BEST VALUE ''around 100-300$'' CHIFI & NEWCOMERS IEM with REFERENCE List (no BIG brands here)
Aug 12, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #227 of 592
Thanks for your help. Posted the question non here because these type of earphones seem to be at a real sweet spot in terms of price/performance.

In the broadest of terms, your two examples would be considered warm. Along those lines, the Moondrop KXXS has a shorter stem/nozzle than the KPE and the KXXS doesn't have a retention lip (on the nozzle) either.
Comparison of the two Moondrops: (at the 6:00 mark the reviewer starts to go off of the rails)

You might find more assistance in the Info/Help forum:
https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #228 of 592
The Magaosi DQ4 is a FANTASTIC iem for 180.00 and definitely deserves to be on the list.
It's superbly tuned, and has a very high quality build.
The DQ4 excels in it's staging and instrument separation, as well as cohesion amongst it's 4 drivers per side.
The DQ4 also has a musical and energetic tuning and is a very, very enjoyable listening experience.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #229 of 592
Aug 17, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #230 of 592
The Magaosi DQ4 is a FANTASTIC iem for 180.00 and definitely deserves to be on the list.
The DQ4 excels in it's staging and instrument separation, as well as cohesion amongst it's 4 drivers per side.
The DQ4 also has a musical and energetic tuning and is a very, very enjoyable listening experience.
How's the low end, sub bass, mid bass ?

any muddiness in the mid bass ?

Aug 17, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #231 of 592
How's the low end, sub bass, mid bass ?

any muddiness in the mid bass ?

+1 for DQ4 to be on the list.

Bass has superb quality and quantity. No muddiness or bass bleed into the mids at all. Evenly layered from sub to mid bass, but also very physical double-DD bass.

Imo this IEM is still underrated/unknown. Maybe because Magaosi hasn't been great at getting reviewers to look at them? Not sure, but they are truly great.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #232 of 592
I finally got my hands on VS7 (resin version) and they're fantastic for my ears. And below are my impressions after almost 70 hours -

Crisp highs; maybe slightly rolled off although I found it source dependent as for large swathes of my listening sessions, highs have been bright and sparkling. This is very much contradictory to the graphs I read online which show them rolled off and mellow. Insertion depth and ear sensitivity play a key part here by the looks of it.

Mids is where they steal the show. They're captivating and soothing. Mids IMO elevate the soundstage and bring balance in the ears' sonic response. Both male and female vocals sound lively and natural. They lend power to the signature as they dictate the performance of this IEM. If someone really wants an IEM with fantastic mids, this is a no brainer at $100. It's the mids that have made me listen to them for almost nonstop for last 5-6 days.

Soundstage - It's not 3D but it is open in nature. Imagine listening to music in an open spaces like riverbanks. I find it to driven by the seal, as when I was tip rolling, I noticed that improper seal led to a shallow soundstage with the obvious non-existent bass.

Imaging - Was good to my ears. I'm not a gamer so don't have that sniper like accuracy in determining it. But it gives good representation of the scenery around.

Bass is tight, punchy and quick. Mid-bass takes precedence over subbass but it leads to an enjoyable sonic experience. Has potential to go basshead levels with decent amping.

VS7 are easy to drive and have snug fit. Fit is dependent on tip size as I had to use L size tips with these over my usual M.

For me the best way to define them is KB100 via CNT. They're eerily similar to my ears. CNT drivers give very natural bass and lifelike mids. KB100 with it's hybrid set-up sounds little different but surely follows the same ilk especially in mid-bass, imaging, and highs.

Vsonic really needs to up their accessories game. Just 3 pair of silicone tips is too meh at this price point.

Bottomline - $100 well spent. I would surely recommend this to someone who wants an upgrade from KB100 and/or budget IEMs. Bassheads might have to tip roll and increase gain on amp to give it thunderous teeth rattling bass. If you haven't bought it and have $100 to spend, just try it.

P.S. - I have used stock cable and stock tips for most of the time. Tried them Spiral Dots but didn't like the fit and seal with it. L size stock tips gave me a comfortable seal which is rare and astonishing at the same time.

Note - This is not a review or anything like that. Just what I felt after using these IEMs. YMMV and also, please use this as reference basis your sound and sane judgement.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #233 of 592

Sounds like a good candidate, but what about listening fatigue?

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #234 of 592
Guys, wich one og these can be catogorized AS a iem. That is not that ear fatiguing, because what good is iem, og you vant listen too it for a longer periode how good the sound May be? I understand that people swap out iems alot during a Session, but i would like some options that i can just put in my ears and just listen for hours on for mind fullness and as theraphy. Thanks.

Aug 26, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #237 of 592
Sounds like a good candidate, but what about listening fatigue?
I can listen to the DQ4 for hours, without fatigue. They definitely are detailed and with an upper mids, lower treble emphasis, but not so much that it is painful or fatiguing. Your mileage may vary though, depending on the sound signature that you're most used to. I tend to gravitate to a more dark sound signature, but the DQ4 have changed my interests to the point that I now struggle to listen to one of my iem's that are tuned with a darker signature. They now sound kind of muddy, or veiled in comparison to the DQ4's.

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #238 of 592
I can listen to the DQ4 for hours, without fatigue. They definitely are detailed and with an upper mids, lower treble emphasis, but not so much that it is painful or fatiguing. Your mileage may vary though, depending on the sound signature that you're most used to. I tend to gravitate to a more dark sound signature, but the DQ4 have changed my interests to the point that I now struggle to listen to one of my iem's that are tuned with a darker signature. They now sound kind of muddy, or veiled in comparison to the DQ4's.

Sounds like i need these hmm, make that sant these.. Do i really need more iems?? Hah.

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #239 of 592
Guys, wich one og these can be catogorized AS a iem. That is not that ear fatiguing, because what good is iem, og you vant listen too it for a longer periode how good the sound May be? I understand that people swap out iems alot during a Session, but i would like some options that i can just put in my ears and just listen for hours on for mind fullness and as theraphy. Thanks.

VS7 is a good candidate. Fatigue free, sweet, and natural sounding IEM at ~$100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back