beyer t70 & t70p NEW!
Jan 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #406 of 623
There is no need or justification whatsoever.. I have both versions and both are very good...
I like the 32ohms better because I think it has a faster sound..

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #407 of 623

Quote:
I do not see the reason for Beyer to make a third version of the T70 at 600 ohms since the sensitivity of the T70 is very high and quite easy for a tube amp to drive them. The T70 at 250 ohms is more like 300 to 600 ohms according to Inner Fidelity measurements.

I use my T70's with my LD MK IV SE and it sounds amazing.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #408 of 623
Where are people buying their gel ear pads in Europe? I Know BHP&V has them in US.

Can't seem to find them for a decent price in Germany or UK.

Would really appreciate some tips.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #409 of 623
Feb 12, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #411 of 623
I am still waiting for my T70p ordered right before Christmas. Still four weeks delivery time. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #413 of 623
No. I ordered from a Danish dealer. But I can see on the Beyerdynamic website that it also says 4 weeks delivery time.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #414 of 623
I own the T70p since a month or so now in order to get something that sounds as good as my DT1350 but more comfy...

So the story is:

- When I got them I noticed excessive high frequency (a peak between 8 and 9 kHz), recessed middle range (not as much as the D7000 though) and lack of bass impact. But I also noticed an incredible transparency and no distortion at all, even when the complexity of the music was extreme (big modern orchestras). I was unhappy and disappointed anyway, as matter of fact I wanted to sell immediately, I couldn't send them back to beyerdynamic in Germany. (I am glad I didn't)

- I tried different other headphones (spending a lot in shipping costs, sending them back!) nothing, I couldn't find anything satisfactory or close to the transparency and the engaging sound of the DT1350.

- At some point I had a crazy idea trying to play around with the earpads in order to get a better impact. I reversed the earpads and I put some electrical tape to hold them in place. Wow not anymore a recessed middle range and not anymore sibilant highs, now the middle range is exactly like the DT1350 but tons more transparent and realistic (realistic in the sense that the timbre of the instruments is very close to what it should be), the lack of highs in the DT1350 is solved and also it is envolving as much as the DT1350. Still lack of impact in the bass range comparing with the DT1350 but after covering the reversed pads with some leather and inserting some foam on the top part that goes around the ears I almost solved the problem...now the impact is a lot better and as before the frequency is flat until 10 Hz. Also with leather wrapping and the little ring of foam, now they sound very spacious (airy) with clear perception of the ambience.

- So the little silly mod worked perfectly (trust me I tried a lot more things but nothing worked so good as this one, it is really a night and day difference in the frequency response), the problem is that the headphones now look a bit ugly (obviously). Being very happy of the sound I said to myself "why don't you get another type of earpads?" well I bought some genuine leather earpads for aviation £31!!. I couldn't wait to try them out...so once I got the beautiful pads it was a complete disaster, the middle range was almost disappeared, a lot of confusion in the bass range, total lack of cohesion of the frequencies. At that time I was convinced that the problem was caused because the inner part of the pads (the plastic one) was completely sealed, so instead of packing back the cushions and resell them, I decided to ruin everything and make some holes on the plastic inner part of the pads...very very bad Idea, nothing changed and the result was £31 wasted.

- At the moment with this little mod  I am very very happy about the amazing transparency, the tonal balance and the comfort of the headphones. I can't figure out at all why the reversed ear pads trick works and nothing else does, all negative effects for all the other modifications. I was thinking to get some velour pads to roughly match the reversed earpad behaviour (of the standard T70 earpads), but I don't know which one of them to get, I definitely don't want other people around me listening to my music so I am not sure the velour pads would work in this sense. Allegedly there are two different types, one for open cans (dt880) and another one for closed ones (dt770). At the moment I don't want to waste other money so I'll stick with the ugly but very effective solution.

At the end of the day in my humble opinion:

1. Don't don't!! buy aviation earpads neither leather nor gel stuff, (they are basically tubes) I think those are designed for good isolation rather than for acoustic properties. I can with no doubt say that (at least with the leather pads) the sound gets really muddy and everything is totally ruined, this is how it sounds to my ears.

2. The headphones with this little "reversing" trick sound truly fantastic (I invite all the owners of the T70p to do this little trick, I'd like some opinion, no insults please :) ).

3. The T70ps sound very good just out of a normal player although I did notice a significant improvement using my Nuforce DAC/amplifier.

4. I have tried a bunch of other full size sealed cans including the famous D7000, in my opinion there is no comparison in terms of trasparency and acoustic instruments timbre, although I have to say that other headphones surpass easily the T70 in the bass impact performance (I am not saying that they are not punchy enough, but they are just right) for the rest I couldn't find anything comparable, with this trick they sound a lot better than the DT1350, also because of the superior ambience.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #415 of 623

I ordered directly from Beyerdynamic in Germany, the headphones arrived exactly after 7 working days...was I lucky?

Quote:
Quote:
I am still waiting for my T70p ordered right before Christmas. Still four weeks delivery time. 

Auch! Ordered directly from Beyer in Germany?

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #416 of 623
Great impression thank you!

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your reverse pad mod? it would greatly help understand how it was done. Thanks!  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I own the T70p since a month or so now in order to get something that sounds as good as my DT1350 but more comfy...

So the story is:

- When I got them I noticed excessive high frequency (a peak between 8 and 9 kHz), recessed middle range (not as much as the D7000 though) and lack of bass impact. But I also noticed an incredible transparency and no distortion at all, even when the complexity of the music was extreme (big modern orchestras). I was unhappy and disappointed anyway, as matter of fact I wanted to sell immediately, I couldn't send them back to beyerdynamic in Germany. (I am glad I didn't)

- I tried different other headphones (spending a lot in shipping costs, sending them back!) nothing, I couldn't find anything satisfactory or close to the transparency and the engaging sound of the DT1350.

- At some point I had a crazy idea trying to play around with the earpads in order to get a better impact. I reversed the earpads and I put some electrical tape to hold them in place. Wow not anymore a recessed middle range and not anymore sibilant highs, now the middle range is exactly like the DT1350 but tons more transparent and realistic (realistic in the sense that the timbre of the instruments is very close to what it should be), the lack of highs in the DT1350 is solved and also it is envolving as much as the DT1350. Still lack of impact in the bass range comparing with the DT1350 but after covering the reversed pads with some leather and inserting some foam on the top part that goes around the ears I almost solved the problem...now the impact is a lot better and as before the frequency is flat until 10 Hz. Also with leather wrapping and the little ring of foam, now they sound very spacious (airy) with clear perception of the ambience.

- So the little silly mod worked perfectly (trust me I tried a lot more things but nothing worked so good as this one, it is really a night and day difference in the frequency response), the problem is that the headphones now look a bit ugly (obviously). Being very happy of the sound I said to myself "why don't you get another type of earpads?" well I bought some genuine leather earpads for aviation £31!!. I couldn't wait to try them out...so once I got the beautiful pads it was a complete disaster, the middle range was almost disappeared, a lot of confusion in the bass range, total lack of cohesion of the frequencies. At that time I was convinced that the problem was caused because the inner part of the pads (the plastic one) was completely sealed, so instead of packing back the cushions and resell them, I decided to ruin everything and make some holes on the plastic inner part of the pads...very very bad Idea, nothing changed and the result was £31 wasted.

- At the moment with this little mod  I am very very happy about the amazing transparency, the tonal balance and the comfort of the headphones. I can't figure out at all why the reversed ear pads trick works and nothing else does, all negative effects for all the other modifications. I was thinking to get some velour pads to roughly match the reversed earpad behaviour (of the standard T70 earpads), but I don't know which one of them to get, I definitely don't want other people around me listening to my music so I am not sure the velour pads would work in this sense. Allegedly there are two different types, one for open cans (dt880) and another one for closed ones (dt770). At the moment I don't want to waste other money so I'll stick with the ugly but very effective solution.

At the end of the day in my humble opinion:

1. Don't don't!! buy aviation earpads neither leather nor gel stuff, (they are basically tubes) I think those are designed for good isolation rather than for acoustic properties. I can with no doubt say that (at least with the leather pads) the sound gets really muddy and everything is totally ruined, this is how it sounds to my ears.

2. The headphones with this little "reversing" trick sound truly fantastic (I invite all the owners of the T70p to do this little trick, I'd like some opinion, no insults please :) ).

3. The T70ps sound very good just out of a normal player although I did notice a significant improvement using my Nuforce DAC/amplifier.

4. I have tried a bunch of other full size sealed cans including the famous D7000, in my opinion there is no comparison in terms of trasparency and acoustic instruments timbre, although I have to say that other headphones surpass easily the T70 in the bass impact performance (I am not saying that they are not punchy enough, but they are just right) for the rest I couldn't find anything comparable, with this trick they sound a lot better than the DT1350, also because of the superior ambience.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #417 of 623
"Great impression thank you!

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your reverse pad mod? it would greatly help understand how it was done. Thanks!  "
biggrin.gif

Thanks I'll do it as soon as possible!

But without doing exactly all the mod I did, people can just take the pads off, reverse them and have a go on the fly, I'd be really corious to read what they think about it, only doing this the frequency response and the tonality dramatically changes! Damn I can't figure out how this little change can change so dramatically the situation, this doesn't happen at all with a number of other mods of the pads, even using different pads! For sure what happens it is only inside (not externally, just at the interface between the inner part of the pads and the layers above the diaphragm) it must be the combination of the fabric plus the shape of the pads when they are reversed.

stay tuned I'll show the pictures

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #418 of 623

So when you say reverse the pad do you mean that the cushion side goes on the front baffle of the driver? so how comfortable that is to get the flat side with vinyl around your ears?

Quote:
"Great impression thank you!

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of your reverse pad mod? it would greatly help understand how it was done. Thanks!  "
biggrin.gif

Thanks I'll do it as soon as possible!

But without doing exactly all the mod I did, people can just take the pads off, reverse them and have a go on the fly, I'd be really corious to read what they think about it, only doing this the frequency response and the tonality dramatically changes! Damn I can't figure out how this little change can change so dramatically the situation, this doesn't happen at all with a number of other mods of the pads, even using different pads! For sure what happens it is only inside (not externally, just at the interface between the inner part of the pads and the layers above the diaphragm) it must be the combination of the fabric plus the shape of the pads when they are reversed.

stay tuned I'll show the pictures

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #419 of 623
So when you say reverse the pad do you mean that the cushion side goes on the front baffle of the driver? so how comfortable that is to get the flat side with vinyl around your ears?

Yes exactly like this. So once done you'll have the vinyl part touching your face. I know it is ugly and uncomfortable (not that uncomfortable though) but this is just to try what I am talking about, because it is actually already effective. My full mod consists in fixing the reversed pad on the baffle with some black electrical tape (it must be an accurate job, but just for the appereance, because whatever you do outside it doesn't affect the sound!). Before fixing the pad to the baffle I attached a foam ring on top of the vinyl part (I use double adhesive tape, the ring is about 10mm), then I cover the foam ring with some soft leather and I wrap it around the cushion fixing it with a narrow strip of tape , in this way you get a good seal (to increase the punch of the bass) and at the same time is also comfortable. No the beautiest pads in the world though, the thing is that I am so amazed about the sound that I don't care about the appeareance. Besides I don't want to spend other money for some velour pads and getting nothing as already happened for the nice areonautical leather pads I bought last week.

At the moment I am a bit busy, but when I can, I'll post the pictures and if people like it I could make a tutorial of the mod in a dedicated post. Obviously the important part of the mod (the acoustical one) is reversing the pads, then the solution to get a good seal, a comfortable system and a possible beautiful solution can vary a lot. My hope is that with some velour pads (from the DT770?) I can get the same acoustical effect. Hopefully some headfimate that has some spare velour pad could check it and share the results.

I'd like to make clear that this was just the result of some experimentation to understand the reaction of the headphones to different pads configuration, then by chance I got this amazing result (IMHO of course) I never thought I would have kept such an ugly arrangement, sacrificing the aesthetical of such a beautiful headphones (and expensive). The mod is totally reversible ( in all the meanings :) ). The thing is that I keep smiling while I am listening to some of my favourite tracks, I never got that sensation in the past, neither with other headphones nor with loudspeakers.

I have only one word for this headphones and this mod: TRANSPARENCY!! tons of transparency and tonal balance, like never in my life...I wonder how other headphones can be more transparent than this, especially in the middle range, I am really corious to have a go with the T1s and the HD800, which are supposed to be the best in this respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back