beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Jul 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #376 of 866

Quote:
Still I am pressed hard to recommend anything above Koss PortaPro or Sennheiser PX 100 for direct use on a portable player, in particular iPod. If T50p (or P3) require a (portable) amp to shine, then why not go for a cheaper  full size headphone (e.g. AKG 271 or 240)?

I have no issue using a portable amp - in fact I like using them
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #377 of 866
So far have you noticed any manufacturing defect / damage ? I've already seen several damaged T50p on Chinese forums such as these :

http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=896097

Is it safe to buy the first batch of T50p or should I switch my brain to "Apple products consummer mode" (ie. never buy the first batches) ?

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #378 of 866
guys, i'm probbaly asking for a comparison between a pick up truck and a sports car here, but:

my current situation, have a pair of grado's for home/office use, and use a pair of shures e2cs for travelling which i do a lot. 

i wanted to get a new set of in office phones, but lately the shures have been bothering me, think i want to move away from IEMs. 

so these are really interesting me. but my questions is how these would stack up against the HD600s for use when not travelling? would i be better off buying a pair of hd600s like i had originally planned, or are these in the same ballpark that i could use them for both home and travel?

if i just get these, i could potentially stretch to an amp as well

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #380 of 866
Quote:
So far have you noticed any manufacturing defect / damage ? I've already seen several damaged T50p on Chinese forums such as these :

Is it safe to buy the first batch of T50p or should I switch my brain to "Apple products consummer mode" (ie. never buy the first batches) ?

If you extend the headband all or most of the way and swivel the cups flat, they can rub together. It's just a minor design flaw due the way the headband is shaped. I noticed a small mark on mine and now only rotate the cups flat if the headband isn't extended.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #381 of 866

Quote:

Has anyone tried reading this link translated to english? It is hysterical. For instance "Semicircle of the interface should be the aluminum block punching, bending and then made, the tragedy is that it is like to do a woman's thigh swollen flesh." Im sorry, I cant stop laughing. Although it is a bit disconcerting how easily these look to be scratched or damaged.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #382 of 866
Hmm, not really dt880s, but kind of along those lines a tiny bit. Can these be an apology for discontinuing the dt531? 
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the the Chinese forum, maybe I'm missing something... and I don't speak Chinese so I probably am... but this just looks like geeks being geeky. Isn't it common sense that if you put metal on metal that it'll scratch? Don't extend the headphones out all the way and lay them flat, jeez. It's not the first headphone to touch while lying flat and fully extended.

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #383 of 866
There were minor cosmetics, no biggie, except those very noticeable marks on the picture no. 2. IMHO, the overall build quality is quite good. The fit is also good, unfortunately, I had to return mine because I don't like their sound signature. I'm not good at describing sound, but the closest comparison I think of is that they sound like resonator guitars, while I want a jumbo gibson sound for my portables. I'm not a basshead, yet I had to bump 5dB bass on rockbox. Like Skylab said, they sound very thin out of ipod/fuze/EF2/T3D. Basically, my meager arsenals didn't help, so yeah, they gotta go.

ps: SoundEarphones deserves a plug here. Thanks Michael!

EDIT: According to Michael, I got a dud, nevermind what I said. I'm looking forward for a good pair later.

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #384 of 866

Quote:
There were minor cosmetics, no biggie, except those very noticeable marks on the picture no. 2. IMHO, the overall build quality is quite good. The fit is also good, unfortunately, I had to return mine because I don't like their sound signature. I'm not good at describing sound, but the closest comparison I think of is that they sound like resonator guitars, while I want a jumbo gibson sound for my portables. I'm not a basshead, yet I had to bump 5dB bass on rockbox. Like Skylab said, they sound very thin out of ipod/fuze/EF2/T3D. Basically, my meager arsenals didn't help, so yeah, they gotta go.

ps: SoundEarphones deserves a plug here. Thanks Michael!

Thanks for your input, I now understand why you found them thin and lacking body. Great and helpful analogy.

I just ordered a pair of ESW10 anyway, as I was a little worried about comments made about the ES10, which closely mirror the ones found about the T50p midrange (ie., thin sounding). But I'll definitely try to get them later on out of curiosity.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #385 of 866
Mine came in pretty scuffed up.  I think they were packaged slightly extended inside of the case. There was definitely rubbing going on..

However, these other scuff marks look like they could of come from the manufacturer due to the location of where the marks are higher up on the cups.

As for sound, I am still burning them in.  I have less than 10 hours on them.  I am currently running them out of a Sansa Clip and Iphone 4 and would definitely like more power.  I have an iBasso Toucan PB1 on order that should be here this week to try that out.   I'm somewhat a basshead (own IE8s and D7000s) and these are no where near those in terms of bass, but it is satisfying.  I just have to work on a good placement, due to my large head.  Overall, I am definitely enjoying them.

I have not had a chance to run them on my home rig (Woo WA6SE), but hope to soon.  I have been using them at work exclusively.

I was looking to replace my PXC 450 for travel, but I'll have to make that decision later after burn-in.  Maybe I'll end up keeping both.

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #386 of 866
I am also considering the ES10, but as you say some comments scare me...

The thin sound could be coming fromthe metal cups. I think both have some; the ES10 has titanium and the t50p... looks like some other metal.

Jul 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #387 of 866
I don't think so. The SRH840 are made out of plastic and never sounded thin to these ears :). Also, the P5 is partially made out of metal and yet isn't a thin sounding pair of headphones.

Of course the housing must have a role to play, but I'm pretty sure manufacturers choose their housings wisely and fully know what to expect from them.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #388 of 866
Ok, sad day here. I just got my T50p and was so excited...until I put them on. I mean, I didn't even get to listen to them yet, just put them on. They don't fit 
mad.gif
  I have a peanut head and these phones have no clamping force on me and they are too low on my ears. They are also very bottom heavy and since there's no clamping force, any movement I make that's a bit faster than normal shakes them off.

I can feel that they are about 1/2 inch too low from my ears sweet spot. Pushing them up that much makes them sound much better, fuller, but then the headband isn't on my head.

Trying to listen to them they sound pretty decent to me, right out of the box. They do sound like they would need to break in as everything sounds a bit veiled(recessed?) and things in the midrange tend to get garbled a bit if there's a lot going on. Again, not going to take it with a grain of salt until they are broken in. Compared to the HD-25's, the Senn's have a ton more detail and sound more impressive as I listen to them, also seem more comfortable as the pads cover more of my ear. Although with so much detail they become fatiguing to me after a while as I could see the T50p's being more forgiving on a long session.

But all that is moot if they don't fit. Do I bother breaking them in or just return them. If they don't fit its different than not liking them, think there should still be a restocking fee?

Here's a few pics of me in my headphones and you can see how they all look on my mini-noggin.

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #389 of 866
Ugh, I have a size 7 head too. Frak frak frak! What is it with these headphone manufacturers that they forget that the headphone has to fit actual people? They drink the same koolaid as a company who thinks it's awesome to put an antenna right where your hand kills the signal.

I feel for you dude, because it could happen to any of us. Maybe headphones should now come with a height/weight requirement. If these don't fit I'll just have to get yea olde hd25s.

Does beyer have anyone reading these forums? I doubt it.

What happens if you put the headband further back, does it pull the headphones up a bit?

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #390 of 866

Quote:
Ugh, I have a size 7 head too. Frak frak frak! What is it with these headphone manufacturers that they forget that the headphone has to fit actual people? They drink the same koolaid as a company who thinks it's awesome to put an antenna right where your hand kills the signal.

I feel for you dude, because it could happen to any of us. Maybe headphones should now come with a height/weight requirement. If these don't fit I'll just have to get yea olde hd25s.

Does beyer have anyone reading these forums? I doubt it.

What happens if you put the headband further back, does it pull the headphones up a bit?

I tried moving the headband all around even squeezing it for more clamping force. Nothing worked. I already called up where I got them from and they have no problems taking them back either for refund or exchange(Go Headroom!). Debating if I should just apply it to something else or take the money and hold off. The more I switched back and forth between my HD-25's and the T50p's I just kept liking the Senn's better for comfort and sound. I think its going to be hard for me to find anything I like better in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back