beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Jun 28, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #331 of 866

Quote:
Maybe unamped? They should be alright without. And to be fair to beyer, could you please elaborate on bits that you particularly don't like? Those are pretty harsh words for a new product, regardless burned in or not.

I'm running them unamped out of my Zune HD.  I'll try some other portables later to see if it makes a difference.  So far, and this could just be my untrained ears, but I didn't notice much of a difference amped or unamped.  I'm considering taking a day off or two from headphones just to rest them enough to enjoy them.

I'm not very good with describing sounds so you will have to forgive me on my horrible description.

First thing I've noticed was that It reminds me of the Sennheiser veil I disliked quite a bit.  It might just be my taste, but so far it's not to my liking.  I will have to say that there is quite a bit of separation in the instruments.  And the more I used them clearer it sounds, but I'm not sure if it's just my ears getting used to it.  And so far it's been a mixed bag.  As different albums give me different impressions.  I haven't really enjoyed it with TV on the Radio's Dear Science album but Radiohead's In Rainbows sounded great.  The Roots' Things Fall Apart makes the bass sounds a bit bloated and the mids sound recessed (especially on the track You Got Me).  

I have no way to really describe it well, but it sounds like things are held back.  That's the best way I could sum it up.

Warning for others: I have never heard a T1, so I might not have any point of reference.

And I also listened to the T50p right after coming of the Stax SR-007 so a lot of cans sound subpar.  I will give an update after I have some burn in.  I feel I shouldn't have jumped the gun on this and had waited on getting it nicely burned in, but that's just my initial reaction for the moment, so it might change.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #332 of 866
Thanks for the clarification. There's nothing to forgive mate, actually, those are quite good descriptions. These are going to replace my aging PX100 so my expectations are probably lower than most. SoundEarphones told me they'll ship mine whenever they get the next batch.

To be honest I'm having second thoughts on these, but in my case I need to find something quick due to travel. Suggestions are most welcome, preferably from soundearphones lineup.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #335 of 866
I got my shipping notice today from TTVJ - my T50P are on the way.  I hope they make it Friday so I have them for the long weekend, although I am sure they will need a good solid burn-in.

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #339 of 866
Just had the chance to demo these at the ALO audio storefront. Very bass heavy and much less refined than the t1's, but it retains what I feel Is the biggest strength of the t1's, the way it can pump out smooth female vocals. Very nice phones for some very specific genres. I was ready to burn a hole in my wallet but alas, they were waiting on a shipment to come in...

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #340 of 866
Just a note: when you listen to T50p's be aware of the positioning. The wrong position sometimes lead to the mentioned light"nasal"sound signature. The T50p's midrange is quite neutral but strong enough to be present when listening at lower levels. The highs are - as also already mentioned by listeners - very smooth, clear and the totality with this headphone impresses...not in a "whow" way, but as the T1's, i find them really agreeable to enjoy a lot of genres of music.

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #342 of 866
Plus they seem to be so small, hard to figure.

Mine won't be here until Wednesday.  Bummer.

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #345 of 866
ordered one on ebay!
they have ready stock!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beyerdynamic-T-50-P-t50p-portable-onear-close-headphone-/160452446241?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_headphone&hash=item255bb60821

Users who are viewing this thread

Back