Beyer DT990 250ohm & ATH-AD700 Comparison. Xonar Essence
Jul 23, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 27
I think the Xonar will do okay for the 250ohm model.
if it doesn't work out, a used Little Dot Mark 3 will drive them to unimaginable strengths (for its price). Keep us updated once you receive them
beerchug.gif

but I'm curious, how much was that deal for on the DT990/250? They sell them for $200 on amazon, but you got them cheaper?

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
Couldn't an EQ help correct any sibilance?  I know a lot of guys here prefer not to use EQ though  :)

I got the 250 Ohm because of a super super sweet deal I couldn't pass up.  Otherwise I would have got the 600 at the link :)  I should have them next week, I can't wait to break these babies in ahhhh that's gonna be a trip.  haha.  I do like a lot of sparkle in my music.  I like super hard hitting bass that shakes me, sharp treble that must be able to keep up and tingle my spine, and mids about halfway in between the two.

These are my first serious pair of cans so I can only imagine being pleased.  I'm so stoked!!

OK so if this xonar doesn't cut, what kind of amp do yall recommend?  Tube amp?  :D

I guess I could use an EQ but that's usually a bit too much trouble for me. I also like to be able to use my cans without EQ so I have a rough idea of what others are talking about when they compare cans and so I can just plug them into any source without hassle.

I'd say if you're a bass and sparkle head they would fit perfect. When I imagine the FR of the 250 ohm I picture pretty much exactly what you said you liked so they should be a good fit. IMO and from memory, (if 5 is neutral) bass is about an 7.5-8 quantity wise (pretty close to the D2000 level), treble is roughly the same, and mids are a little recessed. Of course it's a little hard to quantify as 10 would be the largest quantity I could possibly imagine in a headphone.

Definitely let us know what you think of them. 

Quote:
*cough* DT150/250 *cough*

lol. I've been meaning to try those for a while. If I find a pair in the FS forums I might have to jump on them.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #18 of 27
a bit off topic:

but damn,  you're so ninja NapalmK.

having the offline status under username,  but randomly appearing/posting out of nowhere where one least expects it :D

show me the way NapalmK, show me the way ^_^

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 27
ph34r.gif

I have invisible mode on. It's on your profile page. Just click "edit account details" scroll down to "site preferences" and check the "invisible mode" box. I generally don't use it but it can come in handy.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 27
ahh.. pretty sweet. Never even bothered messing around with the new features once the new site was constructed. Now i know why Grokit is always displayed offline, but he's always posting somewhere. That sneaky son of a gun 
ph34r.gif

cool feature, thanks. might be helpful if I'm ever in the mood to ninja-crash some threads
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #21 of 27
I would get the Pro 2500 since they are so cheap right now, and wait for a sale on the DT990/600ohm if you still want those later. My ultrasone pro750 (closed version of 2500) sounds great unamped and is colored to sound best with the genres you listed, and does everything else pretty well, too.

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 27
My cousin has a pair he is selling me.  He had these and a few other most had only a couple hours on them so they're pretty much brand new fresh and in the box.  He's all jazz which I like too, but my main genres are all aggressive style so I got some opinion on a bunch of cans but not the full gist like I got here from you guys.

That little dot amp looks perfect  :D

Cool I'll let yall know what I think.  :)

And yeah I'll definitely be getting the Ultrasones too. Eventually :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back