5000 and all Etymotics are boring headphones.
If you where disappointed by the thin and slightly spiky sound of the K550, anemic T70 or the unnatural, metallic and horribly spiky sound of almost all Ultrasone models this is a more safe buy. This is a natural sounding headphone in comparison and more natural sounding in the treble than the K167 too.
I would liked to have slightly more air and clarity, and slightly more tightness in the bass, but I understand why they went in this direction. I don't feel it lacks clarity or detail especially, but for 200$ in the year 2013, maybe it's not the final say.  To me this headphone is a winner overall. This is a headphone for an average listener using a portable device or on a computer without expensive gear. 
If anyone is interested in a more detailed comparison to one of the three or any other headphones I perhaps may be of service.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #56 of 434
Its interesting just how subjective headphones are. No ears are the same i guess. I tried these out two days ago against the pretty much entire beyer range (including Telsa), the new philips thing, the fischer range, and a few hours earlier had auditioned most of the ultrasone range, against the dt770 LE. I used the same 4-5 tracks moslty hip hop and electronica, but i also use reference songs from other genres that i constantly test with, all amped on an e17.

I found the COPs to be extremely muddy undefined, and underwhelming next to any of the headphones listed, but more so next to a DT line since these are where most will compare them, and im a DT fan:D. The bass was just mooshy rumble, the highs were rolled of so hard i thought they were damaged, but surprisingly if the nasal signature was fixed you can feel some nice mids hidden under all the other noise. 

Perhaps if i heard these first i might have liked them more, but i didnt. Next to ANY other Beyer these in my humble opinion really fail ( i own DT770). Next to k167 (which i own) these also fall short, I couldnt find a direct comparison that was similar to draw a paralel view. They were like a grossly overweight kid in all the latest fashion desperately trying to show you how well he can breakdance. I took them off quickly and tried not to comment on them to the store owner, it was the same kind of shame.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #57 of 434
Quote:
I did a direct comparison with the Momentum, AKG K167, Focal Spirit One and a D1001 and I found the COP pretty impressive.

Poor you 
frown.gif

K550, DT990, SA5000 and all Etymotics are boring headphones.

Yeah whatever..

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #58 of 434

Quote:
Its interesting just how subjective headphones are. No ears are the same i guess. I tried these out two days ago against the pretty much entire beyer range (including Telsa), the new philips thing, the fischer range, and a few hours earlier had auditioned most of the ultrasone range, against the dt770 LE. I used the same 4-5 tracks moslty hip hop and electronica, but i also use reference songs from other genres that i constantly test with, all amped on an e17.

I found the COPs to be extremely muddy undefined, and underwhelming next to any of the headphones listed, but more so next to a DT line since these are where most will compare them, and im a DT fan:D. The bass was just mooshy rumble, the highs were rolled of so hard i thought they were damaged, but surprisingly if the nasal signature was fixed you can feel some nice mids hidden under all the other noise. 

Perhaps if i heard these first i might have liked them more, but i didnt. Next to ANY other Beyer these in my humble opinion really fail ( i own DT770). Next to k167 (which i own) these also fall short, I couldnt find a direct comparison that was similar to draw a paralel view. They were like a grossly overweight kid in all the latest fashion desperately trying to show you how well he can breakdance. I took them off quickly and tried not to comment on them to the store owner, it was the same kind of shame.

You know there are 4 bass settings right?
biggrin.gif

Well I'm not a fan of the normal Beyer cold tonality and unnatural sounding nature. I still would love to compare the COP them with the 770 LE.
With a nice tube amp the T1 is a pretty good headphone though.
The K167 falls short when it comes to presenting a fully engaging sound with hip hop and electronics. They where also too 2D for me taste. Also they where lacking in bass impact.
With jazz, instrumentals, fast pasted metal the K167 was superior

Quote:

Poor you 
frown.gif

Yeah whatever..

Poor you having to listen to stuff that is designed to pick music apart and not to enjoy it. No one can think of SA5000 or any Etymotics as fun. Even fans don't think they are fun. Those people listen to gear and listen to sounds. Not music.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #59 of 434
Yeah whatever...

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #60 of 434
The four bass settings are just ports. Muddy, muddier, and offensive (this coming from a guy who LOVES beyer and has DT770 as a go to can).

Again, ears vary. I do find it amazing that you class the entry level beyer over things way above its class. Especially calling them detailed or analytical. To me (and it may be just me) these cops are just the opposite. Perhaps when compared to other consumer grade cans they are better, not sure. Your comparisons above are big calls though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back