Beyer DT990 250ohm & ATH-AD700 Comparison. Xonar Essence
Jul 23, 2010 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

lovethosebeats3

New Head-Fier
Hey guys awesome board :D  I've been eyeballing so many headphones for a while and I've narrowed it down to these two.  I've read many many many threads on here about all these.  I'm very undecided and could use a little push :D

I mainly listen to dance/pop/female vocals/electro house/reggae/hiphop/occasional rock/metal.  Mostly upbeat club stuff with female vocals.  I want to feel the music in soul as if in the club.  You know what I mean??

Please vote and help me decide :D  I'm sure I will love either one there's no question there, but you know how it goes :)

:D

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 27
beyer(with sufficient amping) will always beat the low end Ultrasone models any given day.
wink.gif

not too sure bout those 990 pros, but 600ohm is where the real party is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 27
The Beyer look so rock solid and comfortable.  Seems like I can't go wrong with those :D  While the Ultrasone sound has me very curious.

actually they are these ones here http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-990-Premium-250-Ohm/dp/B000F2BLTW , just getting them from a different place.  They guy has 250ohm.

For now I'll be getting my buddy's xonar essence stx with headphone amp, would that power them ok?

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 27
Rock Solid and comfortable indeed, my good friend. You can step on em, slap em around,  throw them in traffic, play frisbee with them, and they'll still be alive !! These are one the comfiest headphone i have ever owned in my life.

But do not get the 250ohm, Napalmk and many users with the 990/250 have severely problematic issues with theirs, so it's best to go with the DT990/600 cause they do everything so much better and reward you even more once the level of the amp rises

here, you can get them here
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614495-REG/Beyerdynamic_483966_DT_990_Premium_Open_Back.html

click 'add to cart to show price' and it will come out to $229,  yes, Xonar essence stx will do fine since it has a switch for higher impedance cans, but i strongly recommend a dedicated source/amp in the near future or whenever you get the money. Make the jump man, you will never regret your purchase with the DT990/600's  :)

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 27
let me give you my $.02

i have the edition 8 from ultrasone.  and that can is, in my estimation, roughly on equal ground with the dt990.  (but different)
so where does that put a lower model ultrasone?  i don't know.  i've never heard one, but i can imagine it doesn't have the potential of a 600 ohm beyer.

properly amped, the dt990 will knock the wind out of your chest.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 27
I have the Ultrasone Pro 650 and DT990/250. As David M. said I did have some problems out of the DT990. Mainly a ridiculous amount of sibilance though I do seem fairly sensitive to it. I couldn't listen to them for more than 30 minutes due to the sharpness of the treble. By far the worst treble presence I've ever heard. I really enjoyed almost everything else about them (some minor annoyance with the mids but nothing too serious). The level of detail and clarity was wonderful though. I'm going to be replacing the drivers with 600 ohms soon as one of the drivers developed a rattle which will hopefully cure the sibilance problem.

Anyway, my opinion is that you won't be disappointed either way you decide to go. For me, it's hard to beat the Ultrasone sound sig for trance and the like but the DT990s offer some very good things. Ultrasone does tend to be a love it or hate it can as you're probably aware. I would highly recommend an amp for the DT990s while an amp with the Sones is recommended but not needed persay. The 650s are also less detailed and sound more "closed in" soundstage wise but are still very good. As for comfort the DT990s have the 650s beat. The DT990s have close to the best comfort of any can I've tried while the Pro 650s were just average/passable though with velours the comfort increases a little. I have a theory that if the sibilance and a couple of other small issues I have with the DT990/250 were fixed they would be among my favorite cans but as of now they remain as one of my worst purchases. At least FWIR the 600 ohm version should fix most of my problems so we'll see. Good luck with your search!

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 27
funny, i've never had any sibilance or treble issues with my dt990/600.  i have read a number of times that the 250 ohm had those issues...

and i've had some issues with the dt880/600.  i modded them with some felt to tame the treble, and have been pretty happy with them...

to my ears, the dt990/600 treble is fine, if just a bit on the thin side.  and this only really shows through when listening to some of the more bright recordings from the 80's.

tubes help, as does a source with a more refined treble response...

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 27
Yeah it's definitely there with the 250 ohm version and especially unbearable unamped. Amping takes some of the edge off but not nearly enough for me to be comfortable. Unamped it's an instant headache whereas amped I can tolerate for a little while. Either way I get a sense of relief when I take them off. I have high hopes that the 600 ohm drivers will solve at least the sibilance problem anything else is a bonus.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 27
actually, there will always be some sparkle(sibilance if you wanna call it) with the DT990/600, but very, and i mean very light. For me,  It's roughly on 2% youtube videos, but you really have to look and look until you find them. Krall, some vintage old school rock, and maybe some very old poorly encoded Michael Jackson songs spring to mind as an example. The problem isn't the DT990's fault, it's just revealing poorly positioned mic flaws and encoding errors.

This is what makes the 600ohm beyer's special, it lets you hear what really went on during the recording sessions.
smily_headphones1.gif
.  The DT880/250ohm are somewhat more polite and will mask the flaws - making it [kinda] of a boring experience. 

Treble wise? I'm with TheWuss on this one, it never over-steps its boundaries on any of my albums. Detailed, musical, crisp, /w a splice of rainbow nirvana is what I would classify it. You need a clean signal to really enjoy these puppies.

that's nice to hear from TheWuss that the DT990/600 is competing with a high territory headphone as the Edition 8, makes that smile on my face light up even bigger
beyersmile.png

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 27
I don't mind a little extra high end sparkle. My CK10 has some and it doesn't bother me too much. The problem I had with the 250 ohms was where there was maybe a little sibilance in a recording it would take that and exaggerate it. Even on well mastered songs where there wasn't any hint of sibilance due to the recording, I could clearly detect that exaggerated high end energy. Needless to say cymbals made me cringe. As long as the 600 ohm has a light sparkle and doesn't turn on treble boost I think I'll be okay.
wink.gif

I'd like to become a Beyer fan as their build quality is great as is the comfort but the first two Beyers I've tried (DT770/80 & DT990/250) have been lackluster. It's really a shame because almost everything about the DT990 is agreeable but that treble is murder.

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:

I'd like to become a Beyer fan as their build quality is great as is the comfort but the first two Beyers I've tried (DT770/80 & DT990/250) have been lackluster. It's really a shame because almost everything about the DT990 is agreeable but that treble is murder.

*cough* DT150/250 *cough*

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 27
Couldn't an EQ help correct any sibilance?  I know a lot of guys here prefer not to use EQ though  :)

I got the 250 Ohm because of a super super sweet deal I couldn't pass up.  Otherwise I would have got the 600 at the link :)  I should have them next week, I can't wait to break these babies in ahhhh that's gonna be a trip.  haha.  I do like a lot of sparkle in my music.  I like super hard hitting bass that shakes me, sharp treble that must be able to keep up and tingle my spine, and mids about halfway in between the two.

These are my first serious pair of cans so I can only imagine being pleased.  I'm so stoked!!

OK so if this xonar doesn't cut, what kind of amp do yall recommend?  Tube amp?  :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back