Best Sub-$100 Headphone?
Sep 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #61 of 89
Quote:
I like the V6's bass. I was wondering is the Shure was the same thing without the boost in the upper mids. I don't have a job (I'm 15). V6's are so light, comfortable, and durable though. I can't afford to upgrade until I have money. 

Definitely keep the V6's then. They are great headphones. Hard to improve upon them without spending some good extra money. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #62 of 89
I gave my V6's to my dad (had them for over 3 years).

Having the ATH-m50s which are around that $ area.. I would recommend blindly for you to update.

Better closed back headphones, with punchier and lively bass. I'd describe them to having close to a V shaped EQ.

They also have coiled cables and look nice :)

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #63 of 89
Quote:
I like the V6's bass. I was wondering is the Shure was the same thing without the boost in the upper mids. I don't have a job (I'm 15). V6's are so light, comfortable, and durable though. I can't afford to upgrade until I have money. 

I would say YES, the bass is more or less the same.  Bass is important for me too and I ABXed back and forth quite a bit to make sure I wasn't missing out.  The "supposed" upper mid peak of the V6 is definitely gone on the SR440.  The upper mids boost on the V6 didn't really bother me at all though really.  The impedance curve of the V6 shows a slight increase in resistance at ~3khz which would mean that high output impedance sources would cause a greater boost of those frequencies.  Personally I thought the V6 was pretty flat quite honestly. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #64 of 89
As someone who also doesn't have a lot of money and dicks around with headphones looking for the holy grail, I would recommend that you stay happy with the V6.  From experience (having owned / auditioned $500+ phones) improvements in sound from here on up are minimal and expensive.  The V6 is one of those headphones that can compete with the big boys without breaking the bank - trust me. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #65 of 89
Quote:

I would say YES, the bass is more or less the same.  Bass is important for me too and I ABXed back and forth quite a bit to make sure I wasn't missing out.  The "supposed" upper mid peak of the V6 is definitely gone on the SR440.  The upper mids boost on the V6 didn't really bother me at all though really.  The impedance curve of the V6 shows a slight increase in resistance at ~3khz which would mean that high output impedance sources would cause a greater boost of those frequencies.  Personally I thought the V6 was pretty flat quite honestly. 

It only really depends on how the song was mastered/recorded I guess, some albums sound just perfect while others you can tell the upper mids stick out a little more or are a little harsh. I love cymbals and the drum impacts for rock. The V6 is a little grainy sounding but still really good. 

For example, I have many many different remixes from an artist and her voice sounds very sibilant on some while not on others due to whatever they did to her voice. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #66 of 89
Wow there's a lot being said about the V6s here... I'm gonna give them another listen from my friend, I wasn't really paying attention to the sound before, so maybe I'll get these if they sound good with my music.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #67 of 89
Quote:
Wow there's a lot being said about the V6s here... I'm gonna give them another listen from my friend, I wasn't really paying attention to the sound before, so maybe I'll get these if they sound good with my music.

I personally wouldn't use them with an ipod 2g though. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #68 of 89
Quote:

The V6 will also probably sound better with something other than a phone or mp3 player. I find the bass to be a little richer when using my Xonar STX sound card or E17 amp/dac over my G2 phone or Clip+.  

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #69 of 89
Quote:

The V6 will also probably sound better with something other than a phone or mp3 player. I find the bass to be a little richer when using my Xonar STX sound card or E17 amp/dac over my G2 phone or Clip+.  

That's probably the result of a higher output impedance of the Xonar STX.  It's the only thing that could possibly be altering the sound of the V6 because otherwise the Clip+ and the STX measure completely flat within a fraction of a dB (not sure about the E17 - couldn't find specs).  The V6 are also incredibly high effeciency / low impedance headphones too so they aren't limited by power requirements.   

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #70 of 89
Out of the headphones I've tried that are under $100, I've always liked the AKG K240 Studio. They usually sit somewhere at like $100 or a bit under. I also quite liked the Koss Pro/4AA. I wasn't expecting to like their sound as much as I did, and I got my pair I had for like $70 or so.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #71 of 89
Quote:
That's probably the result of a higher output impedance of the Xonar STX.  It's the only thing that could possibly be altering the sound of the V6 because otherwise the Clip+ and the STX measure completely flat within a fraction of a dB (not sure about the E17 - couldn't find specs).  The V6 are also incredibly high effeciency / low impedance headphones too so they aren't limited by power requirements.   

Sure. I wouldn't doubt that their frequency response is the same. 

Yep. I suspect it has to do with the power output required for the 63 ohm impedance of the V6 at higher volumes trying to produce the lower bass frequencies. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #72 of 89
Quote:
Out of the headphones I've tried that are under $100, I've always liked the AKG K240 Studio. They usually sit somewhere at like $100 or a bit under. I also quite liked the Koss Pro/4AA. I wasn't expecting to like their sound as much as I did, and I got my pair I had for like $70 or so.

For sure, if you get get the K240 Studio for $100, that headphone is kick ass too.  I eyed that one for awhile too, and it will probably replace my Goldring DR150s once they bite the dust.  The AD700 and the K240S are fantastic ~$100 phones and I think I prefer the latter for its replaceable pads too.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #73 of 89
The more I listen to my 240s the more I like them, but they need TONS of amplifier for something with a 55 ohm rating. 

With no amp they're unlistenable... You will get better sound from some $20-30 headphones (by far)

With a "pocket" amp or audio interface they're worth the $80 I paid

Out of a fullblown rackmount amplifier they sound as flat as my SRH840 and a cross between the energy of Grados and the smoothness of Sennheisers, The semi-open design comes into its own as well... Definitely explains why so many famous recording studios use them but so many casual consumer reviews are negative. These basically let you listen to your amplifier and if your amplifier sucks then they'll make you fully aware of that. If your amp is nice then man, such a beautiful organic sound.

However, no matter what you do, these have no sub-bass, just mid-bass. Nothing going on but flab and residue at 60hz, Not good headphones for modern electronica (although really cool for stuff like kraftwerk and dr atmo/oliver lieb)

Despite this big flaw I'd say that when hooked up to a powerful amp, they're the best I've heard under $100.

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #74 of 89
Quote:
The more I listen to my 240s the more I like them, but they need TONS of amplifier for something with a 55 ohm rating. 

With no amp they're unlistenable... You will get better sound from some $20-30 headphones (by far)

With a "pocket" amp or audio interface they're worth the $80 I paid

Out of a fullblown rackmount amplifier they sound as flat as my SRH840 and a cross between the energy of Grados and the smoothness of Sennheisers, The semi-open design comes into its own as well... Definitely explains why so many famous recording studios use them but so many casual consumer reviews are negative. These basically let you listen to your amplifier and if your amplifier sucks then they'll make you fully aware of that. If your amp is nice then man, such a beautiful organic sound.

However, no matter what you do, these have no sub-bass, just mid-bass. Nothing going on but flab and residue at 60hz, Not good headphones for modern electronica (although really cool for stuff like kraftwerk and dr atmo/oliver lieb)

Despite this big flaw I'd say that when hooked up to a powerful amp, they're the best I've heard under $100.

Are they really that bad without an amp? Just through a desktop will it be fine? 

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #75 of 89
I think mine sound really bad straight out of my desktop PC and laptop. The mid range becomes very harsh and the bass almost sounds like its in slow motion. The frequency range also seems to become very narrow.

If planning to use unamped then the "budget kings" like the htf600 and monoprices will sound better. If you plan to use a low end pocket amp or little audio interface then perhaps Shure SRH440 or Sennheiser HD280 which are in the same price range as the 240s.

I wasn't that thrilled with these out of my harman kardon amp either because it has a mid-bass hump and so do the AKGs so they became too warm. The 840s sound best out of that.

Out of a crisp/bright amp like my pioneer they sound AWESOME (which is from the 80s so maybe they just match the hardware the 240s were designed on). I might as well solder them into the headphone jack, match made in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back