beyer t70 & t70p NEW!
Dec 7, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #361 of 623
ugh can't believe I missed that deal! they are back up to $525 on amazon 
frown.gif
 damn

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #362 of 623
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to narrow down my headphone search, and came across the T70p. My budget for headphones is $500-600, so this series is within my grasp. My problem/question is that I can't get much feedback on what headphone may fit my tastes.

I'm looking for a closed headphone for use at home and work that won't leak much sound (no open headphones). I'm listening to 320kbps MP3 and FLAC rips as well as 24/96 downloads. My main music tastes are alternative and hard rock, grunge, and metal (Smashing Pumpkins, Megadeth, Alice in Chains, 311, etc).

I've listened to the Denon 1001 and 5000, both have too much bass for my liking. The B&W P5 I heard in a shop was the same way- too much mid and bass emphasis. I listened to the Grado SR225 and admired the treble capabilities of those. So now I'm kind of between these and maybe the Shure SRH940 and 840.

Should I just blow the whole budget on a T70p or should I get "lesser" headphones plus an amp? Would it be OK out of an iPod until I can upgrade my source? Thanks for your insight and experiences!

-Tyler

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #363 of 623

Quote:
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to narrow down my headphone search, and came across the T70p. My budget for headphones is $500-600, so this series is within my grasp. My problem/question is that I can't get much feedback on what headphone may fit my tastes.

I'm looking for a closed headphone for use at home and work that won't leak much sound (no open headphones). I'm listening to 320kbps MP3 and FLAC rips as well as 24/96 downloads. My main music tastes are alternative and hard rock, grunge, and metal (Smashing Pumpkins, Megadeth, Alice in Chains, 311, etc).

I've listened to the Denon 1001 and 5000, both have too much bass for my liking. The B&W P5 I heard in a shop was the same way- too much mid and bass emphasis. I listened to the Grado SR225 and admired the treble capabilities of those. So now I'm kind of between these and maybe the Shure SRH940 and 840.

Should I just blow the whole budget on a T70p or should I get "lesser" headphones plus an amp? Would it be OK out of an iPod until I can upgrade my source? Thanks for your insight and experiences!

-Tyler

I reviewed the T70, not the "P", but I did not find them very suited for rock music in general, with a few exceptions of course.
The guitars just didn't come out right for me, only album I liked was Primus latest release.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #364 of 623

Quote:
Hey everyone,

-Tyler

I have the T 70 P.  I also owned the SR225 and loved those with rock.  I can't a/b them since the Grado's are gone but from memory, the Grado's were better for rock music.  I've read some people saying the T 70 lack bass, I do not find that with the P model.  It's not abundant by no means but it has the perfect impact and a nice sub-bass presence.  It's a nice all around phone.  I love with acoustic tracks, it shines with vocals and does well with electronic and metal/rock as well.  I use it with my ipod and it drives it with no problems at all.  

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #365 of 623
My T70p is straight out of the box, so take this note with a grain of salt... but so far, these cans are better with classical and jazz than they are with rock. I would not say that they are "not suitable for rock," but I would say that there are probably better options for closed cans if rock music is your primary genre.

I listen to mostly classical and jazz at work, so I'm very much enjoying the T70p at the moment.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #368 of 623
 According to frequency charts the HD-25 has more mid bass and it is a on the ear can not like the around the ear of the T70. The T50p is more comparable to the HD25 size wise and have greater portability.  

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #369 of 623

Hey Guys,

I'm surprised by this, but the hum of the Bottlehead Crack tube amp with my new 250 ohm T70s is noticeable.  It is not obtrusive, but I can still hear it while the music is playing.  Have never noticed any hum with the Crack when using my 600 ohm DT770s.  I had to roll in a another tube amp that uses output transformers for listening to the T70s.

Just an FYI for those looking for an amp to use with the T70 250 ohm.

Scott

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #370 of 623
Quote:

Hey Guys,

I'm surprised by this, but the hum of the Bottlehead Crack tube amp with my new 250 ohm T70s is noticeable.  It is not obtrusive, but I can still hear it while the music is playing.  Have never noticed any hum with the Crack when using my 600 ohm DT770s.

The T70 is much more sensitive, it only needs about one sixth of the voltage for the same SPL. That makes noise and hum that does not depend on the volume setting much more audible, because you have to turn the volume down for a listenable level, but the noise does not decrease with it proportionally. High impedance/low sensitivity can be an advantage sometimes
normal_smile%20.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #371 of 623
Moodyrn, I'm a little confused.  Didn't you say the bass improved when you pushed on the cups to push the drivers closer to your ear?  If that's the case, why would you stuff the pads with cotton to do the opposite?  Have you tried putting some tape around the pads?  This would help hold bass in and could make the difference even if it doesn't look awesome.  It could at least show you potential for a different set of pads. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #372 of 623
Let me explain it a little better. The bass issue isn't the drivers being too far away. It's the pads not sealing. When I push the cups in, the pads would seal so the bass wasn't leaking out. When I put cotton behind(not stuffing) the pads, it was the same because it made the cups tighter against my head. But it's all a non issue now since I'm able to get a good seal with the pads(finally). I guess beyer didn't have brothers in mind when they designed these. After cutting my hair off I got an excellent seal. I spent a little time with Brent(The Wuss) the other night and he had no problem getting a seal. But I decided to sell these since I like my d7000 with lawton cups a little better. But I still think they are excellent cans, especially for anyone whose already a fan of the beyer sound.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #373 of 623

Quote:
The T70 is much more sensitive, it only needs about one sixth of the voltage for the same SPL. That makes noise and hum that does not depend on the volume setting much more audible, because you have to turn the volume down for a listenable level, but the noise does not decrease with it proportionally. High impedance/low sensitivity can be an advantage sometimes
normal_smile%20.gif

These cans are very sensitive. It surprising just how sensitive they are. They can get very loud straight out of an ipod. But don't sound nearly as good as they do when used with a high quality amp. Out of my tc tube amp, 8:00 gets the same volume my 25ohm denons does at 10:00. But they do respond very well out of higher end amps. They can sound a bit bright out of lesser amps, but out of Brent's peak/volcano, they sounded smooth with just a slight tilt in the treble region. But the slight tilt wasn't harsh and sounded effortless and lifelike.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #374 of 623
 I just received my T70 and I noticed that the after the first night the phones are becoming much more sensitive. I did the test of pushing on the cups to see if the bass will increase but I did not noticed much change. If my hair was long and more curly I may notice more of a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back