beyer t70 & t70p NEW!
Dec 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #377 of 623

Quote:
The T70 is much more sensitive, it only needs about one sixth of the voltage for the same SPL. That makes noise and hum that does not depend on the volume setting much more audible, because you have to turn the volume down for a listenable level, but the noise does not decrease with it proportionally. High impedance/low sensitivity can be an advantage sometimes
normal_smile%20.gif

I think you are correct.  The noise level doesn't change as the volume knob is turned up with source muted.  So, not hum as I said before, but rather a high noise floor.  Might be able to correct this in the Crack amp by trying other tubes.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #378 of 623
I had noise issues when I used to built stereo receivers. I usually reheat all the solders joints making sure that I have a good connection. That will fix the noise issues half the time especially in the tuner section.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #379 of 623
The T70's just arrived. They're currently hooked up through the Yamaha RX-V659 receiver gettin' loose.

After the first album through them I notice 2 things right away. 1) They are very revealing. 2) They lean bright, or course. They definitely don't emphasize the bass. I mean, I can hear deep, tonal sub bass/bass in tracks that have that.

I've got a stack of CD's including Pink Floyd, Animal Collective, Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus, and Vivaldi. Will report more by Tuesday.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #381 of 623
I like the T70 very much. It has one of the more comfortable for the degree of external sound isolation available on the market. My Senn HD380 feels like your head is in a Vise-Grip. The T70 even have a bit better external sound isolation as compared to the HD380. My Denon D2000 does not do a good job of isolating external sounds as compared to the T70.
I finally understand why the bass on the T70 was a bit strange when I first heard the T70 at the RMAF show. The bass presentation is one of the most deepest and neutral bass extension I ever heard in a headphone. The bass is not punchy or thumpy like some other headphones. I am using a custom tube amp built by Glenn really brings out the best in this headphone. The T70 is sensitive to tube rolling but I find a wonderful gray or smoked glass Navy 7N7 tube made in April of 1942. The 7N7 helps to extend the sub bass much deeper on the T70 than my Sennheiser cans and the shielded glass helps to block any low level interference.  The Denon D2000 bass just sounds muddy and the HD800 at the RMAF sounded a bit synthetic to me. I getting the feeling that some may be confused by clean bass with less bass. Clean sub bass is less “noisy” or less prominent than bass with some distortion. It was my  Fostex T50 that comes closest to bass extension as compared to the T70. The tympani sound much deeper and cleaner with the T70. The midrange is very good but not quite to the level of detail that I can get with my Stax. The only real sound negative that I find is that the cymbals are missing just a bit of the sound spectrum. The wires for the cups are a bit exposed and no R and L marking on the phones but since it is a single cord type less of an issue. I am just glad that I had a chance to try the T70 at the RMAF show because I was not planning to get a Beyerdynamic headphone and the T70 changed my mind.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #382 of 623

Quote:
I like the T70 very much. It has one of the more comfortable for the degree of external sound isolation available on the market. My Senn HD380 feels like your head is in a Vise-Grip. The T70 even have a bit better external sound isolation as compared to the HD380. My Denon D2000 does not do a good job of isolating external sounds as compared to the T70.
I finally understand why the bass on the T70 was a bit strange when I first heard the T70 at the RMAF show. The bass presentation is one of the most deepest and neutral bass extension I ever heard in a headphone. The bass is not punchy or thumpy like some other headphones. I am using a custom tube amp built by Glenn really brings out the best in this headphone. The T70 is sensitive to tube rolling but I find a wonderful gray or smoked glass Navy 7N7 tube made in April of 1942. The 7N7 helps to extend the sub bass much deeper on the T70 than my Sennheiser cans and the shielded glass helps to block any low level interference.  The Denon D2000 bass just sounds muddy and the HD800 at the RMAF sounded a bit synthetic to me. I getting the feeling that some may confused by clean bass with less bass. Clean sub bass is less “noisy” or less prominent than bass with some distortion. It was my  Fostex T50 that comes closest to bass extension as compared to the T70. The tympani sound much deeper and cleaner with the T70. The midrange is very good but not quite to the level of detail that I can get with my Stax. The only real sound negative that I find is that the cymbals are missing just a bit of the sound spectrum. The wires for the cups are a bit exposed and no R and L marking on the phones but since it is a single cord type less of an issue. I am just glad that I had a chance to try the T70 at the RMAF show because I was not planning to get a Beyerdynamic headphone and the T70 changed my mind.

Nice write up.  Great explanation of bass on them.  Coming from headphones with gobs of bass, I really love the difference in these.  I ordered the gel pads today to see if it makes a difference in comfort and sound for me.  

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #383 of 623

Quote:
I finally understand why the bass on the T70 was a bit strange when I first heard the T70 at the RMAF show. The bass presentation is one of the most deepest and neutral bass extension I ever heard in a headphone. The bass is not punchy or thumpy like some other headphones. I am using a custom tube amp built by Glenn really brings out the best in this headphone. The T70 is sensitive to tube rolling but I find a wonderful gray or smoked glass Navy 7N7 tube made in April of 1942. The 7N7 helps to extend the sub bass much deeper on the T70 than my Sennheiser cans and the shielded glass helps to block any low level interference.  The Denon D2000 bass just sounds muddy and the HD800 at the RMAF sounded a bit synthetic to me. I getting the feeling that some may be confused by clean bass with less bass. Clean sub bass is less “noisy” or less prominent than bass with some distortion. It was my  Fostex T50 that comes closest to bass extension as compared to the T70. The tympani sound much deeper and cleaner with the T70. The midrange is very good but not quite to the level of detail that I can get with my Stax. The only real sound negative that I find is that the cymbals are missing just a bit of the sound spectrum. The wires for the cups are a bit exposed and no R and L marking on the phones but since it is a single cord type less of an issue. I am just glad that I had a chance to try the T70 at the RMAF show because I was not planning to get a Beyerdynamic headphone and the T70 changed my mind.

I used to think the super thumpy bass of my Ultrasone HFI-780 was good, but I'm really enjoying the natural bass of the T70.

And as you said tube amps really bring out the beauty of the bass in the T70. My Little Dot MK IV SE with WE 403b tubes sounds amazing! I've got some M8161 tubes in the mail, I can't wait to hear how they sound.

The song "Red Hot Chili Peppers - Factory of Faith" is something that must be heard.

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #384 of 623

Quote:
I used to think the super thumpy bass of my Ultrasone HFI-780 was good, but I'm really enjoying the natural bass of the T70.

And as you said tube amps really bring out the beauty of the bass in the T70. My Little Dot MK IV SE with WE 403b tubes sounds amazing! I've got some M8161 tubes in the mail, I can't wait to hear how they sound.

The song "Red Hot Chili Peppers - Factory of Faith" is something that must be heard.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #385 of 623
Thought I'd chime in here...  I'm really enjoying my T70s, I listen to my T1s and LCD-2s at home and my W1000x and T70 at work - I was hoping the T70 would be a nice upgrade to the DT770/600 I used to own (and liked) and they are clearly better all all regards (except perhaps weight).  The bass is not boomy obviously but they are not bass-shy for me at all...  

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #386 of 623
A quick question: Is anyone noticing channel imbalance on these cans? The search function seems to indicate that Beyerdynamic has quality control issues with keeping channel balance on the T1. The treble pans around during sine sweeps, and the imaging is a bit "twisted" when I listen to music through these cans. It's kinda frustrating, when these cans have so many other strong points.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #387 of 623

Quote:
A quick question: Is anyone noticing channel imbalance on these cans? The search function seems to indicate that Beyerdynamic has quality control issues with keeping channel balance on the T1. The treble pans around during sine sweeps, and the imaging is a bit "twisted" when I listen to music through these cans. It's kinda frustrating, when these cans have so many other strong points.

FYI...there are no channel imbalance issues on the T1s. Actually they are so precisely paired that if one driver goes, they need to replace both.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #389 of 623

Quote:

[size=11pt]There are many reasons that that the treble can pan between the drivers besides differences of the driver. Placement of the headphones on the head can make a difference. I usually put the headphones a bit more forward so that the center of the driver is a bit forward of the ear canal. We normally hear the sounds more in front of the head not to have the high frequencies beam directly into ear. We also use the outer ear or the Pinna to collect sounds from the front into the ear canal. It is normal for each ear to have a bit of a difference in frequency response. In the normal acoustical environment the crosstalk of sounds between the ears can make the frequency differences between the ears less obvious to the user. However using the headphones where there is normally less crosstalk can make the differences between each ear frequency response easier to hear. Another issue can arise if you use IEM’s much of the time. Using IEM can built up ear wax faster than headphones and too much wax in the ear can certainly reduce the high frequency response of the ear. I recommended that if you use IEM’s daily is that you get your ears cleaned by a doctor on annual basics.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back