beyer t70 & t70p NEW!
Apr 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #422 of 623
So I have read through all the posts...whew! My questions are:

When thinking about the T-70:

1. Will a Fiio E7 amp work with them?
2. With the above amp above, will these cans be too much for my macbook pro (256kbps, MP3's?)
3. Are the gel pads (the ones that look like "fake breast implants") uncomfortable like sitting on plastic covered furniture?

Thanks,
Mike

Apr 14, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #423 of 623

Quote:
So I have read through all the posts...whew! My questions are:

2. With the above amp above, will these cans be too much for my macbook pro (256kbps, MP3's?)
3. Are the gel pads (the ones that look like "fake breast implants") uncomfortable like sitting on plastic covered furniture?

Thanks,
Mike

I have the T70P so mine are driven very easily.  No amp really necessary but it does sound better with an amp.  So the first two questions I will not comment on, but for the third question, they are very comfortable except for the initial contact because it is cold when you first put on the headphones.  Very good seal and very cushiony.  I find it worth it for the improvement in sound.  Almost impossible to put on though, at least for me.  

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #424 of 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicTXN7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The T70 needs much less power than other 250 Ohm headphones, so that is not likely to be an issue. If you do not need portability, the E10 would be better (and cheaper), not because of the extra power, but sound quality in general (noise, distortion, etc.).

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #426 of 623
Quote:
I haven't researched the amps enough, but are you saying that the E10 is better in producing sound quality or that they all are and that the E10 is less powerful?

The E10 is better than the E7 both in terms of maximum power and sound quality. It is USB-only and not portable, though.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #427 of 623

Quote:
Get some gel pads and these have some of the best bass I've ever heard.  

Do you think they'd work for someone with specs? Not a thin frame either.
Someone else on an earlier page said they'd make the specs dig into one's head and you'd still get leakage...

The T70 subbass is almost non-existent for me (anything below 80/90hz), unless I push them up against my ears.

I've seen there are some black gel pads on BhPhoto, $37 plus a crazy $30 shipping to Australia :frowning2:
Its either get these and hope they work or return the headphones for me I think...

These are amazing cans, I love a lot of things about them, but I listen to a lot of Techno/post-dubstep etc, and produce music also, and I need to hear the sub frequencies without cranking the phones up....

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #428 of 623

Quote:

Do you think they'd work for someone with specs? Not a thin frame either.
Someone else on an earlier page said they'd make the specs dig into one's head and you'd still get leakage...

The T70 subbass is almost non-existent for me (anything below 80/90hz), unless I push them up against my ears.

I've seen there are some black gel pads on BhPhoto, $37 plus a crazy $30 shipping to Australia :frowning2:
Its either get these and hope they work or return the headphones for me I think...

These are amazing cans, I love a lot of things about them, but I listen to a lot of Techno/post-dubstep etc, and produce music also, and I need to hear the sub frequencies without cranking the phones up....

I mainly listen to same genre of music as you do and I just tried listening to them with my glasses on and I really can't tell the difference in sound with the glasses off.  I also checked out the black pads and they are the same as the clear ones I have.  They didn't have the black ones in stock when I grabbed my pair.  Too bad the shipping costs so much to take the chance but I think it might be worth your while.  Also, I might be the only person that thought the bass with the original pads weren't that bad but with the gel pads, I will never go back to the originals.  I really do like the bass on these especially using the gel pads.  I just tested straight out of my iPhone, with RSA amp and DX100 and the bass sounds good on all the sources.  My frames are extremely thick and I find no discomfort and minimal leakage.  When I press on the cans, the sound difference is minimal.  Hope that helps and the cans work out for you because I absolutely love these also.  The cleanest sounding headphone/earphone I own, I think.  

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #429 of 623

Quote:

I mainly listen to same genre of music as you do and I just tried listening to them with my glasses on and I really can't tell the difference in sound with the glasses off.  I also checked out the black pads and they are the same as the clear ones I have.  They didn't have the black ones in stock when I grabbed my pair.  Too bad the shipping costs so much to take the chance but I think it might be worth your while.  Also, I might be the only person that thought the bass with the original pads weren't that bad but with the gel pads, I will never go back to the originals.  I really do like the bass on these especially using the gel pads.  I just tested straight out of my iPhone, with RSA amp and DX100 and the bass sounds good on all the sources.  My frames are extremely thick and I find no discomfort and minimal leakage.  When I press on the cans, the sound difference is minimal.  Hope that helps and the cans work out for you because I absolutely love these also.  The cleanest sounding headphone/earphone I own, I think.  

Thanks for the info man
Maybe I'll keep them and get the pads then...
I can always add a pair of DT250 or even DT770 to my collection for about $200 for when I feel like more bass

I agree these T70 are super clean/crisp and are amazing with most electronica, and all acoustic/instrumental/rock I've listened to.

And mine are coming just straight out of my Edirol audio interface - so if I add a decent DAC (probably Dacmagic+) and later on a decent amp (M-Stage or Corda Classic depending on budget), I'm sure they'll be even more amazing.

EDIT: A/B-ing them out of my iphone against some old Beyer DTX-800s (which I thought previously were a bit bass heavy), the bass quantity is very similar! The quality is on another planet however. So much cleaner, no distortion of the sinewave sub at all. Mids/highs louder/more prominent at similar listening levels, but to be expected as the DTXs are a bit recessed in mids and are open cans too. Main track I was testing was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChC4ZU2QrSM . I've also noticed the bass is better if my ears are towards the front of the T70 cups rather than in centre. I think its shape / thin width of the pads. As everyone's been saying, they really dropped the ball on these pads. The DTX-800 pads are wider/fatter, more comfy and give a better seal. What! I think those gel pads may sold my issues after all...

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #430 of 623
This probably needs a new thread, but just wondering what people think about Dac/amp combos that'd be good with these? As I've said previously I'm running them straight out of my Edirol soundcard (FA-101) and they do sound great but I'm sure dedicated dac/amp combo would be better, that is a bit more up to date and doesn't have a whole bunch of inputs, pre-amps and stuff bundled in.

Budget around $500-600

Schiit Bifrost + Asgard
Cambridge Dacmagic+
Audiolab MDac
Audio-GD NFB 2.1 or NFB-17
Nuforce Icon HDP

Most of the dac/amp combo units above, apart from the Nuforce, offer balanced XLR outputs which I can feed to my powered Studio Monitors, which is very handy.
But sound quality is most important thing.
I don't think these T70s need a huge powerful amp - thats the whole point of Tesla - so in-built HP-amps in the Dacmagic+, Mdac etc might be OK. Just doubt they're the best quality?

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #433 of 623

Quote:

Has anyone compared the T70 / T70p to the T5p?

Is the T70 overlooked?

Here is my T5p review - http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t5p/reviews/6707

Thanks.

After having had the T70 for 4 months and now the T70p for 2 months I have become addicted to their sound. I like the T70p more than the T70. I would love to hear peoples impressions and comparison between the T5p and the T70p as well. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #435 of 623

Quote:

Hi Rasmus,

What's the difference between T70 and T70p in your experience?

Have you auditioned the T5p yet?

Tack.

To my ears the T70p are slightly more balanced sounding. I think it is because they have a bit more bass. This makes them more punchy and to me more enjoyable generally. The T70p also has a bit more body and a fleshy sound - not much just a bit more compared to T70. The T70 are colder but probably more controlled and correct - especially in the bass. The T70p win in one area though for me because they are much easier to drive which makes them sound lighter and the music flows much easier through them. The 70p has given me goosebumps much more than the T70 were able to give me. I take that as a sign that my brain does not have to "calculate" and process the sound as much with the T70p as with the T70.

Also the T70 are more discerning when playing badly recorded music or from low resolution files. The T70 can very easily sound boring if the source material is not high rez  or at least of decent quality. I think this could be a sign that the T70 has a little higher resolution than the T70p - but again not much, just a tiny bit. All in all I have used my T70p more then I wanted to use the T70 and I can not exactly point out why. The T70p just offer me more music pleasure than I was able to get with the T70 with the rigs I use them with most often. I hope it makes some sort of sense?

Edit:
Yes - I have heard the T5p but only for a very short time - 10-15 minutes at a head-fi meet in Berlin. It is a while back and it was just right after the T5p was released for sale. Is that now more than a year ago? I had the T1 back then and I was not impressed by the T5p at the meet. Because if the price I was very disappointed. It might not have been properly burned in yet - it was new out of the box at the time also I only has some portable amps with me to the meet. I am sure it could probably win me over if I could spend more time with the T5p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back