Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Dec 24, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #2,236 of 2,669
I've been listening to various music with the Amiron Home exclusively for hours each day for the last six days, and they're a keeper. I still prefer the DT-1990 for studio jazz and progressive rock/metal music that has some "space" in the music and isn't congested with a "wall of sound". The DT-1990 is amazing at bringing forward details and exposing all the little things in the music that you might otherwise miss, and I like that.

The Amiron Home, I'm finding, is better for live music recordings regardless of genre, and I'm rediscovering many live albums that I haven't listened to in quite some time. It's also better than the DT-1990 (to my ear) for music that is more straight-forward and likes to be played loud, like much of the classic rock and metal to which I listen. It does a great job of bringing forward any driving bass lines and vocals as well as the subtle details and textures, while keeping everything "in check" for a very comfortable listening experience.

Q: Has anyone found an affordable (~$50 or less) balanced cable with a 4.4mm jack that works with the Amiron Home?

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #2,237 of 2,669
Now with 300% more treble!
The T-90 is infamous for its CRIMINALLY REVEALING treble.

And that’s exactly why I love the T-90 so much.

Nothing is more effective than the T-90 when paired with izotope/BiasPeakPro/etc, for fully cleaning up and enhancing vinyl-sourced samples when tracking sample-based hip hop music.

Eager to test these.
Been out of the headphone loop for some years, but I’m gonna catch up ferociously for what’s new within my wheelhouse (neutral, flat, detailed, resolving, revealing)

Thanks to everyone here reporting🔎

Jan 1, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #2,238 of 2,669
I'm currently using HD600's with an amp, but want to be able to listen in other rooms and thinking about using my Motorola Moto G8 as a source with Tidal Hifi.

The HD600's do sound pretty good straight from my phone, although I would like a bit more volume. How do people think the Amiron's would compare? I have listened very briefly and liked what I heard, but didn't have my 600's to hand.
Are there any Amiron users here that are using with a mobile phone?

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #2,239 of 2,669
The T-90 is infamous for its CRIMINALLY REVEALING treble.

And that’s exactly why I love the T-90 so much.

Nothing is more effective than the T-90 when paired with izotope/BiasPeakPro/etc, for fully cleaning up and enhancing vinyl-sourced samples when tracking sample-based hip hop music.

Eager to test these.
Been out of the headphone loop for some years, but I’m gonna catch up ferociously for what’s new within my wheelhouse (neutral, flat, detailed, resolving, revealing)

Thanks to everyone here reporting🔎
Judging by your comments and affinity for treble I’d wager an arm and a leg that what you really want…is the DT1990 Pro with the analytical pads installed👍
The Amiron home is much warmer and forgiving.
I personally much prefer the warmth of the Amiron..but if you’re looking for something flat/neutral with the type of treble forward sound you’ve been describing, you’re much better off with the DT1990.

On the other hand, if someone wants a Beyer tuned for flat/neutral sound without the classic surge of Beyer energy in the treble? You should get the DT900X like me which sounds almost exactly like a DT1990 (with analytical pads) but more importantly, at least for my ears, without the massive treble peak and with slightly better subbass extension:)

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #2,240 of 2,669
^I have been eyeing some of the newer BeyerDynamic models.

But I’m curious where we can acquire the TYGR acoustic fleece by itself ? I looked on Beyer’s parts site and didn’t see them for sale.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #2,241 of 2,669
^I have been eyeing some of the newer BeyerDynamic models.

But I’m curious where we can acquire the TYGR acoustic fleece by itself ? I looked on Beyer’s parts site and didn’t see them for sale.
Beyerdynamic website has problems with technicial logistic provider. Untill they sort it out, we can't buy anything. I'm really curious about what caused this.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #2,242 of 2,669
They came early (just after noon today) and I've been listening to them for about 2 hours. I need more time to fully evaluate, but the early impression is that I'm listening to music in a well treated (acoustically) room with a good set of speakers. The sound stage is wide, the vocals are forward, and the details are present but not in-your-face analytical. The mid-bass hump is a bit much, so I'm hoping that will even out a bit with some time.

So far though, I like it. Different experience from the DT-1990 (with balanced pads), but still very nice. :)

After listening to these for a little over a month (many, many hours), I've come to love them. Paired with the iFi Zen DAC v2 / iFi Zen CAN stack with the XBass & 3D options on, they sound amazing. For some reason, the 3D feature tames the bass hump a bit and really expands / opens the sound stage even more. Outstanding! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jan 24, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #2,243 of 2,669
And I actually thought I could go an entire month without purchasing something new... I've ordered a 4.4mm balance cable from AudiophileNinja on Etsy, and I should have it in about a week. It will be interesting to see if I can detect any changes in the sound quality over the standard cable.

Jan 24, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #2,244 of 2,669
Anyone down-under able to get new ear pads for the Amiron's? I've tried DT990 pads and they just aren't the same sonically!

I've actually been looking for a while now but I can never find them here in Australia?

Does the EU site ship to Aus?

Mar 10, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #2,246 of 2,669
I admittedly haven't listened to the Amiron Homes for a long time due to the stock pads becoming flat and couldn't source any new stock. I did try some fresh DT990Pro pads on the Amiron but it didn't sound the same at all!

I had ordered some new pads for my Focal Elear before they died (Left speaker failed!), so I decided to pull out the Amiron's and try on the Aftermarket Elear pads:

2022-03-10.jpg2022-03-10 (1).jpg

These are Perforated leather (Synthetic).

As for the sound and comfort. Just WOW!

Comfort is perfect, my ears no longer touch the innards or the driver and just feels more premium and plush!

Sound is full-bodied and with thumping quick bass! Treble is excellent and dare I say sweet and detailed! Imaging is typical Beyer here and is pinpoint! From memory, I love the Amiron's more with these pads than stock! Back in the rotation and back in love with the Amiron's!

:tumbler_glass:

P.s. For reference to the pads: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174976681122

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,247 of 2,669
I recently got a pair of Grado SR225x to act as a counterpart to the Sony MDR-7520 I have at home. So I've been comparing those a lot over the past few days, and both have their pros and cons. The 7520 have a lot of bass depth and really fantastic soundstage for closed headphones (not exactly wide, but lots of distinct layering), but they can be a little bit muddy and congested at times. The 225x have that wonderful open sound that Grado is known for, with great transient attack and a surprisingly natural sounding frequency response (much better than any Grados I've tried before), but are nowhere near as comfortable as the Sony headphones.

But yesterday I worked from my office... where I keep my Amiron Home headphones. I spent much of the work days with music on, and appreciated with a new perspective just how goddamn good these headphones are. The bass depth of the 7520, with even better soundstage and comfort. The openness of the 225x, with also a natural sounding frequency response (although more concentration on midbass, whereas the Grados concentrate more on mids and midtreble). It's like if I were able to take some of the best characteristics the 7520, some of the best characteristics the 225x, add a supreme level of comfort, and put them together in a single pair of headphones.

Just so, so good. Every time I listen the the Amirons, especially in comparison to my other headphones (which are also excellent in their own right), I'm impressed all over again.

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #2,248 of 2,669
I bought the Amiron a year ago, returned them eventually because they sounded so different, bought them again soon after because I somehow missed them. It took me a while to connect to these headphones, they are different to any other headphones I owned. They sink in so well, they bring the music together. They make everything sound great.
Having listened to many audiophile headphones over the years, looking for detail and seperation of sounds/instruments and soundstage detail, I've never listened to another headphone that connects to the music as well as the Amiron does. The Sennheiser HD650 is still great, the dt1990 (with treble filter) is still amazing, but the Amiron gets most of the listening time.
And they are so comfortable, too.
These days I'm so curious about the T1.3.

Apr 5, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #2,249 of 2,669
I bought the Amiron a year ago, returned them eventually because they sounded so different, bought them again soon after because I somehow missed them. It took me a while to connect to these headphones, they are different to any other headphones I owned. They sink in so well, they bring the music together. They make everything sound great.
Having listened to many audiophile headphones over the years, looking for detail and seperation of sounds/instruments and soundstage detail, I've never listened to another headphone that connects to the music as well as the Amiron does. The Sennheiser HD650 is still great, the dt1990 (with treble filter) is still amazing, but the Amiron gets most of the listening time.
And they are so comfortable, too.
These days I'm so curious about the T1.3.

For what's it's worth I bought the t1.3 to compare to Amiron Home and greatly prefered Amiron Home, I thought it was just the better sounding headphone, but that was our established after quite a bit of time. Sold the T1 Amiron stays for good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back